1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

This.

I feel like GARM’s expectations for Green mirror the expectations for the team. While I’ve been slightly disappointed by Green, I’ve also watched a really bad team struggle to generate offense.

I pegged this team as a bottom 5 and that’s looking a safe bet. I still think we should stagger KPJ and Green and even have Sengun and Green anchor the bench unit. Building an identity and roles is important like having a system that helps its players.

Also it’s clear Green needs a few seasons of a nba strength program. The kid looks like a worker so I’m not worried at all yet.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Bottom 5 is a guarantee. I think we'll be competing with the Magic for the worst team.

dmoneybangbang, Ubiquitin and NewAge like this.
  3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I still think it's stupid for us to even try evaluating players' effectiveness until they run an actual offensive system. This street ball **** is never going to produce good results for anybody not named James Harden (who is maybe the only player in the NBA who's going to make "one guy has the ball and makes it up as he goes along" work as a strategy in any way.)

Corrosion and RocketOrg like this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I still expect him to hit his stride sooner rather than later.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  5. NewAge

NewAge Member

I am seeing that the "I am not worried at all" crowd has already moved the goalposts from "preseason doesn't matter" to "we all knew it was going to be a rough year"... That's totally fair, all experts expected us to be a bottom team, and I expected that too.

The question is what are the indicators for progress, for Green and for the team? When do we start worrying? I'm getting an uneasy feeling of a cult formation, where no matter what happens, the future is always bright for Green and the team.

Green has set up expectations for himself: ROY. Are we worried if he doesn't get it?

6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Here's a player who is very young (younger than Jalen), inexperienced, on a bad team, with a bad record, and manages to impress. It's not impossible. And it's not unreasonable to expect more from Jalen.

7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Rockets are doing bad in sharing ball. Wood and Porter are playing selfish basketball. Green hardly get the ball sometimes in game. It’s Silas’ fault!

Dovahkiin, ROXTXIA and RocketOrg like this.
  8. rocketballin

rocketballin Member

keep building and developing. If you’re looking to win this year then you are sadly mistaken. This team will go through some lows but has the chance to be a special team in a couple of years. We need on more piece to develop which will come through next years draft. We’re fine.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  9. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Looks are really deceiving

10. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Agreed. I was pointing that out earlier. It just doesn't seem like Porter is looking to distribute the ball most of the time. I know he makes the assist now and again but more often than not he's just looking to score. I see so many lost opportunities with green cut into the basket or wide-open, only to get ignored by Porter.

Based on what I've seen this far I really think the Rockets need a true point guard with Porter playing the 2 guard spot. Green can play a back up 2 at this point or they can go small with Green at the 2 Porter at the 3. And yes, the offesne looks like streetball. It's a little infuriating when you watch other teams score as they cut to the basket and set screens

PeterKingX likes this.
  11. Salvy

Salvy Member

I mean, maybe if Rockets had a real coach and not a lifelong assistant we could see what Green could do. For now he will have to figure things out himself.

12. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Au Contrare. Kobe airballing every shot in an elimination game vs Utah is big in the Kobe lore. It was the moment he realized talent alone wasn’t going to cut it in the NBA, he knew he had to work his ass of to get better.

i3artow i3aller and jiggyfly like this.
  13. Salvy

Salvy Member

So are you trying to say that even thou Green looks girly, he isn't?

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah people are lowering the bar all of a sudden.

I expect ROY. That's what we expected when we drafted him, when then GMs were polled, that's what they all expect.

Now if he finishes top 3, that's cool I'll accept that. Bare minimum, all rookie 1st team.

Because people forget one of his draft pros was being NBA ready or close to it.

I still think Green can be great, I'm not going to personally cap out his ceiling at Jalen Green because a lot of that is mentality. I think Green still has the mentality, from what we know at least, of an elite player and because of that he'll naturally get better.

15. NewAge

NewAge Member

mmmm... I don't remember reading anywhere that Kobe came-in lazy in the league... Point was he was completely self-UNaware that he was a teenager with poor shooting %age, and took these shots with gusto...

Of course, that's not to say that hard work is not important. It's extremely important. But these guys are hoop-junkies, they live in the gym.

Maybe one guy who tried to get-by mostly on talent, that was T-Mac. He had it in him, as a gamer, he elevated in the playoffs, but did not work hard enough...

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The Rockets look absolutely discombobulated and uncoached.

SC1211 and NewAge like this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Why is it so important for him to win ROY anyway, you can get that through inflating stats ala Wiggins, Tyreke Evans and not be anything. He needs to learn how to play the game efficiently and properly.

18. MystikArkitect

Giddey is a natural PG who can run an offense and has done so for a while. Green is a SG who needs support to set up his looks. Yeah he's going to learn over time to separate and create his own shots vs the various defenses he's going to see but he needs some time to figure it out. Players who are Swiss army knives look better here than others who need to settle into their role. Sengun looks like that right now. The most impressive rookies have been Sengun, Giddey and Mitchell.

Jalen has the tools and potential. But there are definite concerns with both his character and the support system around him. This team looks like a poorly run day care facility. I'm frankly tired of seeing 3/5 starters taking to social media seemingly every day to rant or say some nonsense. This team needs some discipline.

cmoak1982 and harold bingo like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think its moving the goal posts .... it takes a while to adjust to the NBA. Some players longer than others.

This team wasn't good before he got here and isn't any better with him - Yet. He's all potential - what he might be able to become , that can be said for several other players on this roster. What might be .... and that's part of the intrigue of sports.

Not concerned about "the culture of losing" - No one wants to lose.

Right now this team just doesn't have the talent to win a whole hell of a lot.

Concerned if he doesn't win it - No
    Concerned if he isn't in the top 3 at seasons end - maybe.
    Concerned if he isn't even on the radar .... Yeah.

I think part of the problem is the expectations - he's being measured by James Harden , not the average NBA early lotto pick.
    Keep in mind that only 2 rookies scored more than 13.1 ppg last year .... and our expectations for Green on a bad team are higher than that , for some significantly higher while he won't control the action as the primary ball handler and having a questionable facilitator in KPJ running the show.

There will come a point where the team & fans will go another direction if Green doesn't fulfill some of that potential ..... That time probably isn't any time this year.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That is true, you can be ROY and that be his peak, but it's better to win it than to not win it. It usually, 9/10, means you at bare minimum have an all-star on your hands.

The last 20 years the only ROYs to really fail to live up are Emeka Okafor, Tyreke, MCW, and Wiggins...so 4 out of 20.

Not including Brandon Roy because he was absolutely a killer and would have been the best SG in the NBA until Harden came along if it weren't for injuries and didn't include Brogdon because no one expected him to be as good as he is anyway.

And to be clear I'm not saying he HAS to win it, but he needs to be in that discussion.

NewAge likes this.