1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

EG needs to start at the 2 for now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Oct 12, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

It might be better for Green's development, or at least psyche, going against weaker second unit opponents, rather than getting murdered out there against the best players in the NBA on a nightly basis. If we are going to just throw him into the deep end, he might drown. Give him a floaty, he's not ready.

It would also show the rest of the team accountability, you have to earn your minutes and role, no matter where you got picked. There's other rookies on the team outplaying Green every game, and can't get more than 20 minutes. Would set a bad example of entitlement to start Green.

#41 CXbby, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  2. NewAge

NewAge Member

This! Absolutely!
    Kid is getting mashed, all the talk about being patient and it’s too early is counter-productive pampering. He needs to face it, and man-up. How he answers a demotion is what will make or break him. Not hypersensitive protection.

3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I agree to this. For the neigh sayers just look at it this way. Gordon will is only healthy for about 20 games a season so it isn't like it will cut into Green's development too much.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I don't worry about a guy having a bad game. I'm trying to think about getting KPJ started strong, marketing EG for a trade, and JG having some time to grow into the role.

Plowman and charlieaustin like this.
  5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

or…JG at the 3 (in the positionless NBA of today).

6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

So you agree that it will cut into his development? lol wtf

7. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

This is how Eric Gordon spends most of his days.

Also, the point isn't to win at this point.

Well, lets find out? I suspect at least one of them will be a very good long term starter..... if not, then the Rockets need a new front office and coaching staff.

Brooks and Tate both wanted longer deals and didn't get them. That should tell you something about how the Rockets view them.

Sengun is a nice young player, but fouls too often. Also his passing and basketball IQ is going to be largely wasted with "Roll the Ball Out and Let's Play" Silas as his head coach.

Don't worry though..... there is always the Silas seal of approval for the leadership qualities of Eric Gordon and Danuel House.... there would be Oladipo but he didn't want to let the Rockets over pay him.

8. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

The goal this year is not to win games, otherwise Wall and Gordon would be starting. The goal is to develop our young talent at the cost of winning. Why do you think Stone keeps emphasizing "fun" and all of these other deterrents? We are not going to win this year and that's okay. The best outcome is that our young players grow and see them click together OR worse outcome we get another high draft pick, which is great.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree
    We are already sitting Wall out . We signed Theis . Let’s play some ball .

kpj
    Gordon
    Tate
    Wood
    Theis

can be a strong defensive unit . And maybe nwaba finds a good form and we can ply small .

I hate to break it to everyone, but I strongly think Gordon is a better player than green right now .

If theis and wood suck , or if Gordon gets hurt , or if green is really thriving ... the. You can start him .

but if we are more effective with Gordon and a bench unit in ... or Gordon playing with the starters ... what do you think will damage Green’s confidence more ? Starting and then getting benched ... Or starting off on the Bench and moving into a starting role later ?

We can start him and make the team all about HIM and HIS development... or Silas can start the best 5 and we can try to grow as a Team . Jalen’s talent will eventually shine through

Plowman likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Theis has sucked on defense so far. If you want a better defensive starting five then substitute Segun for Theis. Hell, it will be better offense too. I agree that Green should come off the bench for a while or until we trade Gordan

snowconeman22 and Plowman like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

I think it better balances this current roster; not so much about EG teaching but providing the starting unit some more playmaking. I think EG starting doesn't necessarily mean he is going to get a bunch of minutes.

NewAge likes this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

ELL OH ELL

Dantoni used ALL that tread up. 32 year old 42 year old.

13. DreamR

DreamR Member

It's a long season...there's plenty of time to test both Green with KPJ and Gordon with KPJ and see what produces better results.

However, if Gordon is going to be traded and doesn't have a future with the Rockets, we need to prioritize Green and KPJ building chemistry together.

14. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't know what Green's attitude will be and how he'll handle rough times. Rafael or Silas (can't recall which) said he was highly confident and should be able to handle anything, but easier said than done.

Think Hakeem or MJ or Kobe would have been harmed by getting hammered early in their career?

I'm not sure if it sets an example of entitlement or responsibility. The Rockets picked him at the #2 spot. It's no secret that they're betting the future of the team on him. He already earned the spot - he's worked for years for this, went to the G League, and no one considers him a "project". On the contrary, everyone in the national press is picking him for rookie of the year.

15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Green is a franchise player, he will start. EG has a long track record as an effective 6th man.

16. NewAge

NewAge Member

Interesting point. Dream and MJ started their careers at 21. Kobe started at 18, but he did come off the bench his first two years. So did Harden…

The point is valid, though. All of these players came-in extremely confident, nobody ever wondered about their psyche. According to press Green has the same attitude. I’m a bit doubtful, I’m not seeing that alpha personality, so I think he could get harmed…

What you’re saying, throw him out there, tell him “be a man, let’s see you back-up that big talk" has merit, but also a bigger potential for crash-and-burn if the kid, in fact, doesn’t have it.

17. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

Jalen vs EG is a sure way to further increase the EG haters here in CF LOL. Although starting Gordon over the rookie is unlikely to happen, no doubt EG is a better pro basketball player right now. Many may have baptized jalen as kobe-lite, personally I find this premature because kobe's mentality, work ethic and leadership was outworldly -- to which Jalen still needs to grow into and develop. --- If you don't accept these things now, then youre just a homer.

All these being said, Jalen should be fine. Very few players start their careers setting the league ablaze. Let's leave the kid some time and room to grow.

clos4life, hakeem94 and NewAge like this.
  18. NewAge

NewAge Member

yeah, mamba-mentality was legendary. I remember Kobe his rookie year, he was interesting, but I was skeptic at first. I mean this cocky privileged kid who grew-up in Italy, talking sh|t, jacking up shots… I’m a Jalen skeptic, too, for different reasons, but obviously rooting for him. It will be interesting to see how he progresses.

hakeem94 and crenshaw like this.
  19. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

Yeah, although in this era where teams are easy to give up on young lottery players - i sense jalen will be just fine. He is in a perfect situation where the franchise will be patient with him. He will get scoring numbers for sure, but this year will expose major holes in his game which fans and media are always ready to point out. No doubt he already has the star quality because every game we anticipate special things from him. Hope he lives up to his potential.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he will be just fine, I mean look at Benn Solomon who cant shoot or andrew wiggins who is even more similar to Jalen, still earning 40 mil a year and playing on the best NBA team and is occasionally having 40 pts games, if he were in the east I am sure he would be an alstar already

crenshaw likes this.