1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Most Unfortunate NBA Careers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rox225, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Sam Bowie should be in the tragedy section.

He broke his leg. Twice. He was never the same and it ruined his career.

Ralph was not a bust. Look at his numbers prior to blowing out his knee.

I would add John Lucas to the tragedy.

2. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

DerMarr Johnson?

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

karl malone...

his career has been very unfortuante for countless noses, teeth and scrodums.

4. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

I would consider Jerry Stack a decent size bust. Once again he fell victim to the North Carolina Syndrome of being compared to MJ23, which only sets you up for failure. He has had a decent career, but decent doesn't cut it when you have that much expectation.

Additions to the list would be:
    1: Bryant Reeves (Busted a backboard and then just busted)
    2: Tom Gugliotta (Gugs never recovered from injuries)
    3: Christian Laettnar (Another Duke bust)
    4: Derrick Coleman? (Drafted #1 out of the my school the 'Cuse)
    5: Antonio McDyess (Still not half of what he use to be)

A Controversial one: Magic Johnson (HIV Infection)- Yes Magic was past his prime, but he still had plenty of years left in him. This of course was self imposed because of his lifestyle, but would you consider this a tragedy?

5. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i guess it was 3/4 years ago after he had gotten outta rehab i saw him playing pickup games at my highschool. It was sad watching Moses Malone outplay him.

Lottery Busts - Michael Olowokandi comes to mind. A 7 foot center drafted #1 who has amounted to nothing.

6. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I didn't even think about Reggie. If the Goat had stayed clean, I think everyone would have been calling Jordan and all the others, the next Goat.

Wasn't Pistol Pete's career a lot shorter than it should have been. From the talent he had in college, he should have had a better pro career. Ditto for Chris Jackson (aka Mahmoud A'bdul Raouf, I'll be suprised if I came anywhere close to spelling that right).

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My top choices:

Tragedies unrelated to basketball: Petrovic, Hurley, and Jay Williams.

Basketball related injuries: Ralph Sampson and Grant Hill.

Self-inflicted tragedies: Lucas, Tarpley, Kemp, Mad Max, Eddie Griffin.

You can see I'm Rockets biased. :)

8. Agent94

Agent94 Member

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Man...did we all forget about Bernard King? If he never went through so many injuries in his career, he certainly would have been one of the greatest. His 2 or so seasons of great basketball was something.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What about Livingston . . . .. I want to say out of LSU
    he was with the Rockets for a while

USe to be lightening quick but after busting up his knee
    a few times. . he was basically done

Rocket River

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Maybe Never Nervous should be renamed Never Mentioned. Talk about your lottery busts.

Greatest career cut short to injury ( non-fatal): Danny Manning. Seriously, could have been one of the best all around players. Ever.

Others: Hill, Hardaway, Bowie, Ron Harper, Ralph Sampson ( had sort of leveled off, but still coulda/shoulda been better), etc.

All the tragedies have been mentioned. Too many lottery busts/self-infilcted to talk about, but Derrick Coleman and Roy Tarpley deserve mentioning again. COleman, like Manning, could have been among the best ever, and unlike Manning, got in his own way. Tarpley was a monster; for those who never saw him, he was a legit 7 footer, with an inside mentality and exceptional all around athleticism.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Roy Tarpley used to give Olajuwon fits. Probably the best opponent on a consistent basis Hakeem ever faced.

Plus, that Dallas team was a damn fine team with Tarpley, Harper, Blackmon, and Aguire. I still remember the game in the playoffs when Olajuwon and Sleepy both scored forty and they still lost to the Mavs.

13. Rox225

You mean Randy Livingston? I remember there were a lot of people talking about his potential, but he never recovered from those injuries.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Connie Hawkins

He still made the NBA and eventually the HOF, but if not for the scandals that kept him out of the league for so long, who knows how great he could have been. People who saw him play put him up there with Dr. J, Jordan, etc.

http://www.nba.com/history/players/hawkins_bio.html

15. MAMI33

MAMI33 Member

I see a couple of people saying Eddie Griffin but I noticed nobody put Kwame Brown. He was a REAL bust!

16. Rox225

What about Walt Williams and even Jimmy Jackson? These guys coming out of college were supposed to be crazy talents. They have both had decent careers but more or less have fallen in obscurity.

Lets not forget Joe Smith!

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Bobby Phills Death

I know he didn't become great but was a bad ass at LSU and made shaq look second best at the time. Stanley Roberts drug problems.

18. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

Yinka Dare also passed away not too long ago.

19. pacertom

pacertom Member

need to mention David Thompson.

He was a 6'4" Jordan before there was a Jordan, and he is a Hall-of-Famer, but drugs cut his career drastically.

20. thomp1141

thomp1141 Member

My short list of tragities:

1. Reggie Lewis
    2. Petro
    3. Maurice Stokes
    4. Bobby P.
    5. Malik S.

I would include Bias, but he never did play, so I'm leaving him off.