1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Zach Lavine is eternally slept on. He's on Devin Booker or Donovan Mitchell's level, but keeps getting trashed for not being able to carry his crappy supporting cast. Like Booker last year, I bet that narrative changes this season.

2. Salvy

Salvy Member

Has @D-rock ever been away from this thread for so long? I'm legit worried.. Are you ok? Or is it something else? Like a 30 pt night from THE ROY...

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'm hoping Mobley and J.Green plays in the rookie All-Star team so we could be 1 happy Rockets family.

D-rock, i3artow i3aller and Salvy like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

His offensive game has evolved a LOT over the past couple of seasons. Dude had a legit 50/40/85 % line last year.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

My daughter turned 21 last night, I have priorities.

And I've never doubted Green's scoring ability.

Its Silas that I doubt.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Happy birthday to her! I arranged to have Jalen score 30 points for her birthday present. :D

King1, Dobbizzle, fattz and 2 others like this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Circular reasoning among our older contributors can be an ugly thing to witness. YIKES!

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Lord you are ignorant.

Neither of those guys have Mobley's upside.

No one called them Unicorn.

bloodwings19 likes this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

I hope we luck into the #1 pick in 2023 so @D-rock and the Mobley fans can geek out over Victor Wembanyama. From that point on it'll be chamionship or bust.

topfive, Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  10. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Amazing how some of you feel you have enough of a sample size to make judgments on these players lol. I know the majority of you have watched basketball for a long time and have watched players grow and succeed and fail too. So how you've basically thrown all logic out the window is wild to me.

Green is doing exactly what any young 19-year-old player with superstar potential does. Bad games, good games, bad games, good games. Dumb shots, turnovers, amazing shots, confidence, no-confidence, looking lost, and looking like a star. Y'all let emotions drive y'all far too much.

This is what we need to see from Green.
    - pre-ASG - around 5 to 10 30 point performances, I don't care much about the "lows", but I want to definitely see some "highs".
    - post-ASG - GROWTH. this can mean many things: fewer turnovers, fewer bad shots, better FG%, consistent 17-22 ppg. pick your preference.

he's 19 and is surrounded by 19 to 23-year-olds except for Wood + Eric Gordon, neither of whom are phenomenal players (albeit very good).

and yall are discussing Mobley as if we didn't grab Sengun too. Green + Sengun > Mobley + whoever we'd get at 14 imo

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

Gasol was much more impactful in Memphis than LaVine in Minny/early-Chi. What you’re trying to say, I guess, is that LaVine’s career may turn out to be as great as Pau’s? I guess that’s a possibility, he’s quite young. He’s been generally disappointing, but he had a breakthrough last year. Gasol was a horse in Memphis, but the kicked it up another notch afterwards, so it’s a high bar.

But that’s besides the point. We are all using comps for illustrative purposes, ultimately these players will be their own names. You can’t really use the hypothetical future career of LaVine as a comp example, that’s silly.

The point is a 7-footer with good all-around skills and a Pau-Gasol/Chris Bosh potential went #3. You don’t pass on that with #2 unless you see a Kobe/MJ-like potential. And if you listen to Clutch podcasts, who gets some vibes from the inside, that’s what they saw in JG. For people to say we drafted for the Zach LaVine potential, that’s stupid. LaVine was drafted #13 and he just put it together in his 6th season and second team. Why would you pass on Mobley for that? Do you think the Rockets front office is that clueless? They’re not. They saw much more in Green…

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

You still just don't get it.

I love that Green was on fire last night too.

I have preached patience and said it would happen eventually.

Salvy likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

I do like Wembanyana.

But he and Mobley are different players.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

We Bustin' for Banchero -- wont need Victor!!

15. NewAge

NewAge Member

He had a very good 6th season with his second team. He was drafted #13. I really doubt the Rockets front office had that in mind when passing up on Mobley.
    You may very well be right about the future of Zach LaVine, but the point of the comps is to illustrate. I don’t think the future hypothetical career of Zach Lavine who is 26 year old now is an illuminating comparison for the next 3-4 years of Jalen Green’s career. If you’re talking about his Minny/ early Chicago days, I’m sure the Rockets front office expected more than that to pass up on Mobley…

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am happy Green had a good game but let's be real he got hot from 3 and we lost by double digits that's nothing to gloat about.:rolleyes:

NewAge likes this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

Banchero is also welcome. I see two years of top 4 pick or busting in our future. Then the following year, when we no longer own our first rounder, is when we point this rocket ship towards the stars. Wembanyama looks like an even more incredible prospect than Mobley. Barring injury that kid is a true freak of nature destined for the NBA's HOF.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. NewAge

NewAge Member

True, but 30 pts is 30 pts, is not an easy feat in the NBA. It’s a very promising first step.

coachbadlee and i3artow i3aller like this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Underplay if it you want. He broke the Rockets’ rookie 3 record. He’s the third youngest player to score 30. Eye-roll all you want, but facts are facts.

#1659 Houston77, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He's up there - I like him more than Chet. Im just in awe of what Banchero can do from day 1. He's plug and play.

Milos and i3artow i3aller like this.