1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood... Would you trade him? (Fit seems off)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slabhurta3, Oct 7, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood averaged 63% FT last season.

His career average is almost 70%.

His past preseason FT% has never been commensurate with regular season.

Not too worried yet.

groovemachine likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

How many other teams would be happy to have Wood , even if it cost them ~$36m ?

Granted , those teams are contenders or wanna be contenders ..... Not bottom dwellers like the Rockets.

As long as he's posting 20/10 & shooting better than 35% from 3 he's easily moved to some team who thinks he's the missing link and there would be multiple takers.

For now , I wouldn't trade him , I'm in wait and see where we & he are when next years deadline comes around & he's an expiring. Hell there are still options beyond his expiring where the Rockets hold his bird rights and you can still extract assets via S&T if they aren't going to extend him.
    We should be in no hurry to trade CW.

D-rock and ElDobleK like this.
  3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trade him for James Harden and picks.

4. alethios

alethios Member

If anything, the Knicks have a wealth of bigs, so someone like Obi Toppin would be intriguing.

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

KJ Martin Jr should be a Starter, because he can shoot 3s. Start him at Power Forward.

Armoni Brooks at Small Forward because Rockets have no options

Christian Wood lack of IQ in Team basketball is alarming, can't read the defense and make a Assist or knows how to play switch defense laterally.

Jaesean Tate is still terrible at shooting 3s

Free Flowing Offense, No Defense at least these Guys can Shoot 3s and play together by sharing and making Assists.

PG Kevin Porter Jr
    SG Jalen Green
    SF Armoni Brooks
    PF KJ Martin Jr
    C Alperen Sengun

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

7. dmoneybangbang

But is Woods more Vucevic than Towns?

I really do like Woods, but all those guys have been putting up numbers for multiple seasons. I wanted to trade him before the draft but I think it would be more prudent to see what he does this year.

Corrosion and bj3175 like this.
  8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wrong timeline, he needs to be flipped for value now while its at its highest.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This dude fits like a extra large condom on Jeremy Lin

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

He'll be 28 in 2yrs. Green and Porter Jr would be ready by then.

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know Lin like that but if you say so. However, you keep Wood, don't trade him.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He will be gone in free agency in two years.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Its really tough to evaluate guys on such a bad team , I don't know what CW really is ..... My position is a simple one , lets see what he does this year - if there is improvement that's conducive to winning basketball games.

We should be in no hurry to make the ultimate decision on CW - you have this season and half of next. Maybe you ship him out at next years trade deadline to a team who think's they are a CW away from their goals. Because of his contract and stats , I'm sure you could extract significant value in that scenario.
    Worst case you send him somewhere via a sign and trade the following offseason ....

There's also a scenario in which you extend him .... either way , you have plenty of time to make that decision.

D-rock likes this.
  14. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Wood plays well with Sengun. Some of the offense looks really good with allowing the big men to get the ball and running some of the offense thru the post

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Value is objectively not highest right now. He’s never had a healthy season, just repeating last years performance with better health increases his value.

He has played less than 100 nba games and there’s 82 games in a season. Likelihood of improvement is high.

People really don’t understand “sell high” at all. It’s not “sell out of anxiety that the price might drop”. This game is not for those who flinch early.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  16. DreamR

DreamR Member

It's too early to think about trading him right now

Trade priorities need to be centered around John Wall, Gordon, and House first

As long as Wood plays well he'll increase his trade value and then we can sell high on him

D-rock and Le$$ like this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree with this. Their chemistry was great last game. They just need more time playing together. Our rebounding was great when they were both in the game. Sengun just needs a decent shot at the top of the key and he will be great at initiating the offense from there. Wood is excellent offensively. He will never be a great defensive player, but can do well in the team concept when Sengun is in with him.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

not many, and I disagree that he’s easily moved making max money…we won’t be getting anything good for max contract Christian Wood, he’s not that guy

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he cant even hit FTs at a good rate, our entire team shoots FTs and 3s poorly (and the midrange lol) ... i dont trust silas or anyone on the rockets improving anyones shooting... who in the last decade has improved his shooting greatly while playing on rockets?

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Create a great culture, and a great team, have a great coaching, people will sign for less then max