1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will lead the team in scoring this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DJ, Oct 18, 2021.

?

Which Rocket is most likely to lead the team in scoring

1. Jalen Green

29 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Kevin Porter Jr

32 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. Christian Wood

70 vote(s)
    52.2%
  4. Eric Gordon

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Alperen Sengun

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. DJ

DJ Member

Who do you guys think will lead the team in scoring? There are many possible candidates:

Jalen Green: #2 pick who is highly talented; has been inconsistent in the preseason but may find his groove as the season goes on and prove why he deserved to be drafted so high

Kevin Porter Jr: one of the top scorers in the preseason for the Rockets; has a lot of potential but makes a lot of mistakes; has shown to be capable of high scoring games as evident in his 50 point explosion against the Bucks

Christian Wood: consistently had games with 20+ points last year before getting injured; solid player but has not looked as good in this preseason as he did last year

Eric Gordon: nice player who can score in many ways; often injured though so it's hard to say

Alperen Sengun: Very talented rookie; not sure if he will get the sufficient playing time to score a bunch of points, but you never know... especially with injuries to other players

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Tough call between Wood, Porter or Green

I would say Porter but the Rockets are asking him to set up others rather
    than score. His role or goal is more of 9 assists per game. This is why I
    put him down as 18 points per game. Would be 24 points per game
    otherwise.

Wood feels he is being asked to hang out near the 3-point line more
    according to an interview I posted here on CF's. Seems like he is more
    of a decoy or being used for spacing purposes. Sengun/Theis/Garuba more
    of the (PnR) Roll Man thing.

Green will get a high volume of shots.

I have Wood and Green both around 23 points per game

Eventually Green will get comfortable running PnR and start hitting
    slashers and Cutters while bagging more of his 3's.

DJ likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Green - his function is to score and once he gets into his groove he will do it in bunches.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Silas is smart he would rely on Christian Wood right out of the gate in plays designed to get him better/quality shots. Green will come into his own but Wood is the team's most reliable scorer on a nightly basis.

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

My money says Wood but my heart says Green.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

not sure why people think it wouldn’t be Wood…unless he just gets no touches and is constantly looked off

Wood will get his usual 20 and 10 in a 20 point L

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I voted Wood, but that could change after mid-year when Green comes into his own. Porter can score as well, just think they want for him to grow his facilitator role.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Porter is this team's leading scorer we got ourselves a pretty big problem.

11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Kinda surprised at the poll results, thought there would be a lot more delusion about our young guys. The answer is clearly Wood, unless we see some outrageous development from one of our young guys and they freeze Wood out of the offense. But as of right now with the way Silas lets him play, it's gonna be Wood and it won't be all that close.

DJ likes this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Wood with 20 plus points and 11 rebounds a game and 2 block shoots. If Porter and Green play over 32 minutes a game they will score close to 20 points a game a night. Also, Gordon is just not a shooter but a scorer he will score 17 to 18 points a game. I think if Seguna play more than 28 minutes he could have 16 points and 9 rebounds a game.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This poll needs a Danuel House option, you should restart it with a new thread.

hakeem94 and harold bingo like this.
  14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Yep

15. DJ

DJ Member

You and me both. I expected a lot more people to say Green...but I guess with how his preseason went, some are skeptical. I expected a few votes for Sengun

I think Wood will be the leader if there are no injuries or trades

harold bingo likes this.
  16. xaos

xaos Member

Wood should lead the team in scoring based on his current skillset, but I think there will be a big effort to get Jalen featured more in the offense with Scoot's focus being setting everyone up. I seriously doubt Jalen shoots it from 3 at the same % he did in the preseason.

I'd guess all 3 between 16-22 ppg with Wood leading the team in scoring the first half and Green leading the team in scoring the second half of the season.

17. DreamR

DreamR Member

Wood is more likely to receive the ball when he demands it than any other player.

He's also the most likely to get frustrated with his teammates when he's not getting the ball, especially if they're throwing up bricks.

He's also one of the oldest and most respected players on the roster.

I don't see anyone getting more attempts than him, nor having a higher fg%

The only way he doesn't lead in scoring this season is if James Harden comes back.

18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Yes, Wood and Gordon should be the 1st two scoring options. Then look for Porter or Green as they settle down into the game tempo. If we do that, play good defense, no more than 10 turnovers a game and 80% FT percentage he can cause damage in the West

19. xaos

xaos Member

For the sake of avoiding future frustration, I hope you're not counting on Rockets having a winning record, regardless of who our first scoring option is

Corrosion likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

Wood until proven otherwise.