1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 10/15/2021 (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 13, 2021.

1. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

If I get Green in that 3rd for 3 out of 4 quarters, then I think he'll start meeting people's expectations including my own. I believe he has it, but I want to see more of that and find out who it actually was that made him wake up. He needs more of that.

I think KPJ can personally benefit more by finding ways to get Green involved. Green is a bucket and will lighten up the coverage for everyone if he's causing the other team to adjust to him. While KPJ is super savvy, Green I think has the ability to heat up quick making defenses gravitate. It'll be interesting to see KPJ and Green coexist.

There were also times when Coach has Sengun come in to help out KPJ. I think KPJ likes to create more for himself, whereas Green can be a good cutter. I'd like to see Sengun come in with Green more.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

missed the preseason. did we championship?

juanm34, i3artow i3aller and hakeem94 like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

dont know where to look for stats but i think sengun is top 3 nba player in fta per minute played in preseason... hes a ft machine... do you know any site that keeps preseasons stats?
    @D-rock

D-rock likes this.
  4. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

We can agree to disagree.

Anyone who has been a coach, manager, leader etc. Knows you need talent to win. He put them in positions to get open looks and they were missing layups, open shots and even free throws.

If your starters and best talent is on the floor, missing free throws, layups and open shots is all on that player and not the coach.

We don't have a veteran team or an MVP caliber player anymore, we got spoiled. This is what a rebuilding team for any coach looks like. Ask Popovich and other good coaches who had to rebuild.

2Cleva and i3artow i3aller like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

NBA.com

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no, but Jalen Green won B-BOP award
    The Biggest Bust of the Preseason

Jontro likes this.
  7. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

In my opinion they each get tunnel vision when its their turn to 'run the offense'. They play better in a 2-man game with a big because they don't look up until they're in the key and the path to the basket has closed up. And at that point the only player they see is Sengun/Wood in the paint.

I don't see either of these guys involved in possessions where the ball goes from side to side on the perimeter, making the defense rotate to cover, etc.

I think this is definitely fixable, and once these guys start hitting shots I see no reason why they can't excel together.

i3artow i3aller, apollo33 and D-rock like this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

but i heard dancing turkish delight is secksy

9. fattz

fattz Member

It was nice to see Wood be his “good” self again.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  10. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Three very different situations: 1) Green, I am not concerned, it is part of the normal performance of a developing rookie. 2) Sengün, he is not having a normal performance, he is totally above the normal learning curve, if he maintains this level he is a serious candidate for rookie of the year. 3) KPJ, is the one who really worries me, totally inconsistent on both sides of the court and without understanding the role of PG, he shouldn't take so many shots, he still doesn't convince me.

D-rock likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

They should have spent countless hours playing together in offseason.

That's one thing we've learned builds chemistry, playing basketball.

Hakeem and most recently Harden have taught us that.

Harden always makes a point to play hours upon hours with new players so they can hit first game of regular season running at full sprint.

Harden was able to avoid a rebuild/acclimation season this way.

RocketsFido and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

That's pretty disappointing if that's the quality Green is going to get you as a 'franchise altering player'

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Good points

D-rock likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they need to hit the g league and play in the valley as well

15. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

I'm sure they did play together a lot this offseason, but for whatever reason this isn't fully there yet.

Harden is a savant, and has over a decade more experience than these kids. I'm pretty sure they will figure it out, especially Green. He's got a great attitude and seems very coachable by all accounts

16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Wood and Sengun played well but Porter is very disappointing. I do not think he can shoot at all. He has no confidence in his shooting and I thought spending his whole summer in Houston made him a better shooter...........NOPE. He is going to hurt our rebuilding our team. Our three best players are Wood, Gordon and Wall.....but Wall is not going to play so Green but Sengun is rock solid as a rookie....he is a walking double-double if he gets the minutes

fattz likes this.
  17. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Rebuilding around young Gs will always be tough. These guys are not Magic or Isaiah. This is going to take some time. Coaching can’t fix it, only time can. They will look bad more often than they look good. Just gotta have some patience through this period of development. Lower your expectations..haha

Zen Tabak likes this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This this this. When you watch someone like Luka, Harden or even Lamelo play, they are constantly surveying the floor, they know where exactly everyone is. They are ready to throw the ball to all corners and cuts at at time during a drive.

Green and KPJ are still stuck putting their head down on a drive and only looks up when they are stuck in the lane.

I think having vision is a natural talent that's hard to learn. It's something that's hard to teach someone where to look and how to anticipate.

fattz, jboslett, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  19. juanming

juanming Member

Biggest red flag no one has mentioned from the game, the starters combined to have only like 6 assists.. horrible just horrible

That tells me two things, 1.the coaching philosophy is not tailored to ball movement but instead one on one

And 2. Other than sengun we got a team full of chuckers

We need a new coach like adelman or spoelstra AND we got two players who want to "get theirs" that being wood and green. Green i think just hasn't ever been told to pass , hes always been "the man" so I'll give him a pass. Wood however we all know is playing for that elusive max contract so combined with Silas "one on one" philosophy, it's just messy, stagnic losing basketball. Not to mention no one except garuba and Josh are willing to play defense

This team needs ALOT of rebuilding. Might take 3 yrs or more

fattz, amaru and D-rock like this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The Murray and White that scorched our guards tonight.

D-rock likes this.