1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Even if Green has a spectacular season, its still going to be a long season for the Rockets. There isn't one individual on the team that's going to turn things around. That's going to take an entire team effort.

2. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I see that but for a #2 pick, it's not crazy to hope for a legend

D-rock likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Are you really comparing a rook to top 75 NBA player of all time?

Stop all these silly expectations, you're not helping him.

Allow him to be the best player he can be without the unrealistic pressure to live up to Kobe, MJ or even Harden.

Nook likes this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

If he leads chicago in a trae young type playoff run this season whihc is totally possible if will be top 15 atleast. Also Jalen is just a piece we will have Sengun and we will have our pick this year. We just need SIlas to wise up.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hurt is not a Rocket.

Corrosion and wlekfjv923n like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Green has a really good season, it'll be a productive bad season....which would be awesome.

Given the spot the Rockets are in, I'm not expecting wins, I'm just looking for their young guys to show some promise. If Sengun, KPJ, and Green show that maybe they could be something in a year or two, it'll be a really fun season from where I"m sitting.

Rocketeer likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

u can hope, but all u have to do is take a look at the guys taken 2nd overall since 2000 and see that the chance of it happening is incredibly small

I have to look it up again, but I think the #1 overall pick has a 41% chance of just being an All-Star…the chance of being a legend is extremely small

What about Jalen Green makes it so that he should be having those expectations?

D-rock and wlekfjv923n like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm not placing those expectations. I'm just stating that his ceiling is higher than Lavine. Players reaching their ceiling is typically low probability. So if I think it's a low probability, it's not my expectation.

Nook likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

More gobbledygook.

10. NewAge

NewAge Member

J.R.Smith? I don’t see much resemblance. Unless that’s another tattoo take…
    JG’s floor is all these athletic guys who never got the game, but shined in the Dunk Contest: Harold Miner, Jeremy Evans, these guys. I.e. complete bust. The ceiling, I also think is higher than Zach LaVine, but as other people have said Zach LaVine’s ceiling is higher than Zach Lavine (i.e. he can get better).

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

most likely high end outcome and ceiling are 2 completely different things…

according to many on here, Green’s ceiling is Kobe or MJ…most likely tho, he’s Lavine, and that should be the reasonable expectation

TEXNIFICENT and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Jalen Green experiment hasn't even begun.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We need a stat sheet like this for all recent Allstars first NBA game to give fans reassurance. I saw the potential in Ja Morant and Donavan Mitchell but they didn't look this lost like Green.

I have Ant man with higher potential than LaMelo.

14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The percentage for #2 picks to become legends is not high. Im not sure why everyone keeps brining up that he's a #2. #1 pick traditionally beats #2 by a ridiculous margin. Most numbers ones become allstars around 60-80% of the time #2 is like 30%

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

@Bobbythegreat tried to warn y’all! ;)

I’m kidding…he’ll be fine. (I think?)

But there’s some hedging from #GreenGang :D
    (NewAge and JayGoogle noticed it too)

“Most ready!”
    “Played in the G League against GROWN MEN!” (as opposed to Mobley/Suggs/Cade who were playing against “guys who will be working a 9-5 shift. Remember the big “G League >>>>>>>>> NCAA” debate?)
    “Played in the G League with NBA rules, NBA sets, NBA coaches, routine of the NBA!”)
    “Green is gonna come in and (if nothing else) score from day one! Certified bucket getter!”
    “Next Kobe/MJ!”

to

“Well he’s just 19.”
    “Well the coach sucks & isn’t setting him up for success.”
    ”Well the team sucks.”
    “Did I mention he’s just 19?!”

Mobley was the one who needed time to adjust to the speed and physicality of the NBA!
    Mobley was the one who needed a few years to add muscle/weight!
    Mobley was the one who needed a few years for his offense to come around!

You mean you were talking about string bean Green this whole time? :D
    @D-rock @palmsnbananas

Yeah, Green was gonna be on SC Top 10 and if we passed, “What the hell did we just pass on?!”

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

from my guy @steddinotayto

Just looking back at the drafts from 2001 through 2018, I broke down how many players went to the All-Star and/or voted to an All-NBA team based on draft positions--1 through 5, 6 through 14, rest of the 1st round, and 2nd round. The odds are:

You find an All-Star and/or All-NBA player with the first five picks: 41.1%
    You find an All-Star and/or All-NBA player within the 6-14 range: 14.2%
    You find an All-Star and/or All-NBA player in the rest of the 1st round (e.g. picks 15 through 30): 7.4%
    You find an All-Star and/or All-NBA player in the 2nd round: 2.4%

and that is just for All-Star or All-NBA…if u were to go by how many became legendary or All-time greats, u can reduce that percentage significantly…every so often u get a guy like Harden who becomes All-time great when nobody saw it coming, but that is a huge outlier and rare…if u get a player better than a Kyrie or Blake Griffin with a top pick, u have beaten the odds

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

BIG OWNAGE

D-rock and palmsnbananas like this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

When is our next game against those summer league teams? Jalen did whatever he wanted against those guys.

D-rock, hakeem94 and palmsnbananas like this.
  19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

It's one game. According to some on here it also means the Lakers will lose every game this season.

20. NewAge

NewAge Member

For those saying the MJ/Kobe expectations were ridiculous: I thought that was the case for JG over Mobley. Listen to Clutch podcasts, if the front office believed that he had the Kobe/MJ gene, then it’s justifiable: you don’t pass on Kobe/MJ for Chris Bosh… But Zach LaVine? I don’t see anyone passing on a 7-footer with all-around skills for maybe getting the next Zach LaVine…

That was my understanding, at least. Now I see in the postings that non-basketball reasons may have played a role: selling sneakers, Instagram views, instant gratification. That would be disgusting if true. If Fertita pushed for the kid because he thought he would "instantly" sell all kinds of sh|t to teens fawning over JG’s hair and shorts (or grills, or tatts, or figure skater costumes, or whatever) that would pretty low. Hopefully it’s not true.

#180 NewAge, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021