1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Many top NBA players hesitant to promote coronavirus vaccines

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Feb 17, 2021.

1. anonmau5

anonmau5 Member

He's correct. This is often framed as a false dichotomy.

Jontro likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Like I said, if I misread your post I sincerely apologize. As for "how big" I felt, I think you misunderstood, well, pretty much everything I wrote because it didn't come from a place of malice. At any rate, have a great weekend and enjoy the beer.

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You should be tired. We are failing as a society to get this pandemic under control. There is nothing wrong with living with viruses, after all, that's what we've always done. The issue is that this particular virus is easily transmissible and can cause chaotic issues to people's health. Even if individuals survive, we are seeing some ****ed up long term effects that people will have to deal with. It's all about mitigation at this point since we aren't going to eradicate this ****er.

Regarding personal accountability, that's where you are 100% wrong. We tried that **** and it didn't work. We can see that by the strain it had on our healthcare system. As I stated before, we don't have finite resources of people, hospital beds, etc that we can just ignore the issues this virus was causing.

Once again, your comparison sucks. Yes, people have died from all those ***** you mentioned, however, they don't all ****ing get sick at once and they don't all die at once thus straining our system. Also, even those individuals are able to get proper medication to mitigate the effects of their disease (even if they ignore being on a proper diet) which extends their life by a lot.

I'm personally tired of people attempting to make incorrect comparisons to attempt to prove their point. It's all divisive **** just because we choose not to listen to the experts. Alluding back to your diabetes/hypertension/etc comparison, the experts tell us to exercise, drink our meds, change our diet, if we wish to live a long life, and many ignore it, they choose to not listen to the expert. In turn, that likely reduces their life expectancy. That's a choice they are given, however, our society can withstand those choices because we have the resources to help those individuals that decide to not follow expert opinions. BTW, there have been some efforts made in the past to mitigate this via changing nutrition programs at school, enacting laws that make private companies have to be transparent about what is contained in their products, etc.

steddinotayto likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. We did. Also, the Flu is not COVID, clearly. An entirely different form of flying!
    2. Probably lots, but how do you know I don’t care about that? Assuming makes an ass of you and me!

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t believe that children are significant contributors, but adult unvaccinated 100% ARE.

6. anonmau5

anonmau5 Member

1) I used a metaphor. I’m not comparing COVID to the flu, clearly. I’m comparing the coverage and reaction of stressed hospitals from one time to another. I’m comparing hospitals.

2) I said “we”, not “you”. I’m clearly speaking about society as a whole here.

7. jogo

jogo Member

I have to jump in because I can't let you pull numbers out of your ass on the message board I go to everyday. Someone might read what you wrote and think it's true. You can't just make up what you want the reality to be.

In the USA
    Diabetes deaths 2020: 79,000
    hypertension deaths 2020: I found high blood pressure in 2019: 516,955
    obesity deaths 2020: approximately 280,000

covid deaths 2020 approximately 375,000 BUT covid deaths didn't start to rise until May or so, so you're looking at about 8 months there

I'm not looking at covid deaths this year because it's not over yet.

I would cite these sources but I don't have time and you don't care anyway because you MADE UP YOUR NUMBERS.

If you truly want this to end, then you have to do something to end it. Refusing to get a vaccine that clearly led to the large decrease in hospitalizations and deaths just means you don't really want this to end.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/2892046/202...espn-speaking-his-mind-kyrie-irving-and-more/

I want to read back to you something you recently said. You said, “Just in general, you know what drives me crazy? ‘I’m doing my own research.’ I would like someone to answer this question. What does that look like? You doing your own research? Are you doing studies yourself? Are you in a lab on a nightly basis? What are you doing? I don’t understand what that means, ‘I’m doing my own research.’” That’s obviously in relation to people who are talking about doing their own research when it comes to vaccinations. You’re smart enough to know that mandatory vaccinations and COVID-19 has become part of a larger culture war in the U.S. When it comes to these kinds of issues, do you get any kind of blowback from ESPN?

JVG: Yeah. I didn’t get any blowback. And I’m not a political guy. You’re not going to see me on social media or anything like that. I think I probably am more middle-of-the-roadish. But the one thing for me is logic and common sense on this particular instance of doing your own research. There was a guy I went to college with my first year of college when I was at Yale. He was a guy on the floor who wanted to be a doctor. We only had 12 guys on our floor and he could study through all hell breaking loose. Very serious guy. His name is Dr. Fred Lang. So I moved to Houston and he happens to live two streets over from me. It’s crazy, right? He’s a big brain cancer guy at MD Anderson here in Houston. See, that’s the guy doing the research. I think I am fairly intelligent but I couldn’t begin to decipher all the studies and how they go about it and how they come to the conclusion that they come to on that. That’s the thing I was I was talking about it. If you choose not to get a vaccine, as crazy as it sounds to me, but if you choose to do that, please don’t insult us all with how your research is going to turn up (as opposed to) something that all these brilliant doctors around the world like the guy I mentioned and who are so heavily invested in this.

