1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Its about long term

Sengun looks like Pau Gasol and maybe 20 points per game (Pau Gasol greatest year
    was 20.8 and it's a guard league now) vs possibly 30 points per game (Bradley Beal of
    last two years) in Green. Some want to proclaim Sengun Jokic or better.....I laugh.
    Maybe, but that might be more wishful thinking than anything else.

Matter of opinion....you are entitled to yours. I'm not impressed with
    the level of competition Sengun has faced. BamBam and Poeltl, Gafford,
    Achiuwa

Guards have been much more difficult to defend: Derrick White/Murray, Lowry/Butler/Herro,
    Bradley Beal.
    --------------------
    Harden first year playing point full time as a Rocket was in 13/14:
    7 games (preseason)....23.4 mins.....3.9 Ast....2.3 TOV....18.7 pts.

Green 20/21
    4 games (preseason): 28.1 mins......2.3 Ast....2.5 TOV.....13.3 pts.

I expect Green's 3P% to improve as he gets comfortable in the Silas system (improving FG%)
    and points from cutting/slashing as the team gels. His FT% was good at 83%.

Harden was age 24 and ran some PnR as a backup in Thunder rotation.
    Green is 19 and just learning.
    -------------------------
    I'm not an apologist.........just saying the paint isn't even dry just yet. 4 games vs 7.

I like Sengun also but I just think Sengun is getting the D-Mo treatment way too soon.
    Pump the brakes a little.

#641 ApacheWarrior, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  2. MystikArkitect

I think most people on the board want all our rookies to do well. Garuba needs to ferment in the G League for a while. I don't like Christopher at all as he reminds me of Jerrylin. Right now Green is realizing that he has to play smart as well as skilled to succeed. Sengun already knows this and has known it for a while. The game just needs to slow down for him. He is not used to seeing the types of defenders and defenses that the NBA has. Green is not a PG and will never be a PG. He's a true SG. Even moreso than Harden. Harden's first season actually running the point was D'antoni's first season here and he led the league in assists. He's always had amazing vision. Green doesn't possess this ability. He is however a much more natural scorer than Harden. James had to manufacture points where Green can just kinda get them however he wants. He doesn't need to be crafty like James was.

He'll be alright but we need to pump the brakes on our expectations this year out of him. I was definitely getting ahead of myself after Summer League (I still would not trade him for Cade or anyone else in this draft). He'll have an Anthony Edwards type of season where his second half will be much better than his first. But this team needs to build around Sengun/Green. KPJ I'm still not convinced with and Wood can't be traded soon enough.

Crashlanded19 and peleincubus like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

For all we know Sengun could be massive let down once the regular season starts. People are really clinging on to 4 preseason game.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

@Reeko telling it like it is

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

and it’s many of the same people who were proclaiming his greatness based off SL…all this flip flopping at the drop of a dime based off meaningless games is pathetic

let CF tell it, LaMelo Ball would be a surefire bust since he was even worse than Green during his rookie year preseason

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im still in Scooters corner. Not ready to write him off before he plays a full season. Same with Wood. Not his biggest fan, but if he meshes well with the current nucleus I can see him as a stalwart on the roster, otherwise the end of this season is where tough decisions will be made for most of the current team.

Its A-OK to critique all of the players GAME. Its going to be a tough year to be a fan, but it should be fun. Im looking forward to it.

Corrosion likes this.
  7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Silas has a system? When did that happen? Did somebody let him know, because I don't think he's aware yet?..

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

See Mavericks 19/20....you know.....the most efficient offense the NBA has registered.

I'm sure your system is greater

peleincubus likes this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

12/13 Harden was traded to Rockets AFTER preseason games for OKC.
    I was citing Harden preseason games vs Jalen Green running facilitator (PG) duties
    during the 4 preseason games.

We can agree that everyone wants the rookies and 2nd year players to succeed.

I disagree with your assumption that Harden has always had PG skills and
    Jalen Green will never have such skills. Green sees the court just fine as a 19
    year old player.

Harden rookie season was age 20 and had a 12.3 ast%. It's only preseason
    but Jalen Green was 14.1 ast%. Jury is still out.

Again that's Harden ast% during regular season at age 20.....Green has yet to
    play in the regular season. Harden scored 9.9 pts in 22.9 minutes that
    rookie regular season. I feel Green will get more minutes and more points.

#650 ApacheWarrior, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  11. HROZ

HROZ Member

Hope he averaged 12-17 on +40% FG & +32% 3Pt.

Shows something on defence

Plays 30 mpg

12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Did he leave it in Dallas? Maybe somebody should go get it for him, because so far I haven't seen one this year.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We don't have a Luca here either.

DD

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

To answer your question, the Mavs have not been as efficient since. Doncic numbers are
    probably better; but as a whole, no, the offensive numbers are not as good, IMO.

What exactly are you looking for in 4 preseason games with:
    *4 true rookies (Sengun, Green, Garuba, Josh Christopher)
    *2 second year players (Tate, Kenyon)
    *1 third yr player (Porter who is playing PG....SF with Cavs. 76 total reg gms.
    Less than a full season)

You were expecting the players to act like a fine tune well oiled machine full of 7 year vets?
    91-92 Bulls that won 67 games? Their main facilitators understand Pick-n-Roll, their screeners
    are good at setting screens, their cutters know when to cut, all their defenders are in perfect
    rotation and anticipate the other teams plays?

Sorry they disappointed you, or maybe you shouldn't have expected the team to
    have been at mid season form.

Have you ever played PG running Pick-n-Roll in the NBA going against the greatest,
    smartest, fastest, most impressive vertical leaps put together in one place?

You don't just have a bunch of players moving around when Porter and Green
    are starting to learn PnR facilitation. Too many moving parts would result in
    passes thrown out of bounds to no one. Much more turnovers and less scoring
    than they put out in the four games.

4 practices before the first preseason game plus 4 actual preseason games while
    trying to play everyone to determine who gets cut......just isn't enough time to
    get situated. The team was presented the basics of the Silas system.....it
    will continue through the first two weeks of the season while shortening
    up the rotation to about 8 to 9 players.

Play time (preseason) is over.....time for these players to earn their pay and constantly
    learn a playbook that keeps adding plays each game each week. Take their
    lumps along the way and hope they learn from their mistakes. Fast.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

MVP.

gotta put it in the universe.. for the culture.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  16. amaru

amaru Member

I think the Beal/ LaVine comparisons will be accurate. Star but not superstar.

tycoonchip likes this.
  17. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

1. Chill out a little, you might blow a gasket ranting this much over throwaway humour comments. 2. At the very least, I'd expect something that doesn't look like playground streetball. In preseason, that's what we got.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Good one.

19. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It's more than just having plain vanilla plays so the other teams don't have
    video of our plays. It's about keeping the plays to the bare minimum of about 5 to 7 plays
    without a lot of movement so that the Rockets don't have 35 turnovers and players
    running into each other like the bad news bears and scoring only 65 points.

Porter and Green would both have like 15 turnovers each if your ran true plays
    with cutters and slashers from game one of the preseason.

The 3-point shooters staying put are their safety valves when kicking out if they
    don't read the PnR defenders correctly. Take that away and you would have had
    a ton of passes out of bounds or travelling. Just saying. You expect too much from
    Porter/Green with no John Wall or Eric Gordon to help when things get stagnant.

NewAge likes this.