1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JayGup Our Backup Point Guard??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Grizzlyshark, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Just seeing what peoples thoughts are on this.

He definitely showed out in pre season games and had an impressive summer league so i think he's done enough to earn a spot on the roster.

My only concern with him though is where? If a Gordon trade comes along he could easily back his mate as a 2 guard, but incase that doesnt happen..

.. what about him handling the ball more and starting to develop more of a passing game?

I saw someone compare his ceiling to Jrue Holiday, and while im not really convinced of that, it got me thinking about using him in a silimar way off the bench.

Augustine has been ah solid.. for our bench unit. But Christopher could really be a spark we could use.

Hell even if we do move Gordon, Josh and Armoni as a 1-2 off the bench makes my heart all warm.

Thoughts?

Williamson and charlieaustin like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i love to watch him play... a lot of potential... need to play both g league and NBA games for the quickest route to becoming a legit player in this league..dont tell me its too much... theyre not logging tall timbers outthere its just a game of basketball

3. xaos

xaos Member

I'm glad we got him and think he can really grow into a solid player, but he gets tunnel vision and doesn't strike me as a guy with a PG mentality

4. fattz

fattz Member

Mixed emotions on this

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's a 2/3.

DrNuegebauer and NewAge like this.
  6. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

He did a decent job during the summer league. Inefficient and too many turnovers but that's to be expected. Chucked up some shots until the final game where he played really well sharing the ball and taking shots when they came to him instead of forcing it. That showed progress. I guess my answer is possibly. It seems like he would be better at PG rather that SG from what I've seen so far. We'll see what he grows in to.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he needs more practice and ingame experience...hes too raw but should be a wonderful player!

i hope he goes to g league and play all games there plus 10-15 minutes a game in nba

charlieaustin likes this.
  8. DreamR

DreamR Member

I had no idea who he was when the Rockets drafted him, and I was pretty unimpressed with his performance in Summer League.

However, his preseason play has been a welcome surprise. I don't think he can sustain that level of play throughout the season though.

As a rookie, he's bound to have lots of ups and downs. Plus we don't know at the moment where on the roster he would fit.

He doesn't have the passing instincts of a true point guard, his natural position is shooting guard (in college), and he's too short to be a SF.

It's best for him and the team to start him off in the G-league. maybe give him some point guard duties to see how he fairs, and then re-evaluate to see if he should be called back up.

Right now I see him as a backup shooting guard scorer off the bench for the Rockets once space is made via trades or otherwise.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We’ll lose 40 in a row

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

This.

Too many 19yr old at one time is not good. Let Josh and Guruba go the G-League and bring them back after the trade deadline

Zen Tabak likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He looks too feminine and stuff

Nook likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

needs to work on his shot . G-league for first 1/4 of the season .

Then bring him up to learn from tate and nwaba on D .. good profile for guarding 2/3.

We need one of kpj or green to get good on D . If we can pair Christopher with tate/nwaba and one of those guys we should have a solid enough D

13. juanming

juanming Member

Start him at sg and send green to the gleague.

Why green gets a free pass but Josh has to goto the gleague is beyond me

Yes Josh has to work on his tunnel vision. That is easy to fix.. green needs to fix everything and I mean everything.

Not fair. Josh is getting the short end of the stick only because he was drafted after green .Not fair.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Josh has a lot of physical ability. He has wonderful size and strength and athleticism. I really like his competitiveness too. He has some serious warts and weaknesses; but I am really curious to see what he becomes.

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

He has more potential than I thought when he was first drafted. Not sure if he is yet ready to take up the backup spot but he has loads of promise.

16. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Sounds like the general consensus is that he has a lot of promise, but xould still use some seasoning in the g league.

I agree with that 100%, just hope that a part of his development is becoming a passing guard.
    He has the physical tools for that Jrue Holiday "mold", just hope this team can help him develop even half of Jrues IQ.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Because the type of development matters. Green needs to learn how to overcome NBA defense. He has already proven he can get anything he wants on offense in the G-League. His challenges are against NBA competition, meaning G-League won't help much. JayGup needs to learn to not have tunnel vision and to have more patience when directing offense. That is much easier to develop and build confidence for in the G-League as the D is inferior. As for fair, who gives a crap about fair. Life's not fair.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

@NewAge What are opinions on this players girly/feminine characteristics?

19. Nook

Nook Member

The worst possible scenario is for Josh to go to the GLeague and score a bunch of points. He needs to work on his shooting, decision making and passing down there.

jch1911 likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think he should spend the first half of the season mostly in the G League working on his PG experience and shooting.

In the second half of the season call him up and let him compete for minutes, only going back to G League to avoid rust.

He’s a good player, his communication on the court is underrated. He has a bit of that young wisdom Sengun has been showing us. Motivates his teammates, pushes them. These are really promising qualities.

If his % on wide open 3’s becomes deadly he’s a starter in this league within 3 years.