1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think KPJ has an unenviable task of not only learning how to be an NBA point guard, but also have to incorporate a #2 pick in the equation (who, by way of his draft pick, is looked upon immediately as a franchise cornerstone) in an offense that requires him to read the defenses without actual structural offensive counter plays. Yes, basketball is hard but the kid has a huge hill to climb right now.

slothy420, PatBev, Emtenndo and 9 others like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What's your timeline for Porter - if he doesn't improve by when - when do you pull the plug on the experiment ?

It's pretty obvious he has the physical tools to do all the things we want him to ..... he's got to be more assertive and consistent.

I played the point in highschool , back to back 5A state champs.

I don't think there's a whole lot of truth to that , None of us start out a finished product. Some might have a more natural affinity for the position but in general the position can be learned.

Even those who have that natural affinity need to experience situations to learn how to recognize and handle them.
    Some just don't learn from those experiences .....

The more I watch him & this team in general , the more I believe they would be better suited for a more structured offense.

Get the ball across the time line & get directly into an action that gets him down hill - no dribbling the air out of the ball & very limited one on one play.

3. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Regarding last night, I have seen better handles on a beach ball than on KPJ. Turnover machine.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We will have to respectfully disagree but I'll explain why I feel that his game was just...bad, really bad.

+/- is not a good stat for individual games though. There is a better stat for an individual game called gamescore and KPJs was actually in the negative, Greens was...5.8. Sengun, who I think most agree was our best player last night 12.2

I find that, and one of the stats people can correct me, gmsc is a pretty good stat for seeing who performed well for a specific game, not so much +/- because +/- just tracks the score of the team while someone is in.

This means Nwaba was our best player last night according to +/-, I don't think anyone watching would say that...but gmsc would say he had a 3.3, which about explains the minimal impact he had on the game while it also says KMJ had a 7, which says what we all know, he should be playing A LOT more.

So I do think he was the worst player on the floor last night, next to Tate who I don't blame because he's a role player on a team that seemingly doesn't even have roles right now...and that's on the coach.

With all that said, of course we give KPJ more time. Not like we have any other choice to right now, and we hope he gets his game together. I'm not giving up on him but that game was really bad. It's not all his fault of course...the coach doesn't seem to be helping anyone right now...no matter how bad a team is on paper they should not be playing rec league ball.

5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any chance that you can provide a link to a site that tracks the gamescore? I want to start following this line.

GotGame15 likes this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Bballreference used to have it in their boxscores, right now I only found it looking at their 21-22 stats since they've only played one game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/porteke02.html

You can go down to his season highs and see that since there is only one game his score is -2.0

But they took it down for some reason. It used to be there. If they get rid of that there is always BPM which would also be good for judging an individual game.

subtomic likes this.
  7. amaru

amaru Member

It’s likely because Augustine is the only NBA caliber PG on the roster. Even washed, he’s significantly better at the position than the other options.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Quite frankly Green was the better ball handler and playmaker than Augustine yesterday. It's just one game though.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

The -37 still cannot be completely discounted.

It was the worst +/- Rockets rookie has ever performed in last 20 years.

And the 4th worst of ANY Rockets player in same period.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Augustin was dog **** last night.

WTF????

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

People, it was ONE game.

Both Green and Porter will do better.

But this hysteria is hilarious.

Porter even as a 1st time PG in G-League ran circles around Green. Porter was clearly the better player just 6 months ago.

Porter was the better player in preseason.

Porter is still the better player.

Green should become the better player, in time.

Everyone needs to just relax.

Tato1971 likes this.
  13. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I don't think ppl understand what a true rebuild looks like. This is it, half of our roster is 21 or under, its going to take time and we are going to lose many games like last night. It's probably going to take at least 3 or more seasons before we even talk about sniffing the playoffs, there isn't a LeBron type of generational talent that's going to come in and save us anytime soon. These kids are learning and making a bunch of mistakes, but they've all shown flashes of what they're capable of... its just going to take time. I find it hilarious that people are pulling +- and other analytics after JUST ONE game.

14. dmoneybangbang

I still think we should stagger KPJ and Green until we move some veteran depth from our guard/small wing cadre.

Not every team will be as strong and athletic as the Wolves but I think staggering them will allow them to build an identity and develop. KPJ needs to learn how to play point guard and Green needs to get acclimated to the NBA.

I don’t think trial by fire is prudent with this current roster. I’m also not remotely worried yet since I predicted this team would be dog **** wrapped in cat ****.

ArtV likes this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree with this. I want them both to get starter minutes, but if playing them together ruins both of their confidence, how is it helping us?

Also, I'm starting to think Jalen needs the ball in his hands to be his most effective self right now.

amaru likes this.
  16. amaru

amaru Member

Yep it’s just one game. Augustine has proven himself as an NBA caliber guard. Our young guys have yet to do that.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

I totally agree with you. But I am beginning to worry about KPJ's visible attitude problems. The attitude of the players defines their future, and I don't see the right attitude on the field from KPJ.

34to11 and D-rock like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i have never ever seen augustine as confused and clueless as the other night... he used to always play a perfect PG game vs rockets....and i always wanted morey to get him but he never did...what happened? is it silas coaching maybe?

amaru, dragonwill and D-rock like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm not worried right now ..... but I do have to wonder when we do hit the panic button?

I kinda expected them to lose , just not like that.

From my perspective , I give KPJ this entire season to figure it out , if that hasn't happened by seasons end , I'm on the hunt for a point guard.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think it is all on him, he plays too lackidasically, needs to protect the ball and be smarter, I think he CAN do it, all the tools are there, just depends upon how he goes from here....

He sorta acts like he belongs when at 20 years old, he is far from a finished NBA player, he has shades of TWill on him for me....needs to mature and that will be the deciding factor...

Can he do that? Jury is still out.

DD