1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

a lot of it has to do with having gratification in "being right". The people who were against drafting Green are the ones who already gave up on him being anything special after one regular season game. Their motive is wanting to be right.

dmoneybangbang and Verbal Christ like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

So you consider historically bad +/- grade to be neutral or even positive????

LOL

Now I've heard it all.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

You're wrong.

I was against drafting Green over Mobley.

But I've preached patience from jump since then.

Green will have more games like this until he gets stronger AND develops his defensive IQ.

His scoring will come.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Obviously my claim isn't universal for everyone. For some my explanation is the case.

5. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

The question isn't so much of can he be q great player, but along the line of can he be a great point guard.
    He so far while being a willing passer does not have the skills to be a point guard. For many years in Houston James Harden fell into this bucket.
    Porter is young and has to learn the position. Houston had the worst record last year and is sitting their most established player.
    Minnesota made moves last year to get some veteran leadership and have much better continuity than the Rockets.
    They physically bullied Houston. Theis actually is solid, but does not solve our interior issues against a physical team like this. Cannot really expect him to stop KAT, but we lost this game on the boards and with TWolves offensive rebounds.
    Green did not have a good game, but he was not set up well. Somewhat of a Silas issue, but more so due to Porter learning the point guard position. As tough if a watch as it is we have to give this more time before passing too much judgment.

RocketOrg likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

O/U 6.5 turnovers?

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  7. 34to11

34to11 Member

So rather than admitting a simple mistake you're now resorting to pathetic straw man arguments?
    Dude, stop embarrassing yourself.

Just acknowledge your error and do better going forward.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

O/U 35.5% shooting from the field?

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

-37 was not a mistake, it is a fact.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Honestly curious how would you extrapolate Mobley's -18 the other night? Seems like everyone just glanced at the basics and forgot that for most of the game he was a non factor - garbage time stats notwithstanding. Blessed with vets to shield and protect him and somehow all eyes are on Jalen Green. How has Cade Cunningham done so far - oh wait. Peace my guy!

34to11 likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

-18 was not great but -37 is horrendous.

It is what it is.

But it's also just 1 game.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. 34to11

34to11 Member

And you were too dense to understand what it reflects and too stubborn to admit it
    ...or too dishonest to admit you were full of **** from the start.

That's why you keep trying to shift the argument, lol. You'd rather be pridefully wrong than humbly corrected.
    But it is what it is. Your shifty responses tell me you inwardly know you were wrong anyway.

We can move on.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Isn't it curious that only Green is immune from box +/- now?

We've used this stat as ONE of the metrics to determine productivity after EVERY game for YEARS.

Sounds like it's YOU with the agenda and BS narrative.

14. dmoneybangbang

But but but but Ja and Luka….

Perhaps those are the exceptions?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  15. vator

vator Contributing Member

I'm predicting a bounce-back game tonight for KPJ. So far, we have played 4 preseason games and 1 regular-season game and he has only played well 1 time in 5 attempts. He is due. Hell, he is past due and we need to get him on the phone with a collection agency. I think tonight, against a young and inexperienced Thunder team, he may be able to get into a rhythm. They are also coming off of a crushing defeat at the hands of the Utah Jazz. Hopefully Green can get off as well, but this is only his 2nd game of real NBA action so I'm a little on the fence in regards to what I think a reasonable amount of production should be for him right now.

D-rock and NewAge like this.
  16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Some waaaaaay too early numbers for our backcourt

Porter
    Offensive Rating : 81.0
    Defensive Rating : 112.1
    Net : -31.1

Green
    Offensive Rating : 87.5
    Defensive Rating : 137.0
    Net : -49.5

Porter AND Green(~23 minutes)
    Offensive Rating : 84.7
    Defensive Rating : 119.6
    Net : -33.9

Green NO Porter(~11 minutes)
    Offensive Rating: 91.3
    Defensive Rating: 169.6
    Net : -78.3

Porter NO Green(~3.5 minutes)
    Offensive Rating: 55.6
    Defensive Rating: 50.0
    Net : 5.6

Numbers say(in an extremely small sample):
    Porter was the most negative for our negative offense.
    Green was extremely negative for our negative defense.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The early part of the draft is all about projection - What does that player project to become in the best case scenario.

Definitely an imperfect art .....

After you get past the lottery , teams start drafting based less on projection and more of what they can actually do.

amaru likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

People really do blow everything out of proportion around here ..... One good game and Player X is the next MJ , one bad game and the experiment is over .... people are nucking futs.

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Going to be tougher than expected. OKC has long guards and Dort is a great defender. Better than okogi who seemed to frustrate KPJ the first game.

Although not sure if Dort is playing or if he'll be stuck on to one guy, guess we'll see.

OKCs front court is actual garbage though so Wood should feast offensively and Sengun should be able to look better than he did against Minny.

D-rock likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

To be honest, the whole "it's just one game" thing is not exactly accurate. He's got a pretty large track record given the preseason and last season for how bad he is.... even though he has through the roof potential.

I think we can just be honest with ourselves at this point that KPJ is a pretty bad NBA player and especially PG. Turnover prone to the extreme, bad defender, and streaky shooter at best.

But.....

I think his natural gifts gives him so much potential upside that it's worth it to give him more time to see if he sort of figures it out. However we should be honest with ourselves that a player that's as bad as he is right out the gate is likely going to need MULTIPLE years to figure it out. Will probably take a stint overseas maybe, or at least a few NBA teams on minimum deals. If the Rockets have the ability to get him three years of experience in one this season then great. Maybe he can be a player towards the end of the season.... but the track record shows that players like this often get beat out sooner rather than later, and after they go to the bench, they often need a change of scenery.

I really really hope I'm wrong, but we really need to be more honest with just how bad he is at the moment despite the talent.