1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Winning vs Developing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketeer, Oct 13, 2021.

?

Which one would you prioritize this season?

1. Win at all costs

9 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. Prioritize development of young players

105 vote(s)
    92.1%
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

I really disagree that there’s a lot of offense on this team…neither KPJr or Green will be high level or efficient scorers…Wood is a 3rd option type player who gives u just 20 ppg

Sengun is a rookie

everyone else is nothing to write home about on offense

I guess I don’t see where all this offense is on this team

Rocketeer, jordnnnn, YOLO and 3 others like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

YEP
    [​IMG]

fryjol7 likes this.
  3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Totally different league. Astros have a farm system. The g league is nowhere near the minor leagues in terms of developing guys. It’s a much more extensive system. And is there a salary floor in baseball? The Astros were allowed to shed practically everything. I think they at one point had 30M salary roster. Rockets can’t do that, they have to spend like 90% of cap and unless you’re just giving away money, you’re going to have to take on players that can play and therefore help you win. To be like the Astros we’d have to send every single rookie to the RGV for like 3 years straight.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's no such thing as winning right now. All this is about is hoping certain guys can develop into actual winning players. And from their you can actually have a foundation to build upon. There's just a long list of question marks now. Folks have been trying to prop up and overrate this team for months. Just stop. The Rockets will continue to suck for awhile. Get used to it. That's just the reality of dismantling a title contender and starting from scratch

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No organization with their best player being a journeyman (albeit young) center who has yet to make the all-star team has had a winning record.

Think about that for a minute.

This team was completed rebooted with the top talent and role players gone. The best vet is being forced to sit, and the other vet is likely to be traded in the coming months.

The Rockets had a very long streak of playoff appearances - one of the longest. Why cry when they miss a few postseasons?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

well we know that isn't true bc there's young guys every single year who don't develop and organizations who have been trying to get on a winning track for years

Astros have nothing to do with the Rockets

Monkeychef02 and D-rock like this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Most sensible fans knew there was going to be growing pains. It may even take multiple years to get the experience and fit necessary to contend. There will be nights when the shots are falling and everyone is happy - others where people will freak out and start to get impatient. It wont be decided by neither 4 preseason games or even a full regular season. Patience is a virtue and the real fans will be able to deal with the process. Anyone remember those 100 loss seasons with Bo Porter and the young Stros??? I do. Keep the faith!

Easy and steddinotayto like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All I care about is progress
    Dream didn't take the Rockets to the Finals in his first year

Dream took us to the Finals in his second year
    @heypartner

D-rock likes this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think there's a good amount of members/fans that arrived here after we got Harden thereby only experiencing highs and not the lows that preceded the Harden era. At least that's what I'm hoping the case is right now.

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ahhh yes. The "loveable losers" era with Kevin Martin and Mr Magoo. ROX always mentioned in those "teams about to break out" columns but never really broke out. That was the fan epitome of Sisyphus.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

At least those teams were mediocre. There were times in the early 2000s when you look at the talent and the vets on the roster and think "How in the hell did they not get to a .500 record?"

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yeah those Rudy T and Stevie/Cuttino teams were tough. Hard to remember HOW they were able to compete, but it lead us into the Yao/Tmac/Smeagle era which was also a tough pill to swallow when the injuries mounted up - plus Fk the Jazz.

Im hoping with the new crop of youngsters we can find a few who will pan out and we can add an alpha veteran plus a legitimate coach and find ourselves back to our normal place in the league as a contender. Its going to take some losing for it all to happen, but Im here for it.

steddinotayto likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Here is how I feel about this season:

1. Development should be the absolute highest priority. Nothing should get in its way.

2. We should not intentionally tank just for getting another top pick. I don't want them to think, "We are going to hold back because we want that higher lottery percentage."

3. I don't expect us to win a lot of games. But building a winning culture is important. By "winning culture" I mean that you do your best to win and try your best to learn from losing. It is the opposite of just conceding, "Well, we are going to lose anyway." Anyone on the team who don't buy in the winning mentality should not be part of the team's future.

Rocketeer, D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

It's a culture.

If it's not your culture then I'm not sure I can explain it let alone convince you.

Winning mentality is learned.

So is a losing mentality.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Seems there is a false dichotomy presented in this thread.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Focus on development. .....
    Your heart breaks when they leave for the Lakers
    To be a part of a winning culture.

Rocket River.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You don’t win with a bunch of teenagers running around. How many games did the Sonics win in Durants rookie year

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think Minny had a hand in ruining talents like Miles, Wiggins, and to some extent KAT.

It's because they didn't have a culture of winning and coddled their babies to the point where Thibs made them wilt under pressure.

So it's a combination of both. Harden era OKC definitely lucked out with three individual weirdos who had crazy work ethic.

You can definitely teach and preach that but the difference with those who have it internally or don't will come up at the preseason.

If they don't have it, def hold them accountable early rather than maxing their contract out and praying for the best...sucker GM to offload that cluster****.

Easy and D-rock like this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right because San Antonio had a winning mentality when they tanked to get Tim Duncan?

Der Rabbi likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tanking for 1 season is VERY different than tanking for multiple seasons.

Are you not really seeing the difference?