1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@YOLO - Needless to say, the longer this draws out, the better for you and our little wager. :D

YOLO likes this.
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Last time I checked, Harden still for the most part showed up and played. We just sucked and weren't going anywhere. Ben was actively looking for any reason to NOT play and blowing up a team because his feelings were hurt.

luckyman76 and 34to11 like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Pin this to the GARM every offseason and auto-lock any threads with Simmons in the title.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

actually this article mostly criticizes his lack of effort on defense... theres no mention of not being willing to shoot....

D-rock likes this.
  5. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Let's let this thread die already

Ben Simmons wasn't worth trading Harden for and he honestly isn't worth trading Tank Commander Wall for either.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly. I would trade them in a 1 for 1 Trade
    Simmons for Wall

Not that I love simmons . .. nor that I hate Wall
    It is more of a lateral move

I think Simmons will be infinitely more movable next summer than he is now
    and his chances of working here is better than in philly
    or even Wall's chances of working here

Rocket River

Amel, Kevooooo, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Why not? How is it nor worth trading a guy who makes more, much older, more injury prone, and less physically elite and ISNT EVEN PLAYING, for a 3x all star, all team, all defensive team, DPOY candidate that makes less money?

if you’re saying he’s not worth multiple first round picks, sure sure I agree. But to not even entertain wanting him as a player? That seems short sighted.

I’d take Simmons in a heart beat for the right price. We aren’t going to get an all star type candidate from Wall, whether we hold him for a year or trade him ASAP. If you’ve got a reasonable shot at getting Simmons, I think it’s silly not to try. This drama WILL blow over eventually and when he is back on the court making plays, his value will increase and we can trade him again if we want.

D-rock and tycoonchip like this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Do. Not. Want.

Last thing KPJ needs is to be surrounded by negativity. The team has a pretty good vibe about them and that’s where I’d like to see it stay.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

on the contrary..."Teams are putting smaller players on Simmons, backing off him and daring him to shoot. Simmons seems to have zero confidence in his outside shot and becomes passive when guarded this way."

luckyman76 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

I like Simmons, but if we want the ball in KPJ/Green’s hands, then I don’t see how Simmons fits in (which is why Wall is out). Maybe he’s good enough to make it moot and have them share it…if that’s the case, then I could wrap my head around parting with 2 of BKNs firsts…I just don’t see a competitive market for Ben despite how talented he is. Lowe’s podcast at the trade deadline was interesting…if you add Ben…you have to really curate a team around him, and have to do so now, hence why the 4 BKN picks were more intriguing…less limited/more flexible…but Ben is a very solid player even if he has some limitations and he was done a bit dirty by Morey with the trade rumors, so I get his frustration even if he’s handling this situation poorly. Idk…I suppose his handling is too big of a red flag, but he could be like prime Lamar Odom with us.

12. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

This is my stance too.

If it take Wall and that Milwaukee 1st i 100% do it.

Anything more and im not willing (unless Maxey or Thybulle are involved).

We have a good coaching team here, not just court wise. Im not so sure its a mental thing with Simmons though and could all be just his stubbornness. But we are set up pretty well IMO with the coaching staff (John Lucas), the opportunity, the lack of pressure - and never mind us needing a defensive pressence - to rehab the guy. If even a little bit to be able to move him next year.

We only have the one year to do it though before we need to start paying guys. So either he:
    A. Rehabs his value and we manage to move him for 75c on the dollar next offseason (considering play wise Wall is giving us ZERO cents on the dollar currently, this is a net gain)
    B. Rehabs enough that he actually plays up to his contract (even then you can still look at moving him)
    C. Nothing really happens and we have a Wall situation on our hands again with the noose being its for a longer contract.

Theres risk sure, but you can calculate it IMO

Kevooooo likes this.
  13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Simmons makes more money then wall because his deal runs 2 years longer. When the Rockets will likely want to be adding players, 2-3 seasons from now, we would still have Simmons money on the books where Wall be long gone.

luckyman76, Easy, Jayzers_100 and 2 others like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I said before I wouldn't trade John Wall straight up for Simmons (forget about adding multiple picks) - I stand by that statement today.

Simmons is a mental midget and that contract being two years longer than Wall's would get in the way of an actual rebuild in the fact that without this trade you have $59.8m in cap space in 23/24 and with this trade you have ~$12m.

I'll take the mystery box that is cap space over Simmons.

luckyman76 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Fair point... but isn't the salary cap supposed to go up around then as well....

D-rock, NewAge and Kevooooo like this.
  16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

2 more years at like 30 something each for a 20-something year old all star will be much easier to trade than John wall… Ben Simmons has his flaws, but he isn’t coming off two major injuries and doesn’t make 45m/year.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

no need to trade wall, if he has no value as an expiring next season, buy him out or just let the contract expire. The whole allstar thing is nonsense, he's not a REAL allstar so making the team has no actual on court value.

18. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think the Rockets are better off rebuilding instead of investing in Ben Simmons and trying to build some sort of contender with no clear alpha.

It would be a waste of time and money.

I also value the situation with Wall and him not impacting the team at all.

19. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I still think that Simmons contract will he moveable in the next year or two.

His stock has dropped because of his attitude and his issues with the 6ers.

As soon as he moves to another team, half of his problems will be gone (though wait and see on new ones coming up).

Russell Westbrook was moved. CP3 was moved. Both at the time considered huge nooses around the necks of the us with Chris Paul and Russ with Washington.

Theres a difference with Wall IMO because he has a long injury list.

Thats the benefit (no pun intended) of getting Simmons.

If and its a big if, he drops half his baggage, hes still a nightly triple double threat. Hes still better than say, Lonzo who has "similar" projections, he's young as hell and he doesnt have a storied injury history.

I do it for the project alone, and the potential of what it could bring - either assets in a "rehabed" trade down the line or a solid member of the team.

D-rock likes this.
  20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

ya, but he'll be making 38 and 40.3 when wall is making 0 and 0, even if the cap goes up 40 mil is still a massive % of that

luckyman76, jch1911 and Corrosion like this.