1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thread for Trump's Latest Nasty and Classless Acts or Remarks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Oct 19, 2021.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Or maybe he finally learned he’s not funny.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

True. I fixed the title. There will be more lows. There always are with Trump.

4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Again. This was not the time. Do you not get how wrong that is for Trump to say that?

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They aren't Christians - well, they aren't followers of the teachings of Christ at least. Anyone can claim to be of a faith, go to church, temple, synagogue or whatever, follow the customs and traditions, talk the talk but most don't actually follow the teachings of their reigion.

If they did, men like Trump could never be president.

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

The issue isn't that Trumplethinskin used Powell's death to criticize him, it's that he used Powell's death to complain about how unfairly he's been treated.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's good to hear.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I'm sure all this board's pearl clutchers will be very diplomatic in their posts when Trump dies.

Trump's a boar. Powell was a war criminal. They are not mutually exclusive.

Invisible Fan and Haymitch like this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think the difference in how we're receiving this is you care more about the messager than the message. I'm more concerned about the message.

I have seen way, way more praising of Powell from mainstream sources than I have of people *rightly* pointing out that he did awful things that contributed an untold number of deaths; that he was never held accountable for those actions and that he should have gone to prison.

I think that media, in not covering this part of his legacy - which is by far the most impactful part of his legacy - are not telling the truth about Powell the public figure.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Trump killed innocent civilians. Obama did also and Joe did. So you could label all US presidents as war criminals.

Powell was a talking head that went along with Bush's Saddam revenge tour but he wasn't the cause of the war. That lies on Bish Jr, Cheney and Rumsfield.

Trump is a special one in that he is a larger threat to domestic stability by purposefully causing controversy and dividing the country.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The more I read about people excusing, justifying, and minimalizing what trump does, the more I think we as a society deserve the leaders we get...

IBTL likes this.
  12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Agreed.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think that's the problem. I'm open to criticism of Powell's legacy. We should examine our history and learn from it. But Trump's criticism was wholly self-serving. He was butthurt to be criticized and rejected by Powell and he's just acting out his petty vengeances just as he had with McCain. His criticisms of Powell had nothing to do with the fortunes and misfortunes of the United States and everything to do with his own. That's not leadership, it's pure narcissism.

Absolutely not. I'm usually sedate and I try to refrain from holding people's human frailties against them upon their deaths. But I'll be dancing on Trump's grave. He never showed any grace to anyone else and deserves none himself. Powell, despite helping mislead the public into war, had his virtues and accomplishments. Meanwhile, we'd have been plainly better off had Trump never existed.

IBTL, VooDooPope, deb4rockets and 5 others like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Really? nearly all of the stories I've seen about Powell's death mention his role in selling the Iraq war. In the original post of the other thread a fair chunk of that is spent on Powell's role in the war and also on how Powell regretted that.

JuanValdez and Haymitch like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I've said before that I don't believe Trump is all evil and give him credit for the getting criminal justice reform passed, two COVID-19 relief bills passed and also getting the vaccine developed. Just as a thought experiment though let's consider if Trump died today Trump's history.
    Born rich
    Dodged the draft
    Got his start with $400 Million from his father.
    Had some successful real estate deals.
    Had some spectacular failures
    Gained fame in the 80's as a personality
    Co-Wrote a bestseller
    Had a successful TV show
    Hawked many products including alcohol which he didn't drink.
    Was married three times
    Had multiple infidelities
    Settled a lawsuit for a fraudulent university.
    Was elected the 45th President of the US
    Was impeached
    Lost the election
    Refused to acknowledge loss
    There was an invasion of the Capitol by his supporters
    Was impeached again and the first President to have members of his own party vote for removal.
    Continued to claim that he won.

Now compare that to Colin Powell:
    Born working class immigrant parents
    Served in the ROTC and went into the US Army as Second Lieutenant
    Served in Vietnam where he was wounded and received the Soldier's Medal of Bravery
    Rose to the rank of 4 Star General
    Was National Security Advisor in the Reagan Administration.
    The first black Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
    Helped to command the US during the first Gulf War
    Declined running for President.
    Was the first black secretary of State
    Gave an influential speech in the UN on WMD in Iraq which was later proven not fully true.
    Resigned from Secretary of State in 2005
    Broke with his party to endorse Barack Obama in 2008.
    Regretted his role in selling the Iraq war.
    Married to Alma Powell.

This pretty much sums up why Powell is being treated nicely and why Trump when he dies might not be.

deb4rockets likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

There is a time and place for criticism. This was a man who served our country half his life and fought in wars for our country. This was as a 4 star General. Trump is just a weasel of a man who used bone spurs as an excuse to avoid the military. He's a coward and a bully, who never did a damn thing in his life that wasn't all about him. He is a 10th the man Powell was and he knows it.

Trump killed more Americans than most of our enemies ever did in wars through his blatant self-serving narcissism during the pandemic surge Lies, lies, lies. All he cared about was covering the truth and raising money through campaigning. It was always about him and his ego as he turned a blind eye to the truth. He just can't refrain from taking jabs at anyone who didn't kiss his sorry ass. He has no couth. He has no scruples, and certainly not an honest bone in his body.

It's like someone saying Kobe was a rapist after his helicopter crash on National TV when the family was in mourning. It's like Biblical radicals walking around with signs saying Gays go to Hell while protesting at a funeral of a gay man dragged behind a pick-up truck and killed by homophobics. It's just not the time or place. Trump is just a vile man.

Rocket River likes this.
  17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

quoted for truth

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is Trump. .. this is not just him
    It is worse . . . .it is what every Trump supporter desires to be
    In their heart of hearts they wish they could do, be and say everything Trump does
    They don't because they don't have the Trump Level of protection
    but if they did .. . . .look out!!!

Rocket River

VooDooPope likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member