1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

There are other crosses like Santa Gertrudis and Beefmaster, but Brangus has won out from what I can see.

3. SuraGotMadHops

Went to Gatlins BBQ for the first time over the weekend, and I was impressed as hell. On Saturdays they run a beef rib special - huge dino rib, perfectly smoked, immaculate bark, tender. Spicy sausage had great flavor, and their pork ribs were the perfect state of tenderness for pork, pulls off the bone with ease but does not fall apart.

I went to Snow's earlier this year and did the whole 5am wait, make it an all day thing experience. It was fun, and the bbq was good, but honestly Gatlins tasted better to me, it's in town, and I didn't wait but 10 minutes.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

They moving the Texas monthly bbq fest to Lubbock ???

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, y'all went and got an Elon and lost yer bbq festival. Congrats. :D
    Poor girl doesn't even know who she's interviewing. lol.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The new edition of Texas Monthly's "50 Best" is out. Fort Worth is well-repped. I remember when there used to be about 4 or 5 BBQ restaurants in the state anybody heard of or wanted to try. Now those wouldn't even make the top 10-15 probably. There are so many good bbq joints out there now, there's no need to travel for good bbq unless you just want to try something different, of course.

The 50 Best BBQ Joints 2021

tinman and ROCKSS like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Had a briscuit and cheese sandwhich from a food truck at a winery outside of New Braunfels.....so good.

DD

tinman likes this.
  8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Here's the #1 place - it's in Kennedale, just southeast of Fort Worth. Will have to hit this place up soon before it get's crazy.

https://www.goldeesbbq.com

9. tinman

Supporting Member

i've been to a bunch of those places. no way interstellar is better than Franklin

BossHogg713 likes this.
  10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I might have a food problem. I read your third word in that sentence as some kind of wonderful cross between brisket and biscuits, and like Pavlov’s dog, my mouth started watering and I got suddenly hungry.

DaDakota and tinman like this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Franklin's ain't that good. La BBQ, Micklethwait, and Terry Blacks should be in the top 10 somewhere.

12. Bob Barker 007

I was glad to see Panther City BBQ at #10. That place is damn good. Terry Black's is good but not top 10. La BBQ is top 50. Cattleack is just okay, maybe not even top 50. Micklethwait is the place to go for cold and slimy brisket.

And I agree with Fort Worth being pound for pound second-best barbecue city behind Austin. Lots of good places that are finally getting recognition.

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Cattleack BBQ is 10 mins away from me, wife and I love it. Glad to see them get some much deserved accolades....

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was going to try them out before I quit my last job, but they had oddball hours, so never tried it. I should try them eventually. I had a couple of co-workers who went and said they weren't impressed, but then I've tried their bbq, and I wasn't impressed... so maybe Cattleack really is as good as they say. lol.

GRENDEL and tinman like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

I have a feeling the people who made this list wasn't of our experience of BBQ supremacy.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I dunno, but I think the top 10 were visited Vaughan or one other "higher-up" on the staff to make sure they were really that good. I've trusted most of his reviews ever since his Full Custom Gospel days and most of these places probably flip-flop around on any given day depending on when you go. Like I said, there's a lot of good bbq around these days.

The following two paragraphs pretty much sum it up for me... and Lockhart/Luling/Taylor/Driftwood and areas around there used to be the "holy land" of great BBQ, but nowadays? It's everywhere and it's varied.

What distinguishes the Texas barbecue scene today? In a word: surprises. In another word: variety. We’re talking bacon burnt ends, beef cheeks, birria, blueberry-and-Gouda sausage, brisket-topped elote, and guava-glazed pork ribs. And those are just the meat offerings. Side dishes and desserts range as far afield as Big Red tres leches cake, blistered brussels sprouts, carrot soufflé, citrus-beet salad, and brisket fried rice. And we haven’t even gotten to the wine lists.

As you would expect at a time of transformation, compiling our Top 50 list was a challenge. Even we were shocked by some of the changes we felt compelled to make. The former lodestars in our firmament, Snow’s and Franklin, no longer occupy our first or second spots (though both made the top ten and are absolutely worth visiting). For the first time, sadly, no Lockhart joints made the list (though the venerated Kreuz Market does appear in our Honorable Mentions). But the flip side of those descents is that Texas barbecue boasts an exciting freshman class: 29 of the 50 entries are new to the list, including the rookie establishment that vaulted to our number one spot.

GRENDEL, Buck Turgidson and tinman like this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

That’s in Houston brother
    And of course

19. tinman

Supporting Member

I tried out Pecan Lodge recently
    Pretty legit and great flavor

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Duh... it's the main reason I asked, considering many posters are in the Houston area and today was the first time I'd ever heard of it.