1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun is “starting” material

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Oct 16, 2021.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He. Has. Earned it. That’s why IDIOT!

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this is also a big flaw in the nba...politics... wwe mindset...thats why nba has no credibility and why scott foster still has his job

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If he can grow into his body and even out that neck/head to body ratio, ok. Otherwise his arms are too low to start.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Theis hasn’t earned anything. He has been terrible this pre-season. Sengun should start and play as many minutes as his conditioning will allow.

aaquaa likes this.
  5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I've said this in other threads, but I'd like to see both Sengun and Green come off the bench early in the season. It may be only the first 10-15 games, but a chance for them to watch the game a bit before they jump into the fray. Multiple benefits to this approach...

- EG starts at 2 and gives Porter vet presence in backcourt/defense in starting lineup
    - EG playing starter minutes hopefully garners some trade interest
    - Green coming off the bench would be playing against few starters and rotation guys giving him more time to adjust
    - Green should be more aggressive coming off the bench to be that scoring spark we need with second group
    - Sengun and Green playing together will likely get Jalen more open looks
    - Sengun against rotation bigs should have an advantage and will also help him gain experience/conditioning

I'm not against starting both rooks, but would like to see them gain experience/confidence, while hopefully increasing our opportunities to trade EG early in the season.

Absolutely love Sengun and believe he's smartest and fundamentally sound rookie I can remember in some time. Wish we would see him use the jumper a little more, because I believe teams will start to sag off him until he shows he can stick it.

aaquaa, mikenm268, j@amc and 3 others like this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree with Green off the bench, but I really like getting Segun and Wood together to build chemistry. Last night they looked way better together than Theis and Wood. Maybe Theis will turn it around, but right now it looks like Stone’s first mistake. Man, Miles Turner would be perfect for this team.

Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we play a lot beter whenever sengun is on the floor

aaquaa, apollo33 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So Green should earn it too. Which means KPJ and Gordon should start

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

@sTeKcOr22 props for knowing I wasn’t insulting you. I don’t see you reply much on here so I was taking a risk. Apparently crossing my fingers worked!

jch1911 and sTeKcOr22 like this.
  10. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

I mean from what I seen, Green hasn't been particularly stellar in the preseason. A little worried just because of his summer league performances.

I'd still start Green though.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Not at all. Will be tuning in Wednesday for sure.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I would start Green and Sengun personally, let them get their growing pains in. Sengun is already at worst the second best player on the team.

aaquaa, ramotadab and sTeKcOr22 like this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think he might have the best vision on this team, which isn't saying a lot but still impressive at his age. He actually makes passes by reading where the defense helps, they are not random desperation heaves at a corner.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. MystikArkitect

He *is* the best passer on the team. No maybe about it. KPJ is not a natural passer.

aaquaa, harold bingo and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

AP played with Men… green played with boys. Green has higher ceiling than AP. Green needs to get off tictac and all social media. It’s bad for his development. We still got like a thousand picks. Let’s get back to that lotto. I’m so happy!

aaquaa, ramotadab and NewAge like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why go to lotto , why p***y mentality? just surround sengun with the shooters and were right there

aaquaa likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Just surround him with shooters already!

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He might not be starter material on other teams in the league but on THIS team, yes, it's a no brainer. Right now he's already our 2nd best big man, our best passer, and maybe even our best shot blocker. Sure most of his minutes have been against the other teams' reserves but he has the intangibles (e.g. feel for the game, court awareness) that would benefit the rest of our starters.

19. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This. Sengun makes everyone around him better.

aaquaa and CHAMPBOY like this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes and important to note that with Sengun, you might be able to get what essentially you'd be paying a veteran player (ala Olynyk) to give a young rebuilding team. People often get it wrong on what rebuilding teams pay a veteran to do on a team like this. Yes the locker room and practice influence is important (see Scola) but there is often investments made on older players for the specific reason of them being able to elevate younger players.

This is why I was very perplexed that the Rockets wouldn't pony up to resign Olynyk. Also why I'm optimistic that Sengun could potentially provide the same value at a much better price, and higher upside to potentially be even better than Olynyk. He has potential to be Pau Gasol type of good.

aaquaa, larry cook and Will like this.