1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I wish he could move the ball like he can move bowls of soup.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think starting Sengun would greatly help KPJ out. He doesn't have to be a pure point. Let him cut off the ball and give it to Sengun WAYYYYY more.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This makes me so heppe ....

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He's on pace to shatter the single season turnover record, so that's something.

He also might average more turnovers than assists. That has never happened for a guy who got 5+ apg before.

5. thedude077

thedude077 Member

They could've won that game last night if it wasn't for his turnovers. They are a good team, and fun to watch. But they make so many damn turnovers..

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Scooter is just trying too hard. Forcing. Not allowing the game to flow through him and making some bad decisions. I've seen the passing skill on display plenty already, he just needs to tighten up his handle and make the solid plays vs trying to make a highlight out of everything. Stop the bounce passing on breaks. Stop the congested passing.

Im still on-board. 5.3 APGs per game while being the "worst PG in history?" ? I'll take it.

Insert your turnover comment here -------> ___________.

7. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Geez, I had no idea he combined for 17 turnovers in the two losses. Just hope it's one of the those thing where he will steadily improve as the season goes. You're already seeing Jalen Green and Sengun learn the NBA game just three games in.

I could give a damn about wins/losses this season. Just play hard and keep improving.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We're past the Harden-esque eccentric offense that KPJ is trying to run. We have Sengun, Green and other few others that can playmake. Enough with the Moreyball limited offense

fattz, xtruroyaltyx, JW86 and 6 others like this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They are trying to teach him in real time. I wish they would have just sent him down to the G-League to play PG for sometime but I'm sure that wouldn't have gone over well.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He can be a great SG, but the jury is way out on him at PG.

DD

conquistador#11 likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They did that last season, it's when he was schooling the entire league.

He's shown at both the G league and NBA levels that he can be a really good point guard, he's just inconsistent as many 21 year old kids are.

This season is about him needing to consistently play the right way and he's struggled...but that should be expected. The important part is that he's showing flashes of what he can do.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

LaVar Ball says LaMelo isn't happy coming off bench; Hornets coach says rookie has 'got to get better'
    I wish Silas did something similar with KPJ.

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Link?

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Jalen has shown flashes. Al-P has shown flashes. Even Usman Garuba has shown flashes. From preseason to now I have yet to see KPJ flashes. He's not a natural PG or playmaker and it's showing. He looks like a guy who is a natural shoot first SG with an invisible guy on his shoulder telling him "Dont forget to pass sometimes!" and then bam. Turnover.

Not going to give up on him after 3 games. He should man the PG for the season but I'm hoping he has it in him to figure it out.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you saw no "flashes" with a guy who had an 18 points 10 assists game? A guy shooting 40% from 3 on the short season?

C'mon, there's at least "flashes" in that even if you ignore everything before this season.

He's not a pure PG, sure. He's a combo guard like Harden, like we hope Green might be one day.

Zen Tabak and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. vince

vince Member

KPJ is q good player. But if he doesn’t improve his efficiency, he may end up as a liability. The dude has talent, but everyone is only given so much time before, they are cut down to size.

Green’s explosiveness is spectacular. If KPJ doesn’t pan out at PG, he may relegate himself as a 6th man instant offense off the bench. Green looks like a spectacular talent, he’s the SG now and in the future.

Green is something else though!!!

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

KPJ needs to pull a Kyrie:

"I just looked at him, and I said, 'You're the point guard, and I'm going to play shooting guard.' That was as simple as that. It's not a mystical conversation that we had."

Green should be handling primary ball handling Duties about 80% of the time at this point when he and KPJ are in the game together.

20. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Y so… serious? It was joke but damn you act like you’re related to him or something as personal as you took it?