1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. MystikArkitect

You're probably right. We're not going to be good right away and it shows. Al-P and Greens showed flashes yesterday. Hoping that KPJ turns it around and learns from these mistakes.

34to11 likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Just take it quarterly.

End of season is probably appropriate.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This, this 100 times this......I was HOPING though that Green was that generational talent - or that KPJ might be, someone that could change our team and give it direction right away.

However, that is not the case, other than Sengun, all of our young guys are question marks in basketball IQ - they all seem to be below average on understanding the game - which can develop but usually takes a long long time, some players have it early, Lebron, Yao Ming, Cade Cunningham etc, but others take years.......

We have a team of MAYBE's........how long do you hold onto those maybes to see if you have Bradley Beal and not Hasheem Thabeet?

DD

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I don't think Porter Jr. is a point guard. I liked Green but thought he might duplicate Porter Jr. which is why I preferred Mobley. But we're in it now.

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

First bucket for Rockets was a nice play for KPJ. Simple pick and roll. Need to run plenty of that and develop a good chemistry with Wood. That should be his go to when thinking pure point.

Corrosion likes this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

I’m certainly not going to defend Silas. I view him as a cheap coach for a bad team. Yet another Tilman error.

7. amaru

amaru Member

You should always go for BPA not fit in a draft. Assuming the Rockets did their research and concluded Green would be the better player, they made the right decision.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Any conclusion they come to, no matter how thorough the research, would still be subjective. Nobody knows what these guys will turn out to be

amaru likes this.
  9. amaru

amaru Member

Exactly. It’s all subjective because nobody drafted has played an NBA game at that point. All you can do it do your research and make the best selection possible. It’s an imperfect art.

10. HROZ

HROZ Member

He needs an opportunity to be our starting PG

So happy to give him till the all star break.

Also wish we would give Brooks a chance.
    We have no spacing & we leave our best shooter out the rotation? Seems a mistake.

PatBev likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Green is going to get the longer leash, KP would be the first one to go if he does not develop according to plan.

Dobbizzle and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  12. 34to11

34to11 Member

What???
    You do realize +/- is NOT an individual stat, right?

If it were Luc Mbah a Moute would be a $40M player today.

13. 34to11

34to11 Member

What about those of us who have had questions for months?

vator likes this.
  14. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

He is not a Point Guard...we keep trying to make him out of a Point Guard but really .he is a Small Forward.

juanming and 34to11 like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

+/- is indicator of team efficiency.

Being a -37 when playing with his team is an indicator of poor individual play.

It's called an extrapolation.

16. 34to11

34to11 Member

Nah, that's called misinterpreting the stat.
    You're not the first to make that mistake but it would be even more foolish to double down.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You liked a post that preached patience yet you’re declaring after one game that Green doesn’t have it and Cade does. This is weird.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

“I was hoping Jalen Green would be a generational talent”

Comps are fun but those expectations are impossibly difficult to live up to and seems only that a certain portion of the forum cling to that as a negative after one game. I've heard of jumping to conclusions around here, but this is ridiculous! (in my best Balky voice).

Lol the foresight to see a generations worth of basketball in 32 minutes of a guys 1st game in the NBA is the grossest exaggeration of Clutch Fans ego ever. Really in awe of how many would rather be right about their own 'draft picks'. This place has reached rock bottom after one game! Unbelievable.

34to11 and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yes we need to be patient with this team. I have had the experience of watching Jalen Green in summer league, 4 pre-season games, and 1 regular season game. It is so pre-mature to be throwing out all these judgements based on such a small sample size. If he was hitting his shots like in summer league, people would be slobbering all over the guy. My only concern is whether he can grow into an NBA body. Man he is Manute Bol skinny. It is going to be very hard for hm to reach his potential without some more strength to be able to finish at the rim. I think he will show flashes of greatness, but will need at least 1 off-season if not 2 to put on the necessary muscle to be an all-star level player in the NBA.

Verbal Christ and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Everyone around here is throwing around comps - I looked up TMacs rookie season - guess what? Underwhelming. I looked up Clyde the Glyde's rookie season - guess what? Underwhelming.

This Amazon Prime style of instant gratification among fandom nowadays is just lunacy. Taking a dump on Green to pump up Sengun when the latter has been playing professional ball for years! Drawing lines after 32 minutes of a guys 1st game! SMH. Looking around at the other rookies in a "what could have been" emotion when not even drawing similar parallels in complimentary players and coaching. I've said it before too that after all the hazing and bullying most of these "fans" will just say "glad I was wrong" and jump on the bandwagon like they never slandered or disparaged the player(s). Pretty sht way to be a fan IMO some even going past the players ability and attacking personal aspects. Just crazy.

dmoneybangbang, 34to11 and fchowd0311 like this.