It would be as absurd to me as asking a doctor how Kyrie Irving should work on his crossover game and his handle. Like that guy thinking he knows more about that than a basketball guy. It’s just like, sometimes, I just don’t think we’re respecting all that is being invested into this fight. And again, I’m not trying to be super political. I didn’t think that would be controversial. I just think it’s common sense. Sometimes common sense is in short supply. That one thing sets me off more than anything when it comes to people trying to rationalize not taking a shot. I know there’s people that work at ESPN that would vehemently disagree with me. I read some things that Sage Steele said and I was taken aback. I really was. So it’s not like I think everybody’s agreeing with me. But on that one, I just thought it was somewhat obvious, in that small segment of doing your own research, I just don’t get it.

arno_ed and ElPigto like this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I wish I could have a beer with JVG.

i3artow i3aller and J.R. like this.
  10. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It would be funny if Van Gundy drank... Tecate.

11. i3artow i3aller

Just be careful he's not a second cousin of yours lol

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Silver: Not sure “fair” is the right way to approach it. Nothing fair about this virus. Perfectly appropriate NYC/others have passed laws to be vaccinated. Responsible public health decision made by those locales. I accept that. We understand as a league we have to play the cards dealt. There are players in some markets who would prefer their local governments require fans be vaccinated. We’ll see how it plays out. I hope Kyrie, despite how strongly he feels about the vaccination, decides to get vaccinated because I’d love to see him play basketball and Nets have their full compliment of players.

#432 J.R., Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    foh and i3artow i3aller like this.
  13. JD88

JD88 Member

Kyrie is eligible to play again after receiving his first shot?

Wtf is that? He won't be fully vaccinated after one shot. This isn't about safety, because if it were, he would need to wait two weeks after his second shot.

But, he doesn't, because it never was about safety.

This is clearly less about safety and more about forcing Kyrie to fall in line.

hakeemthagreat and Scarface281 like this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm assuming when they say "one shot" it's of the J&J variety and not Moderna or Pfizer

15. JD88

JD88 Member

"Has to have received at least one dose of the vaccine."

Doesn't sound that way.

Ironically, the FO and operations staff aren't required, even though they're around players constantly.

Like I said, this was never about safety.

steddinotayto likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ovid-19-vaccination-most-staff-2021-22-season

The NBA informed teams Friday that all personnel under team control who work within 15 feet of players or referees during games will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for the upcoming season, according to a memo obtained by ESPN.

The directive specifically includes coaches, front-office members and trainers but stops short of requiring all players to be vaccinated. Leaguewide vaccination of players is subject to negotiations with the National Basketball Players Association.

The NBA has set an Oct. 1 deadline for team personnel to be fully vaccinated and left open the possibility that it could require a booster shot at a later date, according to the memo.

The mandate applies to all personnel who will work near the court, including broadcasters, scoreboard operators, photographers and security personnel. Also required are all back-of-house operations, including locker room attendants, medical staff, equipment managers, and food and beverage handlers and providers.

foh, i3artow i3aller and ElPigto like this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

18. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

These professional athletes are just being selfish, enititled cunts. They just can't stand being told what to do. They are multimillionaires and believe that all their money gives them the right to flaunt rules and laws. Many keep saying they are doing their own research or they just need more information. Well, idiots, billions of people have taken the vaccine and only the tiniest, most miniscule amount of patients have had any adverse effects. That's all the info you need. Take the jab you stupid ****ing p*****s.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  19. tksense

tksense Member

yeah, and when you're the unfortunate one to get injury from it, no one cares... how come?

This is the story of Brandon Goodwin:

“My back really started hurting bad,” Goodwin recalled. “Then, I’m like, ‘OK. I need to go to the doctor. That’s when I found out I had blood clots. That all within the span of a month.”

Goodwin then left nothing up to the imagination when he revealed what he believed caused the health issues.

“I was fine until then,” Goodwin said. “I was fine up until I took the vaccine, I was fine.”

Blood clots have been reported as rare side effects of Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 vaccine, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Women under the age of 50 are advised to remain cautious about the rare but increased risks of developing a blood clot from the J&J vaccine, the CDC says, a risk that “has not been seen” in other vaccine options.

“People trying to tell you, ‘No. It’s not the vaccine.’ How do you know?” Goodwin asked. “You don’t know.”

In seemingly another Twitch streaming clip (same link as above), Goodwin doubled down on his belief the vaccine caused his health issues.

“Yes, the vaccine ended my season,” Goodwin said. “One thousand percent.”

The point guard then said someone from the Hawks organization called him while he was in the hospital to let him know a press release announcing his condition was on the horizon.

“‘We’re going to tell the press that your season’s over with,’” Goodwin recalled. “I’m like, ‘Damn. How? Like I don’t even, we don’t even know what it is.’ But it’s whatever. I’m not even going to get into all that, bruh. I still got love for the Hawks. Mad love for the Hawks.”

Goodwin also said he knew he would have had an impact on the team if he was still available to play down the stretch. In his two seasons with Atlanta, Goodwin averaged 5.5 points in 13 minutes per game through 81 games. Goodwin earned a full season contract with the Hawks for 2020-21 after breakout performances in the previous season, including a 19-point fourth quarter in a 102-95 comeback win over the Los Angeles Clippers on Jan. 22, 2020.

“It would have been way different,” Goodwin said. “We needed somebody to get in the paint, make some plays.

“I don’t know where I’m playing at this year. I’m not going to lie to y’all, I don’t know. (The Hawks) were just like, ‘Don’t say anything about it, don’t tell anybody. I’m like, ‘Bruh, what?’”

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2021...dwin-claims-covid-19-vaccine-ended-his-season

20. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

It does suck to be one of billions, but it is still one in billions. You take bigger chances than that everytime you get in a car.