1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 10/15/2021 (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You guys make no sense did you even read what I said? Some do some dont. You're acting like im saying what Im saying just to defend Jalen. Everything is either or on this stupid site with you people lol Does he look better than Jalen right now yes? So the **** what? Some rookies take time some dont. I always feel like im talking to the dumbest people who ever lived when I come on here lol

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

I mean this dumbass here said that Sengun would be better than Green before either of them were drafted. To you it might not mean anything when reality is staring you in the face, and you can still lie to yourself. To me it’s just reinforcement to what was going to happen all along.

hakeem94 and NewAge like this.
  3. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

jalen: uncle Pete, ain't that too painful

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

:D

D-rock likes this.
  5. bmelo

bmelo Member

Some rookies take time but every future superstar rookie is elite at something. Jalen looks like Lonzo Ball level more than Kobe.

And you act like Sengun is finished product - wait until he puts on NBA muscle and strenght program by 21 he will be monster. He is naturaly strong at 18 imagine what he will do when he can body other players.

what Jalen can improve? Everything but he will never be a strong player because he is thin framed. His shot form isnt perfect so he will be streaky. Playmaking is absent. Off ball cuts are absent. He can and will improve but its hard to see him as next superstar, someone said Bradley Beal is his ceiling and I would agree. Its still top player but not a superstar top10 tier

CXbby and ashleyem like this.
  6. bmelo

bmelo Member

And I got lied to about his athleticism. If you cant get a shot off against McDermont anytime you want as a #2 pick no matter your age its not a good look

CXbby, hakeem94 and DaDakota like this.
  7. NewAge

NewAge Member

seemed to me as if the whole team wore these outfits:

[​IMG]

8. DreamR

DreamR Member

Defense, chemistry, and 3 point shooting remain a problem.

There were some bright spots though.

Wood reminding us who he was last season.

Sengun being Sengun with more playing time and a start (yay)

And Jalen Green not settling for jump shots as much, but instead driving through the lane and getting to the free throw line.

JG4 was really lacking in this category in previous games but if he wants to someday be our main scorer he needs to learn how to draw fouls. So glad he's starting to do so.

And can't forget about Jaygup being a dog on defense ripping the ball from Primo just like he did to Cade in summer league.

NewAge likes this.
  9. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I missed the game..how did jalen look? This is the only preseason game I’ve missed and by the looks of it I think alphy was the best pick in the draft!

bmelo, CXbby and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I hate to be the one to tell you this but people are people.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Sengun

Sengun Member

[​IMG]

Wood-Sengun era must begin.

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Some of yall argue to argue...give it a break

We have a great future, its too early to give real comparisons of what someone is going to become. Sure we would like Sengun to become Duncan, Green is the next Kobe etc...give it couple of seasons and we can get into the nitty gritty

13. fattz

fattz Member

My hope is Silas is working with each rookie as an individual, making decisions that effect the team but for the development of the player.

KPJ needs to be shown he is needed & loved. —> Wall is gone and only good things are said about him.

Sengun has a very big internal drive so coach only gives little at a time knowing it makes his hunger more —> no starting lineups

Green seems to be motivated by not being embarrassed —> something happened at half time and the 3rd quarter was so promising tonight.

Christopher & Garuba —> harder to read because of lack of exposure.

14. j@amc

j@amc Member

Christian Wood (6 TOs) ouch. He may be able to bring the ball up on the break, but the experience/decision-making is lagging. I wish he would take the easy play: find a guard on the wing and get out and run. When Wood secures a board and then takes two slow, methodical dribbles, the break is over. Even a well-coached high school team can change ends and set up their defense.

The Rockets have a lot of young legs and ought to commit themselves to be one of the elite fastbreak teams in the league. But the break begins with rebounding and a basic outlet pass--a lost art in today's game. In today's game, do guards even make themselves available on the wing?

The old-school stuff works for a reason: PG in the middle, wings running with solid angles, one big man trailing the play as a cutter, the other to the high post who can reverse the ball. Then, seamlessly get into an offensive set.

You don't have to be Show Time or have Magic Johnson on your squad to run an exciting, deadly break. The 1980s Celtics team that locked horns with them was loaded with veteran players, but they ran as a team. They had no wasted movement. Guys ran as a unit and with great spacing.

Fastbreak basketball is one of those little areas that Silas could coach these young players to help them find a more effective, upbeat style of play. Why settle for being mediocre/terrible in this facet of the game?

Joe Rocket and Kevooooo like this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

not that i need my coaching screaming like thibs out there, it was really evident the level of coaching disparity between the spurs and us just from an organizational stand point.

the spurs are not very talented (primo looked nice when he came on) and it felt all their players knew their role and how to contribute to the team. Compare that to us where KPJ and Green have to figure out when each need to be aggressive and when to defer. They both seem hesitant. Add in Wood who almost never passes after an action and it's going to take a while.

#655 Bo6, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Kind of a funny comment considering Kobe averaged 7 points his first season and 15 his second on a mediocre TS%. If I’m a betting man, and I am, I’d wager Green will average more than 15 this season. People on this forum are way too quick to make comparisons and conclusions.

Joe Rocket and D-rock like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep,

btw you dont even have to fire him, just demote him to an assistant or a shooting coach, i like what he has done with our entire team as per shooting, 3pt and FT shooting of the team has significantly improved all around....

DeBeards likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes, it's called evolving.

In basketball terminology, it's an adjustment.

The best coaches tweak the system to fit the players, not tweak the players to fit the system.

Your welcome.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I disagree.

Because Rockets were bottom of NBA in pace when CP3 was acquired, the previous season Rockets were at top of NBA in pace.

D'Antoni understands how to fit talent to his system.

And he also made PF David Lee a rich man by featuring him as focal point of the offense in NY.

David Lee was Julius Randle before Julius Randle.

MDA loves skill players and he will find ways to fit his system around them, like the best coaches do.

Sengun is a skilled player.

MDA would have loved him too.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Don't forget the dearth of playmaking, FT completions and the bounty of TO.

Silas has not fixed anything from last season.

hakeem94 likes this.