1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone that thinks JG's defense is bad, does not know what they are watching, period.

What he is doing in spite of his physical weakness is highly impressive. His attentiveness to the scouting report in particular. I did not expect him to be such a pest with his hands. It bodes really well going forward.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

LOL, if Jalen Green and KPJr are getting in each other’s way and KPJr needs to play with bonehead EG for some odd reason in order to learn how to be a PG, then KPJr is the one who should be coming off the bench, not Jalen Green.

DD isn’t making any sense

imagine benching Jalen Green, the guy u just drafted 2nd overall, in order to placate KPJr, the guy u got for a top 55 protected pick…and then after Jalen Green drops 30, u still double down on this asinine position

there comes a point in time where u just gotta be like “u know what, I was wrong”

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

IMO, just let KPJ average 10 turnovers a game for a few months. Let’s see If he improves. He has the talent and he loves Silas and Houston. He is going to work his butt off for us. Let’s allow him to make mistakes for a while, because the reward could be immense.

vator and hakeem94 like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

vator likes this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Green needs to learn to flop like skinny guys before him. Watch how Kevin Martin and Lou Williams did on drives to get calls.

ilias and hakeem94 like this.
  6. i3artow i3aller

Green still strikes me as a bigger bouncier Gilbert Arenas. I can't wait for his handle to finally click for him. He should have a ball in his hands at all times. Dribble a tennis ball around the apartment until the neighbors complain if he has to. For it's over the moment he learns to change speeds/direction in tight spaces while remaining within his own rhythm. Add that along with a couple counters (as well as that floater he's already working on) and he'll be able to get any shot he wants for himself or others whenever he wants. He's already adept at hitting the corner three point shooters and his roll man as a 19 yr old newb. Five to six assists a night in his prime should be light work.

hakeem94, Reeko and ThatBoyNick like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Fck no breh lol

He can improve in practice, he can improve coming off the bench, he can improve in the g league, he can improve over seas.

You don’t let anybody average that many turnovers on your team unless they are a James Harden level talent. Players need to earn their roles, if you let KPJ keep his minutes and role despite his obvious super lazy play, terrible body language, poor shot choices and poor team ball decisions then he has to face the reality that he will get benched and lose his minutes, that’s just how the league works.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Dd could say whatever takes he want bro and doesn't have to admit he is wrong yet. It's literally been 3 games. We sht on posters for knee jerk reactions (Green experiement over, Mobley is the one thread) can't Gauge how bad of a take it was.

He sees it his way, u see it your way. Honestly rather have potentially sht suggestions for Green over those Mobley dck riders pining for a man who has never played for us.

Bench vs start has both compelling arguments. But one thing for sure sengun needs to start man is not learning jack sht playing behind theis

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I honestly see zero compelling arguments for benching Green…that was a bad take the moment he pressed send on the post

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Meh
    I don't like it either, but old school coaches do that sht. U got to earn your play time by doing well in practice. If I recall correctly dd is one of that wanted culture change letting an unproven rookie play over other players may irk him idk I'm not dd.

All I'm saying is there have been instances where rookies do sit on the bench to learn.
    Lol tbh now that I think about it seems like a dumb take for a rebuilding team. We literally have no vets for Green to soak up knowledge from. Ego isn't exactly the player u want to follow.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

we don’t have any evidence that Jalen Green hasn’t been doing well in practice tho

His reason for benching Jalen Green is because he and KPJr are supposedly the same player and Green stifles KPJr’s development as a PG which is just ridiculous, it doesn’t even have anything to do with accountability and culture change. If it did, then KPJr’s abundance of terrible turnovers and occasional bad body language after he’s messed up as a 3rd year player should have him coming off the bench. Jalen Green is just a rookie who started off slow like many rookies do.

How is Jalen Green stifling KPJr’s development, but a chucker like EG is the solution he needs? DD talks like EG is some high BBIQ vet and calming presence on the court who doesn’t need touches. Like he’s some leader and low usage player who doesn’t need the ball.

Jalen Green had 30, and a good amount of it was via spotting up and running the lane in transition. How did he stop KPJr from being a PG tonight or in the 1st 2 games?

through 1st 2 games

KPJr: 14 shots a game in 28 mpg…29% usage
    Green: 13 shots a game in 29 mpg…19% usage

tonight

KPJr: 12 shots…27% usage
    Green: just 18 shots in 36 minutes even tho he was on fire…26% usage

Eric Gordon has averaged 23% usage and 14 shots a game since he’s been in Houston

So wth is DD even talking about?

