1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson Trade Packages

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Jan 28, 2021.

?

Which trade package do you like best?

1. NYJ

60 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. MIA

30 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. JAX

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Other (state your preference in a post)

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Did u vote for trump? Same concept applied. People want Watson the player not the negatives u listed. Same as how I assume trump supporters want trump the policy maker not trump the sexual predator/perv.

As long as we don't get traded rape once again for trading away a franchise type player, we will shorten our rebuild from 15 to maybe 10 years.

Two Sandwiches and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. HTXSportsAddict

Please be five years. I don't think any of us can take ten.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/10/25/mmqb-week-7-joe-burrow-bengals-blow-out-ravens

I don’t think Texans GM Nick Caserio is going to panic trade Deshaun Watson. At this point, Houston’s carried Watson on its roster for three months with Watson coming into the building for work without really being a member of the team. So it’s not like the awkwardness is going to suddenly shake anyone there. And Caserio also has to know that there’d be football reasons for waiting until January or February. One would be that any further clarity from the legal system or the league could boost Watson’s trade value (though there’s risk it could go the other way too). Another would be that the Texans would know where the 2022 picks they get in return are going to be in the draft order. Third, there’d almost certainly be more suitors then than there are now, since some teams that don’t necessarily need a quarterback right now might decide to look for an upgrade (Giants? Browns? Saints? Steelers?), like the Niners and Rams did last winter. So I’d expect that Caserio will hold interested teams to his price (three first-rounders, plus additional picks and/or players), mostly because Caserio knows this will likely become the defining move of his time in Houston. A few other things to keep in mind …

• Ownership will play a role on the buyer side. For some teams, the allegations of sexual misconduct make a Watson trade a non-starter. But other teams have owners who are consumed with finding a franchise quarterback (I’d put the Panthers in that category), to the point where the owner could drive a trade for Watson.

• Ownership could play a role on the seller side too. My understanding is that both sides view the relationship between Texans owner Cal McNair and Watson as irreparable. It’s certainly possible now that McNair would nudge Caserio to turn over every rock on a potential pre-deadline trade, because he just wants it to be over with.

• As we wrote in Friday’s GamePlan, the league has been vague with teams (and specifically owners) on whether it would move to put Watson on the exempt list if he’s traded. That, of course, doesn’t mean it will happen. It’s just been a factor in the pace of talks.

• I’ve had people in the Texans’ building tell me Watson has handled the situation very professionally the last three months—I even had David Culley say that to me a few weeks ago. That’s obviously made the situation more palatable for people working there, and might make another team feel more comfortable trading for him.

So we’ll see what happens. We’ve got eight days until the trade deadline, and there’s a league meeting in New York this week (we’ll get into that more in a bit), which will put some of the key players in this together in one place. And one last thing, and I’ve said this a bunch: I don’t want to minimize the seriousness of the allegations here, nor do I think it’s fair to convict Watson here, either. I think it’s important that we all let the legal piece of this play out. And as for whether Watson gets back on the field while that’s still ongoing? We should know more within about a week.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/25/joe-burrow-bengals-nfl-week-7-fmia-peter-king/

• Lots of buzz about Deshaun Watson to the Dolphins, and the lukewarm “Tua is our quarterback” from Brian Flores wasn’t enough to put a lid on the speculation. (Then again, Flores neither justifies nor debunks reports or rumors involving his players, so his lukewarm response to renewed Watson trade reports was par for the course.) But a collection of bad games by needy QB teams could crowd the field—making it very good for the Texans to get more than one team bidding for Watson. I do hear that Miami owner Stephen Ross is not pushing his football people to deal for Watson right now. Which is smart. It makes zero sense for a team to deal huge assets for a player when the team doesn’t know when the player will be able to play.

• Carolina benched Sam Darnold on Sunday in New Jersey. Flores got a suspect performance from Tagolovailoa. Philadelphia will likely be in the market for a quarterback in 2022, and Jalen Hurts has been underwhelming in his big chance. So there’s a market for a quarterback in several franchises.

