1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patience People, Rome Wasn't Built in a Day and Neither Will This Rebuild

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Oct 21, 2021.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Kings about to be successful af confirmed.

burlesk likes this.
  2. bj3175

bj3175 Member

We will get there. If the youngsters play hard for now wisdom and winning will come later. Right now the team has to craft an identity about what type of basketball team they want to be and build habits with those principles in mind

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Green= 6'6 with 6'7 wing span. Needs to improve ball handling, change shooting mechanics, doesn't play D, but he has the Kobe mentality is all I hear. Mobley = 6'11 with a 7'4 wingspan. Dribbles great for a big man. Plays good defense with great defensive awareness. Good shot blocker. Great shooting touch.. his only knock needs to get stronger.
    1 guy = can't can't can't can't
    1 guy = can can can can can....

Milos, Plowman and DaDakota like this.
  4. msakes

msakes Member

When Jalen Green is handling the ball in the half-court he seems to always be working away from the basket. Even when he is outside the 3-pt line at the top of the key he will turn his back to the basket and sort of work towards the half-court line as he is trying to diagnose his options. He is hesitant to drive to the tin, so much so that he literally does the opposite. He has jitterbug/electric athleticism that is easy to see but at this moment in time (after game #1 of his NBA career) he knows very little about how to deploy his athleticism. Both Jalen Green and KPG take superfluously difficult perimeter shots and need to seriously develop their decision making and ball security this year. Conversely, last night Sengun looked like a mix between an athletic version of Nikolas Jokic and Andre Kirelenko in his prime.

I am with the user who started this thread, it is WAY too early in these young guy's career to make any sort of genuine or shrewd evaluation on who they are/will become as an NBA player. I think we need to see them play in 45-50 games, and maybe even a full NBA season before passing serious judgment on them.

burlesk likes this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Sorry this doesn't apply to rookies name Jalen Green. For him, Success is the only part of Success.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Patience people. Tilman did not destroy the team in one year and he will not fix it in one year.

Tilman destroyed the team in 3 short years. Now he has 3 short years to fix it! ;)
    DO SOMETHING TILMAN!

7. steddinotayto

Do we count last year as Year 1 or this year as Year 1?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

I consider this year one.

Last year was the “final” tear down. This is year one post tear down.

9. steddinotayto

Makes sense.

10. msakes

msakes Member

Tilman/Cal are ranked 1&2 as the GOATs at expedient franchise demolition

J.R. and javal_lon like this.
  11. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Another was OKC Thunder - Scott Brooks. KD and Russ went 23-59 in one season and then 3 years later they made it to the finals.

steddinotayto likes this.
  12. msakes

msakes Member

Agree with this. We need to come out of this season knowing who our core 4 or 5 young guys are who have taken ownership of the team/locker room and hopefully seeing a budding culture of hard work and joy in doing that hard work together. Excited to see these guys grow throughout the season.

burlesk likes this.
  13. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Rome was built with bricks tho... won't take long

fattz, burlesk and ThatBoyNick like this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The 76ers. Then they figured out Brett Brown was the real problem.

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Amen on that brother. I remember you being here back in the dark ages - I mean hell look at your user name - it is a combination of Rocket players from that era (Steve Francis, Eddie Griffin, Cuttino Mobley, Mo Taylor, Kelvin Cato). I have been a Rocket fan ever since they drafted Dream out of UH in '85 and suffered through many years where they were always a playoff team but never were able to put it all together (outside of the one year that they lost to the Celtics in the finals - a Celtics team that was one of the best in NBA history). Now you talk about spoiled? How about having a team that has a once in a generational talent in Olajuwon and future Hall of Famer, go to the Finals early in his career, and then be stuck in neutral for many seasons after that. Hakeem had been with the Rockets for almost 10 years before he led them to back to back NBA titles. Carroll Dawson (the GM at the time) tried to extend this window as long as possible by first bringing in Drexler and then later Charles Barkley. We all remember the Scottie Pippen experiment or disaster?? Oh wait, not all of us do (not talking to you steddinotayto) but these posters like juanming, fattz, and others. I remember even forking out some serious change for NBA League Pass to watch Steve Francis, only to see him miss like 30 something games (that was the last time that I did that!).

There was even a post that I did on Kelvin Cato for goodness sake that got recognized by Clutch as a good post on the front page. Those were the days. We have been too spoiled around here by the recent success of past Rockets teams. I admit that no one was more frustrated than myself that we couldn't get to the finals with Harden here (I still think that if Chris Paul hadn't gotten hurt in the WCF, we would have made it). Maybe it is the owner and as a result, Darryl Morey saw the handwriting on the wall as did Mike D'Antoni. With their departures, it made it easier for Harden to force his way out.

From everything that I have seen on Tilman, I am not impressed and frankly quite underwhelmed. However, I am willing to give the guy a chance and I think it is too soon (just one game) to pass judgment here. Let's see how the season progresses and develops and re-evaluate at the end of the year. I think we will see a lot of changes and good stuff come about and we can look back at this thread and laugh at some of the reactionary posts.

16. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Young teams will have bad defense and lose games. Things will get better but it will take time. Instant gratification is seldom achieved in sports.

17. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

My biggest issue right now is this team needs a veteran PG. Honestly John Wall would help their team tremendously if he promised to be a team guy and distribute the ball to the young guys, be a good leader and defender and take care of the ball. As constructed, this team does not have a PG at all, even Augustin is more like a really small 2 guard in my opinion.

If they think Porter is a young Harden that's fine, but they need to realize even Harden always played with a PG. Lin, Paul, Westbrook. Without starting a true PG this team is going to average 20+ turnovers a game and might finish last in the West. That could hurt their long run development more than Wall taking a couple shots away from Porter and Green. Again, if Wall pledged to be a veteran ball handler/distributor and helped limit the team TOs, he could actually really help. It's too bad. I hope they get some type of a PG, or point forward like Simmons to help take care of the ball and cut down on the slew of turnovers this team will have.

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'll just note that while Rome wasn't built in a day, after self-serving, venal, idiot emperors like Caligula, Nero, and Commodus burned it all down, the rebuild didn't come close to the original. Olajuwon, er, Augustus I mean, wouldn't have let barbarians storm the gates and sack the town. Our owner has been fiddling since he assumed the throne.

HP3 likes this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

"He will bring us death, and we will love him for it."

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of fans here are spoiled by the last 20 years where the Rockets never really got to being that bad for multiple seasons. The team never had to go through this since they drafted Yao Ming basically.

Kevooooo and Manny Ramirez like this.