1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

perhaps he wants to develop the other parts of his/their game/s?

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

I gotta say, the JG fan-club is incoherent.
    “why U hatin’ on Rox players?” and “let’s hate on EGO and KPJ”
    “#2 picks, that we tanked for, is a hit-or-miss historically”, and "this #30 pick that we got for nothing should be better than this”
    ???

This KPJ kid comes from rough background and dealt with serious mental health issues till now. He”s shown flashes of brilliance, but still lacks in many areas. JG hasn’t shown sh|t so far. he’s younger but hasn’t dealt with the type of issues in his life that KPJ. Also, #2 pick comes with higher expectations and more money than #30 pick: sorry, you gotta calibrate your assessment to expectations.

This guy was #30 pick in 2017, he gets love from everywhere now and got a nice bag this summer. Are you telling me KPJ is behind him in development?

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

weird rambling post…I want my 5 seconds spent reading this back

5. j@amc

j@amc Member

Nice to see another game with 10 assists. Much of that had to do with teammates actually shooting like NBA players on the wings.

I do hope the Rockets will keep working on their break. They were much more organized against OKC, running as a team and taking the easy pass.

6. vator

vator Contributing Member

Genuinely glad he had a bounce back game, not because I predicted he would a few pages ago, but I really would like to see him succeed. That said, the reason I thought he might have a good game is because the Thunder have an even younger team than us so I figured the defense would offer minimal resistance. I was really going to be shocked and concerned if he threw out another stinker. I think the book is out on KPJ to be physical with him at the point of attack and harass his dribble. Every team we played did that after the first preseason game and he didn’t respond well. Interested to see how he adjusts to that as the season progresses. All that said, I’m proud of him. He played well last night.

#926 vator, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

When I get sad I read these threads and then I’m happy again!

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Damn he looked good yesterday. He has developed quite a a package of offensive moves.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He showed it last year too. He's got the ability to do amazing things, he's just not consistent with it at all. One night he'll be an absolute terror scoring at will and making excellent passes and the next he'll look like he did in game 1.

He's still incredibly young, so I'm hoping that consistency will come with time.

fchowd0311 and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Thought he would be a much better defensive player. Got all the tool but something is off.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He was pretty good last night. 2 steals and 2 blocks.

D-rock likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

westbrookesque

13. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Yes. I think he is a very good NBA starter but he is not a Point Guard…..a Small Forward. When he play against Boston and going against Smart….we will see

vator and hakeem94 like this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Smart is a good test. He pressures the ball handler extremely well. This is going to be a test of his ball security.

vator and hakeem94 like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Did you even watch the last game?

16. conquistador#11

Eliminate the term point guard and just take turns at playmaking during stretches with, Tate, Sengreat, Porter, Gordon and Wood

Verbal Christ, D-rock and PatBev like this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

yes, those are the reasons why I think he has all the tools

Over the preseason and the last two games, I think he's below avg as a 1-1 defender (keeping his man in front of him), being in the right position and helping (team) defense.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

9 assists man, best playmaker on team. Period.

eliefor3 and Plowman like this.
  19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I would consider his first year a wash. That's just the reality of the situation and the danger of evaluating players against other players. Do you really think playing next to wall and dipo was any easier than playing with Kobe? How do you equate the maturity issues and lack of support system he has in his first year ?
    Point being let the kid develop on his own, stop saying he is this player or they player. His situation is unique, let him develop uniquely.

20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Hardenesque?