Dobbizzle and vator like this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Old school mentality where rookies need to sit and soak up the game, McHale coaching 101. Lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I understand your reasoning in a way. But the reasons to start him supersede that. First and foremost the Rockets want to lose this year to get another top 5 pick and they are crossing their fingers for a to 2 pick. Also Green is just not a player that you start on the bench he is too good. You want him to get experience a lot of minutes so he takes off in his third year hopefully the leader of the team. KPJ or anyone else be damned in my opinion.

The Rockets want Green to get minutes, also develop the other young players. Get a high draft pick. They don't give one damn about Gordon or Wood except for what they can get for them in a trade (I also think there is 0 chance they will sign Wood) Wood getting stats on this team and paying him a large contract won't happen. Wood will get his money and he deserves what he gets but it won't be on the Rockets.

I hope that helps you understand what the Rockets plans are better :D

Dobbizzle and DaDakota like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

if he was really about that old school mentality, then he’d be campaigning for KPJr to be on the bench watching Augustine to learn how to be a PG…this man is throwing the ball all over the court, and it mostly ends up in the opponent’s hands

Didn’t he turn the ball over while trying to signal to the refs for a TO during the 2nd quarter? Even rookie year Westbrook would be shaking his head at that

Dobbizzle likes this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I can't remember what I said before preseason

23 pts....4 rebs,.....4 Ast's

I'm sticking with it.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Of course if we go hard core @Bobbythegreat stat manipulation fantasy stuff
    and throw out that first game gifted to the T-Wolves by the refs:

Jalen Green in the last two games: (per game avgs)
    30.9 mins...19.5 pts...7.5 (FGM)...14.5 (FGA)...51.7% (FG%)

4.5 (3PM)...7.5 (3PA)...60% (3P%)...3.5 (Reb)...2.5 (TOV)

1.5 (Blks)...1.5 (StL )................now in 36-mins 22.7 pts per game.

Just messing with you BobbyG

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

His performance right now is hinged upon him getting hot from the 3. He seems to be doing better from spot ups.

I think once he figures out how to pick spots on drives, and learn to get to the line he will be a consistent scorer

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

My expectations of Green were never that high and my biggest fear was that he would be a bust, so having a historic night, breaking the Rockets rookie record for 3s, in only his third game, I could not be happier and eases some of those fears.

With that said, even before his breakout game tonight he was showing better playmaking the last few games than I expected. Still don't think he will ever be an elite playmaker which would put a ceiling on his offensive upside, but better than expected, adequate playmaking would raise his floor as well. And even when he was struggling with his shot, he did not force anything, made the extra pass when he could have taken some himself, and overall just played within the offense. You could criticize him for not being aggressive, but on the bright side imo it showed good bbiq, and when his shots fell he went off in historical fashion.

My other two concerns were defense and finishing at the rim. Defense is going to be a long term thing and we will have to see how much weight/strength he can put on, but the effort has largely been there. Finishing is still a work in progress, for as athletic as he is, he's getting blocked at the rim way too many times. He's had zero dunks before today, and even now it was two (spectacular) wide open fast break dunks. He was 1/6 on shots inside the arc today besides those. I'm not too concerned about this though, he doesn't shy away from contact due to his football background, so added strength may be all he needs.

As a skeptic you could say he's not going to hit 8 threes every night so this is an outlier. But he did. In his third game. As a 19 year old. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't damn impressive. Great job.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Green's defense is definitely a plus right now. He still makes mistakes as expected of a rookie, but he is at worse average.

He's a very unique prospect in that he is seemingly built for modern day basketball. He takes a lot of 3s with an insane amount of confidence, even when he is missing (which, in my opinion, is a very good thing for such a young player). After today's game, he is shooting 38% from 3 on 7 attempts per game, basically a little better than what he averaged in the G-league. However, he's also ridiculously athletic, easily in the highest tier compared to the rest of the league, but this is almost an after thought because of his shooting profile.

He's basically going to be nearly unstoppable if he can continue developing his 3 point shot. There are little to no players in the league right now that have a combination of size, athleticism and sharp shooter, but he looks like can be the first player to possess all 3.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  20. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

This is a satire post, right? I'm excited about Green's potential, but he is absolutely atrocious at defense. The eye test and the numbers (112.7 defensive rating) both agree.

Corrosion and cmoak1982 like this.