1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Wheres the non stop slobbering for chas?

RKREBORN likes this.
  2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Joe Buck sucks

3. what

what Member

Bergman has be bad for 2 straight seasons. He has not been worth that contract.

Again, very few players are ever worth giving 100 million plus. Altuve was worth it, but nobody else was. You can put Verlander on the list too.
    Again, don't pay high prices, groom. Kyle Tucker and Alvarez are going to have monster seasons next year.

ramotadab likes this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You wrote this:

"Bergman has not improved since his $100 mil."

The season after he signed his extension he was second in the MVP voting. Since then they had a COVID shortened season and a season in which he was injured for a long time.

How is that Tucker for Austin Hedges proposed trade of yours looking?

MrBear1, BigM, cbass and 5 others like this.
  5. Major

Major Member

I wonder if a GM could succeed in baseball (or basketball) by hiring what as his assistant and just always doing the opposite of whatever he says? Like the weatherman that's wrong 90% of the time?

raining threes and Bregatron like this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It worked for George Costanza

BigM, raining threes and BMoney like this.
  7. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Resigning Carlos would be great but I would love to see that money spend first on a 200IP #1 or #2 SP if available.

AznH-TownFan and raining threes like this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

not a ton of great options on the FA market

9. HTown2017Champs

[​IMG]

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I could listen to an argument that says that we need to invest more in starting pitching and that we are strong enough at hitting even without Correa to contend for a title. If Pedro Leon or Jeremy Pena become an 0.800 OPS player, then we won't lose much at all offensively but will save $25 million+ per year by not paying Correa. It's a tough decision. Culturally, Correa is our team's leader and that has intangible value.

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's quite clear what I think of long term contracts in general. Now let me play DEVIL's advocate for a moment.

With MLB and the MLBPA agreement expiring and no new agreement likely to be in place for at least some period of time afterward, it creates a window, or JUBILEE of sorts for teams from the cap. Penalties. The thinking is that caps will have to be prospective only under any new cap.

In this scenario, the teams have the incentive to spend like there's no tomorrow.

So Pay the man, and every man you see as a potential star. New, Old, CC, maybe even prospects. The only limit is your resources. The big markets will love it. The small markets will not.

In this scenario, NY and LA will be battling to see who will have a Billion Dollar payroll. And MLB will love it, even as they claim they don't. There might even be talk of breaking up MLB by the small market teams.

So how does this affect Correa? He gets his 10+ year deal, but more likely to the Yankees, Mets, Los Angles Dodgers or Los Angeles Angels. But we have the opportunity to tie up players under contract to extensions without concern of cap considerations. Oh! did I forget to mention 1,000% inflation every year so the contracts won't be of concern in the later years?

So there. Now I'm with you guys.

So here is the new pecking order in baseball

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/the-richest-mlb-owners-ranked-by-net-worth/ar-BB14ngzP

There you have it. Correa to the Mets for 20 years @ $50M/yr. for the first Billion Dollar contract.
    Tatis threatens to sit out his $340M contract because it's insulting now ...

#1231 Marshall Bryant, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    ramotadab likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

And LINDOR wants to open negotiations on a 10 year @ $100M/yr extension.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/2893094/202...rlos-correa-should-hit-it-big-in-free-agency/

14. awc713

awc713 Member

15. HeyBudLetsParty

Arod is getting a percentage, I can feel it

16. Landry's Tooth

I'm calling 10 years 330 million from the Texas Rangers...

They repeat their Aroid mistake....

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

He’s trying like hell to help CC get more money, that’s for sure.

18. the shark

the shark Member

If Correa wants to go to the Rangers I say don't let the door hit your @$$ on the way out!!

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think Correa will get paid and go to somebody with a chance to win. He won't want the Rangers. My bet is the Mets and if he has to leave I hope it is to there instead of American League or the Dodgers.

20. the shark

the shark Member

The Mets??

They already have Lindor playing SS. You don't think both of these guys have pride. Which one you asking to move to another position?