1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Dune - Denis Villeneuve

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

So true! When the trailer was first released, I was utterly disappointed to see this line and was very concerned the movie would be another Lynch movie. And the early reviews stated Jason Momoa was awesome.

After seeing 3 different trailers that gave me 3 different vibes, I've decided it was best to not come in with any expectations.

2. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I still remeber seeing 80s dune on tape as a kid. This looks so much better, I'll check it out.

It's got good review so far also

DreamShook and Ubiquitin like this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the sleeper has awaken

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I give it C+. Love the visuals, mood and cinematography, but there was too much of it IMO causing the movie to seem glacial. I never read the books or watched the 80's version but the story seem like it would've worked better in a series rather than a movie. The plot and world seem really complex and rich but due to time constraint oversimplified/compacted and came of as shallow.

5. Space Ghost

What movie would you give an A?

There is a 6 part mini series on scyfy. It sucked.

6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

From the past couple years, I'd definitely give Parasite an A+, Avengers Endgame an A. Snyder Cut's justice league an A- or B+
    Judging Films/books are highly subjective but I also tend to be more difficult than most with my ratings.

For instance I loved Wonder Women 1 and Guardians of the Galaxy 1 but hated or dislike their sequels. WW1984 was a D- or F+ imo, I loved Rogue One (A) but am not a fan of the last 3 star wars films.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will say it again, Dune is a very hard novel to make into a movie or other media. It is incredibly dense with much of it about personal reflection literally expressed in inner monologues.

I think bringing Dune to a screen is more about what you leave out than what is brought to the story.

8. cdain3

cdain3 Member

9. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

This looks dope. Looking forward to watching it.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I borrowed it from the internet. It's a long movie, I'm still watching it, but I like it. Why they made all the black people the freman in 2021 I will never know.

clos4life likes this.
  11. Space Ghost

Dune is very densely packed. I experienced what many have had from reading Dune in my teenage years. Many like myself visioned themselves being Paul Atreides on a quest searching for something much larger than themselves. After reading it a couple times, you can pick up on different themes from different lenses. Once you delve into the entire series, you then see it even more differently. After watching many of Quinns Ideas videos on Youtube, it has given me a very different perspective.

Lynchs Dune and the Syfy series were complete garbage. Villenauve's will not be so much about what is left out but more so on his interpretation of Dune. Dune reminds me a bit of The Matrix. Once you get into Chapterhouse Dune you realize Paul Atreides destiny was was one of near infinity of planned outcomes. The book was written in such a way each reader could see it slightly different from another reader.

If you're one of those who need everything spoon fed to you and laid out nice and neatly, this probably isn't for you.

peleincubus likes this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

13. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

The Dune books were a trip.

Space Ghost likes this.
  14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Movies just aren't a great medium for many complex and sprawling epics. For every great adaptation like LOTR, you'll get a Harry Potter, Dark Tower, Gatsby and Hobbit. I'm just thankful the first 4 books of George R.R. Martin's song of ice and fire wasn't crammed into 4 movies (loved the first 4 books, 5th was meh).

That said, Vill's Dune was very interesting (despite a few things I didn't like) and made me interested in reading the books.

Squirtle likes this.
  15. Space Ghost

Watching the trailers, there are several things ive noticed that I wasn't that impressed. The fremen eyes and stillsuits are to name a couple. So far I am not all that impressed with the worms. The holtzman shield effects at least meet minimum SciFi eye candy.

The ornithopters kick ass. I really like those. So far I've seen some really nice scene details that are often overlooked. Ive seen additional scenes I've never considered. The Voice is very interesting as I could never imagine how it would sound. Herbert wasn't a massive world builder and usually left it for the reader to digest themselves. I think part of that was his strategy to prevent from dating his work. Flying cars in dune would be really stupid. I think this version will fill in a lot of detail that is often over looked or not considered.

Squirtle likes this.
  16. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

The tech in the film was pretty cool ad I thought they did a good job of combining it with the blade combat prevalent in the film. One thing that wasn't very clear was how strong those shields are. At times it stops blades or darts and other times it doesn't.

Agreed that the fremen suits looked cool, I especially liked how they explain its function of recycling water and cooling. We don't see that much of the worm in film, but I thought they look good.

17. Space Ghost

Dune is now out on HBO Max.

YW

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honest Trailers does it again

Also for how badly the Lynch Dune was it is very widely known.

clos4life and Space Ghost like this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Watching Now on the Little Screen

Rocket River

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I thought it was very good. 8/10.

DreamShook likes this.