1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. DreamR

DreamR Member

The degree of difficulty of the shots he was taking in the summer league was much greater than the shots he has been taking in preseason so far.

Yet he shot a much better fg% in the summer league.

It feels to me like he is rushing into his shots now. Trying to go for the first opportunity he sees to shoot and doing so as quickly as possible.

And it stops him from developing a shooting rhythm.

Also, the defenders are a little bigger, stronger, and taller than what he's used to.

Over time it will get better but we need to be a little patient.

Unrealistic expectations for his first year in the league are only going to lead to disappointment.

2. bmelo

bmelo Member

No and i hope he wont because its fast track to ligaments injuries. I just said it wont change nothing for now. Good thing he putting in work

xaos likes this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Thread is all over the place honestly.

While we shouldn't expect Green to be the next Kobe...even Kobe had a bad rookie year...

We should though expect him to be a top rookie, mostly everyone expects him to be a ROY candidate and the consensus is that he'll win ROY...he's supposed to be the most ready considering the Gleague thing, that's all a lot of people talked about when compared to Mobley "He played in the Gleague so he's NBA ready," I mean I heard that crap a ton when arguing for Mobley soooooo.....

With all that said, it's silly to make any final judgments from pre-season games lol.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The biggest problem with Green right now is that he gets bumped of course way too easily, on both O and D. That was expected though and as Green puts on some more muscle and core strength, he should be fine.

BallaDoc and smoothie like this.
  5. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

The most obvious issue is he's too weak to defend or get around tough NBA defenders. Almost every team has at least one player to man in the middle of the paint. He'll need to get much stronger if he wants to score inside. It's blatantly obvious he isn't strong enough to shed defenders at this point.

Another area I've noticed is that he drives to the right almost all the time. If he really wants become a high fever moscato player he'll need to work on his handles. Not only does me need to work on driving to the left, but he's turnover prone at this point.

I just hope at some point Green gets to play off a true true point guard, and within an offense designed to free him coming off of screens.

Like others of pointed out, there are plenty the players that took a year to to really develop. Trae Young and Metro come to mind. While some players make an immediate impact like Donacic, I think Green is realizing he isn't gonna dominate in the NBA right away.

#405 RocketOrg, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    BonziWellsGOAT, BallaDoc, Bo6 and 2 others like this.
  6. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think that’s a bit of a cop-out. You don’t think more tenacity and mental toughness can remedy to an extent? There have been many skinny players in the NBA who were tough as nails. Filling out will help, certainly, but he’s not really weak. He’s skinny, but with a wire-y and muscular frame… I think he can do much better with some adjustments upstairs… and I’ll stop at that.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Self Awareness is a gift good job pawpaw. Keep it to the tangibles.

8. NewAge

NewAge Member

Anything to protect the tender feelings of my little SJW friends here! :)

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats how puppies learn .. a little tap with a rolled up newspaper and they get the point. Again good job - if you want to spout off your ignorance in what is wrong with the world take a trip to the D&D - a nice litte thread about Fled Cruz you might like is waiting for you. Keep the GARM free of your jargon. None of it existed until you came along.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

My mother said never to listen to people who use the term "sjw" unironically because then your brain melts.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Like many have said,

I expect low FG%, high turnovers, poor decision making.

I expect him to have a hard time getting to the rim or FT line for a few reasons. first, as many have stated he's too weak and gets bumped off his line. second, he isn't good at beating guys off the dribble and relies only on a quick first step. lastly, even if his quick first step gets him by the initial defender, he's not great at dribbling in traffic or passing on the move so its likely that a help defender will force him to give up the ball.

I think he can score mostly on catch and shoot 3's, cuts, and transition. for now.

what I hope to see is the rockets allow him to play on-ball more than he's comfortable with. he needs to develop his iso game and playmaking. it will be ugly for a while until he figures it out. but I believe all of that can be taught, and he's already got what you can't teach which is elite athleticism with incredible work ethic and self awareness.

amaru, NewAge and Tuckankhamun like this.
  12. NewAge

NewAge Member

Oh, it's 100% ironic, trust me!!! These are complete phonies...

13. NewAge

NewAge Member

Good points. On this last one: don't you think it will be better to do that off-the-bench? 1. KPJ and Wood need to eat on the first unit. 2. He'll be going against second units, hopefully he can have more success and build confidence?

14. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

23 PPG, 5 APG, 51% TS, his first step is something else but he's not strong or polished enough to finish against NBA defenders. As others said, he needs to put on muscle, learn to finish with his left, and get his handles to the point where he can use his elite first step. I'm expecting a De'Aaron Fox type rookie season with more scoring. I want him really expanding his game in every way possible, he should strive to be the best player in the world for one year in his career. Damian Lillard is a great player, but he's not good enough to win a title as the best player on a team. Green needs to overshoot for the stars.

Jalen Green can be as good as Jalen Green wants to be.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

My hope is that we see visible improvements by December, momentum going into all star break, and then another benchmark improvement the last month of the season.

I want to see his FG% improve noticeably from November to the end of this season.

I want him to come in next season a bit stronger, and less turnover prone.

I hope by year 3 he becomes more comfortable making plays for others and his turnover rate reduces significantly.

By year 4 I want him to be a clear all star contender (maybe he doesn’t get voted in, but he clearly is talked about as being in that tier — like Wood). Guards are stacked so it’s going to be tough to be an all star before then even if he is playing fairly well. Unless he just improves by leaps and bounds in a year.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah I think we saw him handle the ball a lot in summer league. less in the preseason. I think during regular season (at least before all star break) they'll try to win games and put guys in position to succeed right now. that means more off-ball catch and shoot stuff for green. that's where his skillset is already at NBA level. the dribbling and passing are not there yet.

I'd love to see them run some sets the heat use for Duncan Robinson or the warriors use for Klay. set screens for him and look for him when he's coming off them. I'd expect some low efficiency the first half of the year. but maybe good efficiency post all star? once the efficiency kicks in on the catch and shoots, then he can spend time building out his dribble package. work on catch-and-drives over the summer, become a good PnR handler in year 3, an iso dribbler in year 4. I can see him become a total offensive package in time for his max extension. but I think for him it all starts with becoming a catch and shoot threat at high efficiency because that opens up the driving lanes for his speed and athleticism.

18. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

T R A S H......what do you expect drafting a d leaguer

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

F that. Let the kid keep attacking, practicing and training. It’s going to be a while before we have another season where the games matter less than they do right now.

When it comes to franchise players, first priority is they have to be getting to the line 6-10 times per game. Cannot have a first tier star without that. He’ll do it, I can see it.

He has to learn to go left as well as have more nimble footwork evading the big man on the drive. He makes it way too easy for the big man to just go up and down, which is not to Green’s advantage. Strength issue is overblown imo.

After that you work on his 3 and kick outs. If he can do those 3 things and continue to give effort on defense, he’s a franchise player.

That’s the only question we need answered. Can he be a franchise player in the future? Still looking like hell yes to me.

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Best case scenario is a Bradley Beal or Zach Lavine. Is that a franchise player? If that’s your best player then your team is going nowhere. But that’s still a useful player, especially if he develops his off ball movement (haven’t seen much), his skill set could be a good fit as Robin to Sengun’s Batman. Like MPJ with Jokic.

CRJ713 likes this.