• “I am trying to understand something,” said one executive of a team that you would think will have at least marginal interest in a quarterback of the future. “We’re not even sure if Watson would be able to play on opening day next year because of all these cases against him right now, and Houston thinks it’ll get someone to pay three ones and two twos for him by the trading deadline this year? It’s crazy to think anyone would do that. It’s crazy for Houston to not wait till the offseason.” He’s right: Once it’s resolved whether Aaron Rodgers stays in Green Bay or goes (by next February, presumably), and once there is clarity on when Watson can play, the losers in the Rodgers derby could make the bidding for Watson intense.

• The NFL, I hear, won’t tell any franchise what it intends to do if a team trades for Watson and tries to activate him. That falls in line with the Goodellian mantra of Don’t make decisions till you have to. Ian Rapoport reported Sunday it’s expected that Watson, if traded, would be allowed to play while his case is adjudicated. All that adds up to clouds—plus the fact that the fan base for a team that acquires Watson might protest the acquisition of a player with such legal and moral issues hanging over his head.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Everybody wants for the Texans to be a respectable football team BUT after they trade DW4, Cal will still be here, Easterby will still be here and I'm still leery about Nick....He hasn't won a trade yet and only 2 of his draft picks looks halfway decent.

Just because you get DRAFT PICKS doesn't mean anything, you still have to have the RIGHT person to pick them and put it all together.

charlieaustin and Fulgore like this.
  6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If this is true it is a game changer. Phili has 3 1st rounders this year and supposedly had a deal in place that Watson vetoed. If Watson is open to Phili we will get this done sooner rather that later.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d do it for their their 3 picks right now

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/2910145/202...evived-raiders-and-more-mike-sandos-pick-six/

2. The Miami Dolphins’ sixth consecutive defeat fueled speculation their owner, Stephen Ross, would push for the team to acquire quarterback Deshaun Watson. Here’s one agent’s prediction.

An agent with decades of experience predicted the situation might unfold this way: Ross orders his team’s leadership to push for Watson; Carolina remains a wild-card pursuer amid uncertainty over whether the Panthers’ owner will push as hard; Miami makes the trade but cannot put Watson on the field until his legal cases are resolved; meanwhile, Tua Tagovailoa remains behind center for the Dolphins after the team fails to find sufficient trade value in the short term.

How awkward would that be? How unbelievable would that be? How NFL would that be?

“It all depends on if your owner is the one saying, ‘I want you to do this,’ ” a longtime exec said. “Owners tend to be not realistic about things. It still is really a crapshoot.”

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I hope Caserio would trade 1 or 2 of the 3 and move down and acquire more future picks.

Best case is I want the picks spread out over multiple years not just 3 this draft.

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Would Carolina do two 1st and Burns??

Would that be enough for the Texans??

If I’m Caserio I’m taking that deal easy.

14. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I don't think 4 is moving anytime soon, to many variables to his future, IMHO you would be an idiot if you payed full price for him right now and you don't know what the future holds, is Roger giving Ross any inside info on what could be happening behind the scenes? I mean he does work for the owners but would/could he do that? If I am the fins hell yea I want him but why not wait........truth be told, I think you will see teams lining up for Rogers after the season, he may only have 3-4 years left but I would take it and maybe not give away the bank.

Now if you are asking less then the 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders or if there is some type of contingency if 4 goes to jail or is suspended then I would be open if I am the Fins......4 is not coming in this year and leading them anywhere except maybe out of a top 5 pick

Were all speculating at this point but I will be curious to see what the week brings

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Doesn’t look like a very good QB draft so we’ll either want future 1st round picks in trade to address that position or tank to ensure that our own 1st rounders are top of the 1st round quality

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Which picks look decent to you?

18. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Dude gtfo here. Don't bring politics into this. I want to get as much out of a trade for him just like any other fan. All I was saying is that its sad that he is still held in such high regard around the league.

raining threes and Htown Legend like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It was speculated that the Grand Jury could make a decision by the end of October. If no charges are brought, don't see Goodell stepping in and doing anything from his standpoint. Even if he did, any suspension would likely be served this season which most of the teams probably wouldn't care all that much. I also think a trade would push DW4 to settle the civil suits as well. Obviously the biggest risk is possible jail time but IMHO, I think that risk is relatively low.