1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Winning vs Developing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketeer, Oct 13, 2021.

?

Which one would you prioritize this season?

1. Win at all costs

9 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. Prioritize development of young players

105 vote(s)
    92.1%
  1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

If you cant find the right mix of young players than make trades. Even if you have to trade Green if he doesnt pan out.

2. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

yes. But the dilemma for “winning” this year. How are people arguing for it propose it happen? Playing Wall and Gordon? Lol

Williamson likes this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It's a tank until the commander is gone. Also Gordon. And now, also Theis it's a tank until dead weight contracts are paid off.

randerson likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Developing Green, Sengun, Wood, and KPJ is critical. That might end up looking like tanking short term, but it is the best way to get the most wins long term. They might also win some games, but if that happens with 2 19-year olds, so be it.

5. SuraGotMadHops

6. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Even if we drafted Hakeem olajuwon this year instead of green, we would suck this year. Anyone who thinks team with atleast 3 19 year old rookies contributing will not suck are delusional

fattz and Corrosion like this.
  7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Let's hope kpj is our Springer, green and senguin are our Correa and lmj.

Then we just need to find our altuve and we are set.

8. fattz

fattz Member

9 players vs 5 players (I get what your saying). Here is my thought, if get to much young talent they will start to stunning each other’s growth because of over crowding. Christopher & Garuba are examples of what I talking about, Green & Sengun are get the playing time. Not complaining just observing. I think our next player add should be a younger veteran not a drafty. Restarting the timeline every year is not productive. With four rookies this year it starts now. I don’t see any building block players be available. (Simmons)

add youth to youth with an inexperienced coach, not good for the short or the long term.

hakeem94, eliefor3 and Kevooooo like this.
  9. 18pbr

18pbr Member

I thought we were 8th seed in the west and played OKC first round.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree with this for the most part - to much youth and they'll get in each others way but .... this roster needs a #1 , we don't know if we have that. Gotta get that guy somehow.
    Have to see where they end up in the next draft before we decide to use or trade that pick .... If you get a shot at Banchero or Holmgren , you take them. If not , you weigh the options ....

The other thing about youth is that its cheap relative to older players. The difference between a 5th year max and a 7th year / 10th year max is pretty vast as can be seen here - NBA Max Contracts

11. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

One does not trade their superstar to rebuild and get the No.2 pick just to come off the bench. Also, how does Green starting vs off the bench hurt his growth? Green has made a decision to play in the professional league now and he needs to understand the pressure and take on responsibility for his own growth. Either he steps up over the years or will be a bust and gone.

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

playing vs benches makes his transition to nba easier and less painful by allowing him to slowly adapt to increasingly better competition

Kevooooo likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

We don’t have a choice on winning this year…. Only development

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If we don't have a STRUCTURE, then we aren't really developing much...

DD

fattz likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Successful development is winning in the long run.

fattz and i3artow i3aller like this.
  16. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

This is completely subjective or theoretical. Besides, Green has not even played a single regular-season game to even discuss the transition.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

You mean someone like cp3? Maaaaaan that was a bad trade. Putting all my cards on the table, I didn't think it was a bad trade at the time.

fattz likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]