1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Dems should learn from Republicans and fight their culture war battles by making the mid terms a bit of an anti culture war referendum. If Dems do not rub this in their faces that they are the party of Holocaust denial then they are going to lose by allowing the other side to use these tactics without recourse.

B-Bob, Kim and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

It's looking good for the Republicans..... but I will say this, IF the Republicans do not put up a strong showing, then they really need to reevaluate their platform and leadership, but this SHOULD be a Republican romp in the current environment.

Kim, dobro1229 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

school board elections in a few weeks will be interesting, given the heightened awareness around masks/vaccine mandates for students and critical race theory being taught to children

I've never given much thought to school board and have always left that section of the ballot blank. Not this year.

4. HTM

HTM Member

It’s 13 months away though. Things change. I mean, our sense of outrage about Afghanistan lasted like 3 weeks.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. CCorn

CCorn Member

What’s an opposing viewpoint from the holocaust? Those mean ole Jew bankers were bad?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed, it IS a long way away.... but if I were to draw a timeline of what it "should" look like at this point, I would say it is in line with a strong showing for the Republicans. Trends can change, if the economic outlook is really strong and it is relatively quiet domestically, it could be really bad for Republicans in 2022. However, with the residue of COVID..... the Supreme Court rulings anticipated, the number of people choosing to not be in the labor force, the supply chain short falls, China and identity politics.... it is tough to navigate that for a President in a polarized country.

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You should always pay attention to, and vote, in your school board elections. It's probably the most electorally consequential thing in your life (if you have kids).

That being said, you fell pretty hard for the culture war call to arms. Based and Fox-pilled.

What is actually occurring that you can vote on are programs that affect student development and performance in the name of equity. A good example is what NYC just did in abolishing their accelerated programs since they were not being equally leveraged across all ethnic groups.

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

9. dmoneybangbang

Does Trump know? Why is he playing king maker in GOP primaries?

B-Bob and Andre0087 like this.
  10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I agreed with you until I read that last part...what's wrong the “gifted and talented” program in NYC?

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You'd have to ask them, because they just abolished them in the name of equity.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even if you don't have kids you should vote in your school board elections. As we seen school board issues often affect wider society but they often are an entry point to people seeking further office. If you want to help shape who will likely be future representatives and senators look to who's running for school board.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes at the moment things don't look good and historically the party in power does poorly in midterms. Several of the problems you mention could still be fixed. Also even if the USSC rules against Democrats that will likely help Democratic turnout. The TX law and the fear of several other states enacting similar laws could drive Democratic leaning turnout especially among suburban women.

I will say it again if come Fall 2022 and much of the Republican party is still strongly pushing that 2020 was stolen that will not only energize Democrats it's likely to alienate independents.

One thing that the Democrats though desperately need to do before 2022 is get AN INFRASTRUCTURE BILL PASSED. Ideally both the bipartisan bill and some form of the Build Back Better but failure to do either will be very costly.

JayGoogle and Nook like this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Dems will lose on the map alone and gerrymandering honestly and that's to be expected. If the GOP loses it would be a complete rebuke of their party but I don't expect it to happen in 2022.

With that said, the GOP leadership is in a tight spot right now because I just can't see Trump winning in 2024, no matter the opponent. People gave it a shot. Hated it. Don't think it'll happen again. The problem for the GOP is Trump won't allow anyone else to run. While Biden might not be the most popular president Trump is historically unpopular, people will vote just to vote against him.

So the DNC should just play as much defense as they can for 2022. They do need to pass what they want before the midterms though so they can get something out of these 2 years.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Not really. If you live in the hood there isn't anything the school board can do. Look at all the folks buying inside the loop. Housing prices going up schools still suck.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I've always told my son that if he ever decides to run for an office, to start with the local school board. It is the single most important position that can directly impact folks (mainly those with kids) and a single, strong member can use their influence to get their agenda passed.

Ubiquitin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

I'm not so sure about that. I thought the same on Nov 1, 2020. But if Trump flipped 20,000 votes combined in Wisconsin, Georgia, and Arizona, he's currently the President. That's a rounding error where bad weather in a few cities or other such random things could have flipped the results. A lot of voters rebuked Trump. But a whole lot came out to support him too.

You'd hope his actions since would change opinions, but I don't think we know that for sure.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

A lot of those votes he will never flip, I'm confident about that. Like Wisconsin for example, people really downplayed the black turn out there, black people came out to deny him and that played a huge role in him losing that state. I really don't expect black voters to flip for Trump or...get so disinterested that they won't come out to vote.

There's a lot of people Trump will never win back so I don't think Trump is capable of flipping votes. A Desantis/Tim Scott ticket, sure, but Trump? No, I think at this point he's not flipping anyone's opinion of him.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Hopefully he’s dead by 2024.

20. Major

Major Member

People downplayed the black turnout in WI because it wasn't very good. Biden won largely by flipping white voters. Beyond that, I think you underestimate how little 10000 votes in Wisconsin is when 3.2 million people vote.

https://madison365.com/statewide-vo...out-remained-steady-in-presidential-election/

Statewide voter turnout surged, but Black turnout remained steady, in presidential election

Nationally, I think people way underestimate Trump's appeal with Latino voters for whatever reason. I think Trump outperforms most other GOP candidates in a general election because he collects a lot of Latino votes (there's some history there with Latin America and the appeal of machismo and "strongman" leaders all across South and Central America)