1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The farther the Astros go this post season the more likely it’s harder to keep him right? Or, is it the opposite you win the World Series and you keep him and go for one or two more ??

2. awc713

awc713 Member

Never seen anything like Correa. And the fact that he *wants* to be here…Crane and Click are gonna have to sit down and figure it out. Local state taxes should help immensely.

jklb and everyday eddie like this.
  3. what

what Member

The Astros have a ridiculous offense with or without Correa. It is a fact once he is paid, he will lose his hunger. He hasn't proven that he can be generational like altuve.

And if the Astros win the championship this year, I promise he will get complacent.

I want players who are hungry. Bergman has not improved since his $100 mil.

So I would not pay him. I would let him walk.

4. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Can someone pay us for being blindsided with those terrible ass HEB commercials?

5. awc713

awc713 Member

6. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Correa won the WS in 2017 and you think he lost his hunger?

They have been in 5 straight ALCS...you think he lost his hunger?

Bregman was 2nd or 3rd in MVP in 2019 and signed the extension in spring training that season. Yes, he has some injuries this season. So we'll see if he regain back his AS-caliber play

everyday eddie, BMoney and lionaire like this.
  7. the shark

the shark Member

He's the soul of the team. Would suck to lose him. Yuli and Brantley will be off the books soon and there's NO guarantee that Framber Or Garcia will be worthy of big pay days in four yrs.

Need to try to seize the window they have right now (next 3-4 yrs). It could work if Crane is willing to go into the luxury tax. I will say there's going to be some apprehension on their part if LMJ can't pitch in the WS (if they were to make it). Gave him a five yr extension and now he's hurt. Not saying it's right or wrong buy it will go into their thinking and just because Correa was healthy this yr doesn't mean there's any guarantees he'll stay this way over a 7,8, 10 yr contract.

I just don't see how you can lose the soul and captain of your team who's in his prime, his unbelievable defense at a premium position, and that he's NAILS in the postseason and that he's the face of the franchise.

Has to be a solution. Again, Crane makes his $$ when he sells the team for TWO BILLION plus!!

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Bregman finished 2nd in MVP voting in 2019. He signed that extension before that season started. Who cares about 2020 numbers. This season was an old school Carlos Correa type season of getting off to a nice start only to have an injury derail the season. He came into the season with leg issues so I don't think we ever saw him at 100%. Let's see how he does next season before writing him off.

Oh and pay Correa.

20211016_103029.jpg

9. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I would like to add as well, he likes playing the "villain" role since the cheating scandal came out and trying to thrive off of it.

10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I think he likes to be liked. As much as I like Correa on the Stros, but if he went to a team like the Yankees, Dodgers, or teams that have fierce anti-Astros flame. It may lessen "$@ck Altuve" taunts.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Confirmed: JV will pitch for leage min for the next 5 years.

RKREBORN likes this.
  12. HeyBudLetsParty

I like how the Astros take care of their guys, having Biggio and Bagwell behind home plate for every playoff game. Josh Reddick throwing out first pitch when he was literally on another roster a month ago. I couldn’t imagine being a kid right now and my first baseball memories were of Carlos and Altuve hitting these clutch home runs one after another. Just make him a competitive offer and see where it goes, can’t break this up without giving it an actual real effort

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Astros are nowhere near the luxury tax line for 2022, even with a resigned Correa at $30-35 million, and they can be under in 2023 once Bregman starts getting $30 million, too.

Astros payroll for 2022

Maldonado and Castro = 9.25 million combined
    Yuli: $8M (free agent after 2022)
    Altuve: $29M
    Correa: $30-$35M
    Bregman: $12.66M (jumps to $30.2M in 2023)
    Brantley: $16M (free agent after 2022)
    Meyers and McCormick: Pre Arb (so 600-700K each)
    Alvarez and Tucker: Pre-Arb (600-700K each)
    Diaz: final year of arbitration (5M), free agent after 2022

Pitching:

McCullers: 17M against the luxury tax
    Framber: first year of arbitration (a couple million at best)
    Garcia: pre-arb (600-700K), doesn’t become arb eligible until 2024
    Urquidy: pre-arb (600-700K), doesn’t become arb eligible until 2023
    Odorizzi: 7.83M (player option for 6.5M in 2023)

Bullpen
    Pressly: $10M (free agent after 2022)
    Stanek (arb number 2, so probably 3-4M)
    Maton (arbitration 2, so about 1.5-2M)
    Taylor (pre-arb, 600-700K)
    Javier (pre-arb, 600-700K)
    Baez (5.5M, 2M buyout for 2023 they will exercise)
    Raley (pre-arb)

Even with Correa getting $30-$35M, the payroll is only $170M or so. Even factoring in first year arbitration numbers for Tucker, Yordan, Urquidy and a second year number for Framber, the Astros can stay under the current threshold of $210M, or find creative ways to get under if MLB reduces it in the next CBA.

#1213 DVauthrin, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  14. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Lindor’s 10/ 341 is the floor. Probably looking at 350+.

15. CinematicFusion

Publicly offer correa 10 years 350 million right after playoffs.

when it’s time to resign Alvarez… you don’t. Can’t afford him.
    Try to lock in an extension with Tucker.
    Offer Verlander 20 million one year deal

16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Past few months I’ve been going over countless scenarios on keeping Correa. The more he keeps performing, the more likely the Astros do anything and everything to keep him (at least that’s what I hope). He’s won over fans for the most part (what more do the fans who oppose keeping him want?) and the worst thing Crane can do is let one of the face of your franchise walk for a pick that will probably not pan out. It would be a bad move all around.

Championship runs don’t happen often and we’ve been lucky to witness 5 straight years of dominance. Locking in Correa could lock in another 5 years. Furthermore, I don’t know if most fans could forgive Crane during the post Correa era if we don’t win one. That’s going to hurt Crane and associates pocketbooks. It’s getting to the point where I don’t want to hear any excuses as to why you can’t bring him back. You can bring him back and if your short on money… I hate to say it… I’d have to say bye to Bregman.

Find a trade partner for the star third baseman. While he may make close to 30 million, I’m willing to bet there are teams out there willing to take him on some, if not most of his contract and give some prospects in return. I have faith Crane isn’t dumb enough to let Correa go. You have the money, you have the ability to shed salary, and you have the championship run still in tact.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The way I see it, Altuve and Correa are the new Biggio and Bagwell ..... though neither of them is as good as Bagwell was.

You have to keep them Astros forever.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

People just don't understand that you can overpay the best player in any sport. It is especially true in team sports. There is always a cost and always a benefit. But fans never see the cost or do and don't care. They always assume the best year ever, every year, even though history shows that doesn't happen.

But fans HATE fiscal sanity.

19. Elienator

Elienator Member

The Astros franchise is valued at 1.87 Billion dollars post covid. Jim Crane is worth 3 Billion.

You are right that fans don’t care if the owner saves $10 million a year or not when they are paying $20 for a beer. They want to see a quality product with the players they enjoy watching. I’m not paying to watch Jim Crane.

The salary structure of MLB is messed up and most players are underpaid and don’t hit this kind of big pay day. Things like the luxury tax are designed to keep player salaries down for cheap owners, not to make things more competitive (despite how they sell it). That Tucker, Alvarez, Garcia, Urquidy, Framber, are all dramatically underpaid and will be for a while means the Astros are actually in a position they could make a Carlos a serious offer, maintain a competitive team, and still be under the luxury tax.

Jake Tower likes this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Uh.....Bregman finished second in MVP voting the season after he signed his contract, and arguably should have won.