1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we start Alperen Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GOOGOOMECHUCK, Oct 12, 2021.

?

Should we start Sengun?

1. Yes he is ready

2. No, Theis should start

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

On this team, starting spot should be earned.

And Theis has not earned a starting spot.

Sengun has.

Especially compared to Theis.

Regardless, Sengun is best 5.

NewAge, Denovo, GOOGOOMECHUCK and 8 others like this.
  2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

He is best 5, and when Wood or Theis miss significant time it's likely Sengun never again comes off the bench. But for some reason I think it's good to let him get acclimated off the bench similar to how Yao was brought in.

RudyTBag and D-rock like this.
  3. DreamR

DreamR Member

Every time Sengun comes into the game something good happens.

Most of Theis's attempts come from jacking up 3's or long two's that brick off front rim.

Theis was brought here because nobody knew how long it would take Sengun to be good enough to start.

In just a few preseason games he's already shown that it's time to put him in the starting lineup.

AroundTheWorld, Bo6, CXbby and 3 others like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thats right coach!!

D-rock likes this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

they just gave it to Green who is performing way worse.

also what did Theis do exactly to earn the starting spot

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I was ok with signing Theis, but he does not look good. Poor defense and no rebounding. If this continues, I would prefer DJ Wilson. Hopefully it's just him getting adjusted to the Rockets. In any case, Segun should be getting 30 mins a game in the very near future.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Is Green guaranteed a starting spot as a rook?

D-rock likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

but hes a 2nd pick...if he doesnt start he depreciates as an asset and marketing tool... welcome to NBA WWE

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Hopefully theis is only heating up and he needs more stable environment

btw Its Seguin

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Sengun should start not only because he looks good, but also Theis looks bad.

Maybe Theis is saving it for games that count, bit I'm not seeing him as a good compliment to Wood. Dude hasn't been physically imposing defensively or on the boards.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I'd presume starting spots are earned in practice, and a player like Gordon has a long history as an effective 6th man. So there are particular roles that players are best suited for. It's not always the best 5 that should start, but certainly the best 5 should finish.

D-rock likes this.
  12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Probably not guaranteed but reality is a 2nd pick is handled differently than a mid first. Not saying that's right, just a reality.

D-rock likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

A mid first that was projected to be higher, and has looked quite a bit better than the number 2 pick. Small sample size of course.

D-rock and groovemachine like this.
  14. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

You're not wrong, the spot is probably Green's to lose while Sengun's to earn. Regardless, both will be starters soon enough. For now, as long as Sengun is getting 25-30 mpg I don't think it really matters if he starts or not honestly.

Zen Tabak, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Wouldn't be against him starting necessarily but there's definite benefits to coming off the bench. No doubt, he's been really impressive to me but he still is barely 19 years old. He's going through a lot just in terms of life. He'll learn a lot by watching the starters play, gain confidence playing against the second units, and hopefully play well enough to finish the games. This year (and maybe next also?) is all about development and sometimes easing into things is better in the long run

Zen Tabak likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wilson was observed to actually hit a 3 at times.

And he was certainly a better rebounder.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. Sengun

Sengun Member

It doesn't matter if he starts or not. It is unnecessary to discuss this. I prefer him to play more against reserve centers until he's enough physically. I say this as the biggest Sengun fanboy. The real trouble here is the minutes that Silas will give him. If he's going to play 15-20 minutes like in preseason, that will be a serious problem and I'm sure about that, fans will not be happy. He should play for at least 25-30 minutes. Unfortunately, I did not like the team in the preseason. I don't understand what Silas wants to play offensively. The most important parts of Sengun's game are PnR and low post ability, but we have not seen them in any of the games he played in Rockets. So this team doesn't have a plan. I think the main thing to discuss is bigger than Sengun's role.

18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Maybe DJ was deemed too thin to set a pick

Zen Tabak and D-rock like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

looks good like literally or figuratively? From this point forward I think we’ll all have to be more “straight” forward in our posts.

20. MultipleSauces

It’s a long season guys you never know who might be unavailable to play so if you’re down a big you need a solid option ,garuba is our insurance and kmj /Tate can play the 4 for small ball

hakeem94 likes this.