1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

No clue why people are shocked Green looks bad against NBA vets. He has pro experience but not a pro body. He physically cannot hang with NBA forwards or even most guards. Give him a year or two in the gym and see how his game evolves.

Guards very rarely tear up the league at 19. Guys like Mitchell and Harden were drafted at 20, with another year of S&C under their belts.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

The team is so bad, he hasn't had to earn his starting slot, and it's looking so bad right now, he is literally going to be handed leadership reigns too. That's not a terrible thing, but it means 14ppg this season would be disappointing. Ready or not. He needs to be up near 20 ppg because it is literally his team to carry and there's no reason his volume should be anything less. Do that, and the future can still be bright. The 8 FT was promising. More of that.

harold bingo, bmelo and amaru like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Zero rebounds, not a great sign. So far, I have seen some evidence of scoring ability, but rebounding, passing, defense has been mostly absent.

palmsnbananas and NewAge like this.
  4. Rockets4Life13

Watch the game, not the box score.
    I’ve seen plenty of times where Green boxed out well, would’ve been in position to get the rebound but someone else grabbed it (which is perfectly fine). As a team, we rebounded well. Wood with 19. That’s team effort not only a single player.

i3artow i3aller, anchel and NewAge like this.
  5. anchel

anchel Member

Yeah, in defense of Green, his attitude and energy looks very good. If he's smart his defensive effectiveness is going to improve with time. And this is not something we should give for granted, many young players just don't get it. But I like his effort and his self awareness of being not good enough, you can see his willing for improvement. This is something I see to a lesser exent in Porter, btw. And Porter is not a 19 y.o. rookie.

6. NewAge

NewAge Member

same was said about young Kobe by… nobody ever

bmelo likes this.
  7. bmelo

bmelo Member

It has nothing to do with energy. He just looks bad and people tell it like it is. When he looks good people will praise him. Whats wrong with that?

palmsnbananas likes this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Cause folks like u if they hate or dislike a player will b negative and btch about that said player regardless of how he performs.

Example: u and Harden.

So it's hard to take folks like u seriously

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

His passing had been better than what I expected. Defense is non-existent. My issue with him was his lack of aggression in taking the ball to the basket, but I believe that with more time and strength that will improve.

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

thought his mentality was a lot better last night in the second half. was aggressive earning a lot of free-throws.

he really needs to work on his shot mechanics in the off-season. his release is too slow right now for him to comfortably get his shot off.

anyone remember trae young's preseason?

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Funny, this is one of the most athletic non-offensive or non-defensive plays I've ever seen in my life. Absolutely ridiculous.

With that said, I think he's trying to defer to the vets, be a good teammate, yada yada... when he's aggressive and asserts himself (2nd half) he's a different player.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Green in the second half wasn’t just better cause of scoring. He was hitting solid passes too. For that matter he had some decent passes the first half.

Rockets in general are just not good at scoring. Even Sengun, everyone’s favorite, you’re not sure if he’ll make just simple layups at times. So assists can be hard to come by on this team. Spurs had 30 assists. Rockets 15. It’s not just Green. Spacing and coaching are playing a role here too.

my biggest concern off last game was Greens passing. It wasn’t just not there, he was literally passing it to the other team or wide empty space. This game his passing wasn’t just better it was good.

Bo6, CXbby and harold bingo like this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Were going to absolutely suck. If you were not looking at next years prospects and salivating at the FUTURE? Well then you got way ahead of yourselves.

You see airballs and the series loss. Clutchfans would have 10 different topics about keeping Divac instead of trading for Kobe. Instead of seeing the fearless bad mother****er who kept shooting without hesitation. In fact, I want to see Green be that selfish and bad early.

[​IMG]

14. NewAge

NewAge Member

how come I have never seen a Vince Carter comp for JG?
    I think I can see it…

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

he has rebounded well in other games and during summer league. It's weird because at half time it seems someone told Green to be more aggressive than he was more aggressive going to the basket. Summer league Green looked like the player we thought he would be then he got into training camp and now he looks confused about what he should be doing sometimes.

16. NewAge

NewAge Member

I’ve been thinking about these same airballs yesterday, when reading about Ben Simmons and what he reportedly said to Sixers, that he didn’t get a chance to make mistakes. Something to it, something to it, for sure. Trying too hard to fit-in is a great way to grow as a role player but not a good way to grow as a superstar.

Simmons - an intelligent and self-aware kid - has been playing for years , since LSU, "not to fail". You need that delusional mamba mindset that you’re the best and you’ll take that shot and make it if you are to be a superstar. and fail. OTOH guys like Deion Waiters, von Wafer and others cut their careers short because the same irrational overconfidence is a huge negative for role players…

Vince Carter is probably an example of a guy on the edge who made it work: talented enough to be a superstar, but lacking that alpha personality. accepted what it is for what it is and had a very loooooong HOF career as a secondary guy…

Caesar likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , I was thinking the same thing watching that last preseason game - It's gonna be a long year.

It's not just Green tho .... He probably looks better on a more structured team. This roster just doesn't have a point guard to get guys good shots. Or at least we haven't seen that during the preseason where they "Didn't run plays".

KPJ has a lot of potential there but .... he doesn't take control often enough, its almost as if he's playing a wing spot on 2/3rds of the possessions instead of being the point. He's really got to establish himself as the facilitator ....

Sengun helps some but the offense really isn't built to suit his skillset. There just aren't many cutters in a 5 out scheme. Same can be said for Green , this offense doesn't highlight his shooting by getting him open looks , he really has to work to get those shots. No screens or pin downs to get him free.

They need something besides the high pick and roll ..... which they don't run often enough.

Yeah , its gonna be a long year .... 22.5 wins being the over / under and its a coin flip which to take.

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Green looks fine to me.

Passing has actually been WAY stronger than I thought it would be. He will hit the three ball more consistently as he gets comfortable.

19. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah thats maybe my biggest concern is that no matter how good or talented a 19 year old is they're still 19 and you need to help them with structure and getting good looks. It's like they just said here you go Jalen now go get it which is not conducive to development or confidence.

20. bmelo

bmelo Member

I came here liking Harden, he made me dislike him. I would change my note if he got over the hump but not only he didnt he just quit on the team. Thats his legacy here and its written, cant change it

Jalen Green has all the tools to turn it around but as long as he plays like this he wont get love. It is what it is

harold bingo and NewAge like this.