1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Dune - Denis Villeneuve

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, yeah, you're right, I was just trying to give them the most charitable interpretation possible.

Xerobull likes this.
  2. droxford

droxford Member

Saw it and liked it very much

The bad:

I don't think the movie is slow - I think the soundtrack is slow.... and CONSTANT. I love the work of Hans Zimmer, but it was just too much soundtrack.
    They whisper the dialogue way too much. Made it hard to hear and understand some parts of the movie.
    The end of the movie was kinda anti-climactic.

The good:
    From the trailers, I thought the lead character (Timothée Chalamet) was poorly cast and would do a terrible job. He actually did an excellent job and so did the rest of the cast. Rebecca Ferguson, Jason Mamoa, Josh Brolin, Oscar Isaac, Javier Bardem, Stellan Skarsgard, Dave Bautista all did excellent work.
    The visual effect and CGI were excellent.
    The story is too complicated to go from start-to-finish in one movie, and I'm glad they're not trying to.
    The soundtrack sounds great (even though there's too much of it)

I will watch again (probably several times). It is definitely be best visual representation of the story.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The only thing I didn't love was (a) lack of screen time for Yueh and the Baron (b) it ended in a weird spot.

But it's really good.

Rocket River likes this.
  4. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I am a fan of Dune so really wanted this movie to be good: Biased 7/10

- Cinematically was amazing, really takes you into that world
    - Great cast, wish though they had a little more diversity at the top levels. Arab owners of the oil being saved by the white man, its 2021 people
    - Felt like it was rushed in parts where it makes little sense, is there no concept of controls, how the attack occurred with security systems in place was silly
    - May not appeal to wide enough an audience as the story in itself is complex and the delayering was not as satisfying IMO

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Rumors of a 4+ hour directors cut.

TimDuncanDonaut and tinman like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Xerobull and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

If a 4 hr cut, the stuff not shown better be part 2. :D

At 2+ hr in length, the theatrical cut actually felt good, didn't drag. I fear a 4hr edition, may ruin the current generally positive reception of the film.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Probably will appear on the 4K Blu-ray

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Just watched it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The wife didn't.

No Worries likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

Give her the voice

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

"Honey, if you go see this movie with me, we can go clothes shopping afterwards."

TimDuncanDonaut and Xerobull like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is just too much.

DD

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

ZZZ BORING! TLDW?

15. Xerobull

If you have to bribe your wife to see a movie, your next move should be to bribe her to leave.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

The Duke was a brown!

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Villeneuve has publicly stated that the current cut is the directors cut, in response to Momoa asking for a director's cut.

18. Xerobull

There will be some sort of extended cut to sell Blu-Rays.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saw it over the weekend and loved it. Definitely difficult to find an ending when the decision is to split it into two movies. I think Denis did his best there. I thought it was interesting that he didn't go out of his way to explain every little thing in the world building. Some of it people will just have to work out for themselves or be a bit of a mystery (like the mentats and why they were necessary). Also liked that the director replaced some of the unfortunate voiceover from the 1984 version with characters speaking, but speaking in languages the on screen characters wouldn't know so as to make it more of a moment for the viewer, but not take you out of it (like when Liet-Kynes remarked "He shall know your ways as though born to them" in the Fremen language). In some cases that wasn't possible and it made things a little awkward, like when Shadout Mapes presented the Chrysknife to Jessica...you would have to have read the books to understood everything that was going on in that scene.

In general, very happy with what we got. Reasonably pleased with the box office response so far and I hope the studio decides to make part 2.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

People were favorable to the Synder Cut because it gave their fans what they wanted and had the benefit of lowered expectations.

I think the edits were fine if it was done to showcase eye candy with just enough detail to get the movie going. Denis's films are known to "drag" at the expense of scenery but if this were 30 years ago, the pacing would be just fine.