1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Update:Comedy > Politics: Dave Chappelle: unfunny SNL writers jealousy the king is hosting again

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Oct 6, 2021.

?

Who's telling the people the truth?

1. Comedians

24 vote(s)
    96.0%
  2. Politicians

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sorry if you took it as that being directed at you. Didn't mean it that way.

dobro1229 likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t punch down on him !

BossHogg713 likes this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

4. tinman

Supporting Member

The ‘Dear White People’ show runner
    A show about Black Folks
    Is a white trans ?
    Lol
    @Sweet Lou 4 2
    @pgabriel
    @Reeko

#44 tinman, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

6. AkeemTheDreem86

Exactly. Let's remember the true value here and not let some right wing bigots laughing for the wrong reasons trigger us into retreating to our "sides" - because there are no sides. Chappelle is the one with empathy here, not the snowflakes who take their superficial identities so seriously that they actually cause the same damage as the bigots they abhor.

Let's remember what's important: loving human beings. Chappelle doesn't hate the trans community any more than the white community, the Jewish community, the black community, or any other community about which he makes jokes. In fact, you can easily make the argument that to laugh about one group and not the other is actually a sign of bigotry.

Empathy goes both ways.

tinman likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Dave's hypocrisy just rubs me the wrong way. He quit his comedy central show because he saw how mostly just white people laughing at his skits about black culture. He also makes fun of people like Candace Owens and the phenomenon of racist white people finding the few black people who regurgitate their views as a shield for their racism.

It shows a lack of empathy.

dobro1229 likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of people don't get Chapelle. He didn't have a problem with whites laughing at his skits about black culture, he had a problem about people laughing at black culture overall and picking up that they looked down upon it.

If you notice the difference between old Chapelle and new Chapelle - you will see that before he focused mostly on black culture, and now he makes fun of EVERYONE, including blacks. His experiment makes sense as a comedian as he is challenging the idea that comedians can only make fun of their own kind. He makes fun of whites, Jews, gays, trans, etc. And yes there is a lot of commentary that is political in nature.

I see nothing wrong with him pointing out that DaBaby gets canceled for making remarks offensive to the LGBTQ community but not for killing a black man at a Walmart. He's not defending DaBaby, he's attacking hypocrisy.

Anyone who doesn't see that lacks empathy and its ridiculous to call for a canceling of his show.

We're not going to end bigotry by canceling people's shows we disagree with. Call people out - sure. Criticize. Sure. But to say a show should be pulled because its offensive to me is ridiculous and counterproductive.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

And as I pointed out on my DaBaby thread here which these fake outrage people don't get

was it was basically a crass joke , not even a routine,
    it was a variation of
    Crowd Hyping that Hip Hop artist do to get the crowd excited
    - 'All the honeys in the house make some noise, all the fellas in the house make some noise'

instead he went for crass humor
    - ' if you ain't sucking d in the parking lot make some noise .. ' etc

This fake outrage at a concert got completely overblown that he lost some shows and made an 'apology'
    which was fake also

it's the dumb cancel culture of today. Madonna jumped on that train. Like a 60 year old Madonna has nothing to do with the actual DaBaby fans who are in their 20s or teens.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No where did I suggest canceling him. Im just expressing what I find odd here.

I don't know much about the DaBaby situation but wasn't it out of self-defense? Is Chappelle suggesting that there would be outrage if it was a white person DaBaby killed?

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

How do you claim self-defense in a Walmart shopping for produce? Like some 19 year old is going to randomly try to kill your or mug you? He got away with it because there wasn't any witnesses.

Chapelle is just saying why are getting up in a heave because a man insulted a group of people but not because he killed a 19 year old in the produce section? That's it.

Was it wrong for him to insult gays and transgender people? Chapelle said it was. @tinman says he was joking obviously. Who knows, I don't. Madonna has her right to write about what she wants of course. But maybe people should say cancel DaBaby when the worst he did was insult people, or maybe cancel because he shot and killed a 19 year old.

I get what Chapelle is doing. It amazes me how much the press is jumping at him for making jokes at the LGBTQ community but never jumped on him for making fun of blacks.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

One of the rare instances I am in agreement with you.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

I understand that the D&D members HAVE NEVER BEEN TO A RAP CONCERT EVER CAUSE THEY ARE SOFT LILITH FAIR SUCKERS

but THIS RAMBLING AND HYPING WITH CURSE WORDS is NORMAL AT A RAP CONCERT

this is the 'footage' of why he got canceled. Was this really intended toward Gay people? No.

this was part of the 'speech'
    Ladies
    If your P doesn't smell like ..

This may shock the fake outrage Art History Dropouts

14. tinman

Supporting Member

99ers are always right
    @Ziggy

surprised nobody is angry he said the N word!

oh he said the N word at a concert! Oh no!

Where's Maddona to tell the Black Man about the history of the Black Man?

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

New Chapelle kinda swole.

tinman likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Alright, I gotta say, he doesn't sound like he is joking. And looking at what he said afterwards - he never said he was joking. Look maybe he was, but the way he said that is pretty f'd up.

I still don't think canceling him is the way to go. Rather, what happened was great - he engaged with LGBTQ groups, listened intently to many people's story, and admitted he was wrong.

Seems his apology was sincere. And I think people should give him a chance to change and move on.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

That’s just his normal voice
    Why would he ask people to put their cell phones in the air ?
    Obviously a normal thing at a concert
    nobody uses cigarette lighters now

18. AkeemTheDreem86

So in your hypothetical situation where you were trans/gay and walked out of the show; it was OK for you to laugh at the jokes about all those other types of people, but not jokes about yourself? Doesn't that hypothetically make you a hypocrite and a bigot yourself? Doesn't it immediately call into question why you're laughing in the first place?

For the record, this is all academic. I'm not actually calling you a bigot.

19. AkeemTheDreem86

Do you think most people laughing at his trans jokes are laughing because they're transphopic?

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

We all know comedy either via stand up, movies, or jokes with friends. We all have the trigger in our brains when we think and say “that was wrong man.” For me a big tick for that is when I feel like the subject of the joke has no agency in the joke. There needs to be trust between the joke teller and the receiver too.

This seems like a lot of joke rules but we all make these snap judgements subconsciously… that is if you’re someone with a moral compass.

If an LGBT person was watching a comedy show and one of the jokes was from a white comedian with no background in the native American community joking about the trail of tears with native Americans in a distasteful way, I’m sure there would be LGBT people in the crowd that would walk out.

This is all just too over complicated though. We all know subconsciously when a joke punches down and/or is bigoted. To me though the worst thing Chappelle is doing is the b****ing about cancel culture while continuing to push more and more jokes that he knows are getting the “dude that’s not right” response. Chappelle should be above just being a shock jock comedian. He’s too good to need to do that.