1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

That's all reasonable, but...

My main thing is this: did we get a major superstar piece? I was kind of hoping we got one.
    We were told that the top of the draft (Cade-Green-Mobley) is generationally good, maybe best since 2003. On top of that Green himself was talking big game: ROY, he was snubbed, etc...

So I was hoping that we got THAT guy... And was immediately taken aback by his personality in interviews and media... (Just to explain for millionth time: nothing against the kid personally, but not a superstar alpha personality). Now all this backsliding, waiting for years, etc.. that doesn't instill confidence for him being a superstar. Most of them you know right away: LeBron, Luka, etc.. Quite a few others are late bloomers, true. But now the story is that we have to wait for years to know...

And then you telling me I need to measure him as an average NBA lotto pick. Even though he's #2 and saying he was snubbed... But that's OK, if you are telling me to calibrate expectations to Andrew Wiggins (#1), or D'lo Russell (#2) that's a bit disappointing relative to where I was in the summer...

2. NewAge

NewAge Member

Another way to look at it is: how does a ROY compare to his class. Wiggins' class for example was not that good. Embid and Jokic did not qualify, because they didn't play that year. So Wiggins winning ROY is not much of an aberration... D. Wade finishing 3rd behind LBJ and Melo is pretty damn good.
    I'll be perfectly OK if JG finished 3rd if #1 and #2 were on the LBJ/Mello level. Problem is, I am not seeing anybody in this class that is that impressive. For now. So if he's not a ROY in a somewhat meh class... Then the hope is for some come-from-behind career, which has happened but is not that often. The best-of-the-best, the Luukas, LeBrons, Duncans... you kinda know in Year 1...

3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'm confident he'll figure it out once he gets more comfortable with this team and his role. I do agree, we need a game plan that optimizes our team's strengths, I can't say I've seen much of that in the PS games I've been able to catch.

I do still believe he and the team would be better served with him coming off the bench. I think Green with Sengun and DJ would have a different game feel then what KPJ, Wood and Gordon would bring. While I want KPJ and Green to get time to develop together, my gut tells me it would be better for both their development to play with vets initially.

4. dmoneybangbang

Maybe wait until after pre season to start worrying?

Maybe not question his masculinity so soon?

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think we'd all like to hope we got that major superstar piece .... but how many of them are "that guy" the day they come into the league ? ..... None of them really , they all take time to develop and some come out of nowhere.

As for the top of the draft being hyped as it was , we hear that more often than not - so and so is a generational talent - best draft since X. There are exceptions but the rule is the media hypes and compares to the extreme every year.

As for Green talking big - yeah he did and that shows confidence .... that's step one. We'll have to wait and see if he can back it up but the greats are what they are largely on confidence in themselves.

Yeah , you need to measure him by the average NBA lotto pick .... some turn into stars , some don't and most fall somewhere in between.

Do you really expect him to come in and average 20+ ? That's not a reasonable expectation IMO , especially not on a team with no table setter to get him open looks - he's a shooting guard , not a facilitator , at least to this point in his career.

I'll call it a big win if he can average 15 on a decent true shooting percentage and hope he improves from there.

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

No. Even when Harden has excellent games I still seen u btch. Green barely played preseason u r already btching. Going by past post histories u r gonna keep doing it if u already have a negative view on a certain player regardless how he plays. It is what it is.

It's quite annoying the player has yet to play a real game and people already calling him a bust.

Hwll one poster was worried his lack of masculinity is why he won't b a great player
    LoL.

Rockets4Life13 and HP3 like this.
  7. anamah

anamah Member

BOTH KPJ, JG, CHRISTOPHER, BELONG IN G LEAUGE TO HORN THEIR SKILLS ,jg needs 201b min ,
    KPJ IS NO PG QED,SLOW CLUELESS ,OCCASIONAL FLASH ? yes//
    RE STRUCURE WALLS CONTRACT TO HELP US

CHAMPBOY likes this.
  8. bmelo

bmelo Member

I mean i know where you coming from based on my posts. We will see, i changed my view on EG from bad to very good. Same with PJ. I will get over Jalen since its not his fault i got my hopes for him too high. But Hardens behaviour is something that stings me the wrong way.

Btw My current target is Christian Wood and im AlpiOnlyFan, i have not made up my mind on Jalen yet lol

DatRocketFan likes this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Member

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This sounds eerily like what the YOF's used to say all the time about Yao not getting the ball.

Green is not and should not be the focal point of the offense at this point, it should be Wood who has the most polished offensive game.

I will admit the offense looks helter-skelter but it's not because Green is not getting the ball.:rolleyes:

I see we are gonna have a **** load GOF's that only care if he gets his.

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

yeah, if I listen to you, the way you're saying he needs few years for bulking-up, even though Ja Morant is 177 lbs and has already led his team to playoffs... it's gonna "JG is our superstar of the future and will always be our superstar of the future" with you, isn't it?

Most superstars you know sooner than later...

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There is a thin line between elite mentality and Terrence Williams, just because you think you are elite does not mean you are.

Not saying he will not be all that and a bag of chips but his "mentality" is a double-edged sword and far down the list of what is gonna make him a true franchise player.

This mentality thing has been bandied about since before the draft and nobody actually knows what his mentality is but are basing it on what a 19-year-old has said in interviews and Instagram clips.

It's amazing how people can see what they want to see logic be dammed.

We will see but I am not gonna lie I have not seen an elite type of guy to this point but that does not make a bust or a scrub he can still be a very valuable player.

NewAge and Ubiquitin like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, you could tell Morant had IT, even if the stats did not support it, there was always a couple of plays that were special, have we seen anything like that yet with Green?

NewAge and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

Why is Ja the measuring stick?

Do any of the draft picks look like superstars this pre season?

Corrosion likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

So Ja was already showing IT after the last pre season game of his first season ?

16. dmoneybangbang

Or a bunch of posters who are going to nit pick because they didn’t want Green in the first place.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

These are all reasonable comments, I never thought he was a generational talent, I don't think he has that 6th sense that superstars have but with that said I think he is a talented guy and can be a good to great player.

Not gonna lie his jumper makes me cringe don't see him being a great 3 point shooter so he is gonna have to be special at everything else to be an all-NBA type.

I'm not disappointed because I have seen what I expected to see a guy that has some great tools but not that "spec
    ial" like a franchise guy.

18. NewAge

NewAge Member

No, not to me. So that's one reason I think no-ROY should be a concern... If he cannot shine in this meh draft, maybe he's not superstar material.
    With Ja, I am rejecting the idea that he needs to bulk-up before we know, which seems to be what you were suggesting:
    If that's not what you were suggesting, tell me in your mind when do you worry that we may not have our superstar?

19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Green is a superstar but he will need time and he will figure it out because he is a hard worker. Porter do need to go to G League but he will ACT UP so they will not say anything to him. We need a PG right now to help the team and with Green

RESTUCTURE WALL CONTRACT FOR THREE YEARS.....Start Wall and place Porter on the bench and mid season trade Wall if Porter is not ready then...trade him

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

oh noes, not a failure of the dreaded "random guy on the internet superstar alpha personality litmus test".

I mean, this is probably it for Green. He done. You don't just fail this exacting test and have a career on the other side of it. Ask Sebastian Telfair.