1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Eh , I don't much like his shot , it's not fluid , kinda labored ..... I do expect him to fix that tho ....

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is neither an analysis nor a discussion. You just listed the worst case scenario of each sentence. Not sure what the purpose or interest is there, I have zero interest.

My point to the poster is that it will simply not end up being the case that he won’t learn how to drive, pass, shoot, lift or defend better. I have no idea why you guys are pushing all those combined narratives aggressively, it has no nuance whatsoever. That’s an absurdly negative perspective, on the fringe extreme for a skinny 19 year old SG almost unanimously agreed to have top 5 potential in this very strong draft.

#602 Mathloom, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    harold bingo and majicdonjuan like this.
  3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Nice shades up response hahahahah

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yes, he definitely can cut out some motion from that shot. As with all his shots, he does not look calm enough when taking them. He looks like he holds his breath too much.

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

That’s awesome for you man, nice comment.

6. i3artow i3aller

7. NewAge

NewAge Member

Like I said many times. The way it relates to basketball is that all NBA superstars so far have looked and acted like KPJ, and none have looked like JG. That's how this relates to basketball. And I also have said, I am keeping an open mind and rooting for him. Maybe he'll be the first one (or the second after Prince in the Chapelle sketch :)

And I told you that before: I have prejudice against JG becoming a superstar. You're the one having prejudice against women if you think that "feminine" is an insult.

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Almost as nice as Jalen's defense.

Or passing.

Or ballhandling.

Or or or. hahahah.

I can't even fathom a 'franchise altering player' having so many flaws in his game. But I mean, the Rockets are a franchise in such a pathetically sorry state with Tilman, maybe a player with the quality of Jalen truly will alter the franchise from an 8 win team to a 12 win team. Wow I was wrong, others were right!

tycoonchip and DaDakota like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U r the one using feminine like its a negative trait.
    Who the fk says he won't b successful in basketball bc he looks girly/feminine. U r purposely saying it as a negative thing. Man won't succeed in the game bc he's too feminine.

U acknowledged that u have a prejudice to green for being too girly/feminine but somehow it me thats the one having prejudice against women if i think that "feminine" is an insult. Dumbass logic.

Open mind my ass. More like u have your head up your ass

majicdonjuan likes this.
  10. NewAge

NewAge Member

I’m saying he don’t look like NBA superstars have looked in demeanor the 30 years I’ve been watching the game. He’s still an NBA player and a multimillionaire, he’s already very successful in life. But you think it’s an insult to call him feminine, that;s on you, that’s your prejudice speaking. My "prejudice’ is for "superstars", if he’s to become one he’ll be a very different one, and so I’m keeping an open mind.

For you to say these things don’t matter, only wingspan and vertical jump matter and personality don’t matter, and personality is media fabrication: that’s utter BS, man, you’re way out there in the weeds with that view. You have your head in your ass if you don’t see what kind of people have been the superstars in this league, and what kind of personalities. Talking to morons here…

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

BTW, my kids, in their generation they use “fem" for both boys and girls, like you can say, she’s fem or he’s fem… so that’s not even a gender issue anymore. And it makes a whole lot of sense to me. There have been super bad-ass WNBA players, like Cynthia Cooper or Diana Taurasi. That;s got not much even to do with gender. It’s got everything to do with personality. So shove your “women can’t be soldiers” prejudices up your ass…

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

where did i say
    I believe “women can’t be soldiers”?
    your head is so far up your ass, i can see y reading comprehension.isn't your strongest suit

Where did I say that bold it, and reread the sentence again.

this is really going no where. can't reason with a dumbass who solely uses "personality" and how one looks to gauage a player's talent.

High-level analysis? don't make me laugh.

majicdonjuan likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Back to the subject. Green getting more aggressive going to the hoop made me optimistic. I think he’ll average about 15 pts per game the first half and 20+ the second half. His speed is going to get him to the line a bunch.

14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How about Steph and Trae Young? Could probably come up with more if I spent more than 10 seconds thinking about this but your theory that players who are "fem", as you describe it, can't be good is pretty ridiculous.

DatRocketFan and FrontRunner like this.
  15. NewAge

NewAge Member

trae young is a total badass. steph is the big one, and others have pointed it out. That’s a good one actually, steph may be the first one, but he’s just much more serious person than what we have seen from JG so far. His "fem" reputation is more about physique and style of play, style being more artistic than -physical "down your throat" style…

But my question to you is this: Really? You gonna dog me about prejudice on this board and bringing-up up Steph effing Curry? The guy who was called here repeatedly Stefanie, a p***y incapable of carrying his own team? Really? If we go by this board and Steph, then yeah, "girly men can’t be superstars"…

Like I said. Jalen Green may become a superstar after he leaves us like AD left NO, and then watch how all the “social justice" folks here will go after him with the ugliest mysogenic slurs, like they slandered Curry… This has nothing to do with prejudice it has everything to do with JG cultism… We can’t say anything, we can’t skeptic, nothing.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Jalen Green is 19 and there is a bunch of grown men in here talking about his mental approach. What were you doing at 19? Crying about how your girlfriend was getting DM's from another guy?

hakeem94, ApacheWarrior and NewAge like this.
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Expectations too high here for Green early.
    Parts of this discussion have no place in either the thread or the board.

Green needs to do what he did in the 2nd half of Spurs game. Attack and get comfortable doing so. This pertains to passing and scoring. I am actuall ENCOURAGED by some of the flashes I have seen in the passing and defensive aspects.

I think we will have a pretty good idea of what he is in 15 months

jiggyfly and hakeem94 like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When I was 19 I was busy killing Chinese in Vietnam..... the 90's was a weird time for me.

jiggyfly and NewAge like this.
  19. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think age is a good point, personality is not fully formed at 19, that’s a fact.

Couple of things for me that I’ve been thinking about:
    1. Ben Simmons was called out prior to the draft by Jonathan Givony for having a weak personality. Obviously everyone disregarded him. I, myself watched Simmons in his first year and he in fact seemed quite nasty and bad-assy to me. but now with Simmons showing up as a certified p***y, Givony is going around podcasts and spreading “I-told-you-so”s. Soooo… sure, things can change for a person, but may not change…

(side note about all the “you can’t have a high-level discussion now, we gotta wait a few years” crowd. You know, there is a whole industry of draft analysts who do exactly that, even before kids have been drafted, trying to figure out future starts, starters, role players, etc… Are those low-level foklks?.. That;s a side note)

2. For me personally, just the contrast with KPJ was just super startling, and that;s not a much older kid….My thinking was, “if that’s our backcourt of the future, and the #30 pick is the alpha and the #2 pick is the little bro, we may have some issues down the road…”

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I expect Jalen to have extremely inflated numbers and then get traded ASAP! Sell high to get the real building block or blocks!