1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Mookie Betts? You don't think if Boston still had him that they would be the favorites against us. Do you think LA would have won last year without him?

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't remember that at all. Springer laid an egg last season, and this season. Exit door was written all over him.

4. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

Must be 2 George Springers because 2020 Astros George Springer was awesome.

phasors28 and RKREBORN like this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

Career lows in offense, defense, war, and win probability combined. Not the trajectory u want.

rockbox likes this.
  6. rockbox

Everyone knew Correa was going to get 30+ a season if he showed he could stay healthy and his back wasn't an issue. The only question is was for how long.

My argument is by signing him to an 8-10 year deal, we essentially keep our core together for the next 3 year and stay in contention for 10 straight years. At that point, if we decide to blow it all up and let Bregman, McCullers, and Altuve go, Correa will only be 30 years old and his contract will still be moveable. Even if we don't move him, we will be rebuilding anyway so his contract won't be a hinderance since we won't be close to the luxury tax. Heck, if we give him a PO at the end of 2024, he may decide to leave on his own if the rest of the infield band is gone.

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Elite outfielders are much easier to replace than elite shortstops.

everyday eddie, cmoak1982 and rockbox like this.
  8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

No. Altuve retires an Astro.

King1 likes this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't an abbreviated season where the Astros only played 60 games (along with all that was going on in with the pandemic) skew stats like WAR? I mean, looking at baseball reference stats, Springer had a WAR of 2.2 but that led all position players on the team.

10. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

Over a 162 game season Springer was projected to have career highs in HRs, RBIs, an OPS over .900 and a 7 WAR.

Only thing not on George’s side was his age or he gets $200+ easy

11. rockbox

I hope so too, but I'm not expecting all-star Altuve at that point of his career.

12. rockbox

Yep Boston with it's deep pockets let Mookie go.

We let Springer go, and we got two center fielders that provide enough offense to be above average offensive shortstops.

13. Elienator

Elienator Member

You're pulling up quotes from different conversations and context. At the time the 6/$120MM offer was made, it was not a low ball or "offensive" offer. I also said if I was Carlos, I would have made the same bet as he did and not accept it. Right now I was responding to someone saying he is going to get $400M.

A-Rod saying he's getting a 400M salary is ridiculous and said without any basis in reality. The "GM's don't think that way" was about how post-season performance impacts how front offices value players. They don't value small sample size post-season performance at that much of a premium over regular season performance. Someone said his post-season performance means he should get paid more than Tatis or Trout. He's not going to get paid $40M more than Trout which is what A-Rod said.

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Correa is the heart and soul of the team, particularly with Springer gone. I want to keep him, but it will require making sacrifices later. Either way, we are in good shape, as we have Pedro Leon and Jeremy Pena coming up. Leon was a stud in the Cuban league and should be an above average player from the get-go. Pena has performed very well in the minors, albeit without playing many games over these last 2 years.

Phillies-Tigers-Marlins are the teams I'm keeping an eye on with regard to interest in Correa. Teams that have significant talent but need to create a winning culture.

King1 likes this.
  15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He's had a good year and his defense is the best I've seen it. He can hit. That's not going away

16. King1

ARoid (love that's saved in my phone on auto-correct) is an idiot. We're talking about a guy who has a painting of himself in his house.

Correa will get paid and my guess is its going to be here. No state income tax helps a lot. Plus Danielle has warmed up to the idea of Houston

17. rockbox

We are talking 4 years from now. 2025 is when a new contract would kick in when he will be 35 years old. I think he will lose power by then since he's not a naturally power hitter for obvious reasons. His contact rate is already declining though it may be because he's looking to hit more homeruns.

18. King1

He'll lose power and you're spot on that he swings for the fences at the moment. I think he can adjust and still be productive. I want him to retire an Astro.

Honestly (provided we resign Los) I'd be open to exploring trade options for Bregman. He's on a good contract and would net a nice return

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Pay Correa the 10/300 it will take. Deal for front line SP with a package frontlined by pena or Leon. Blow the doors off for the next three years. What happens after that is not in sight right now. This is the golden era of Houston sports. This squad has to be given the chance to chase history. It’s pretty simple. Time to be a wartime owner and GM. Lay waste to the league. Make sure they remember this team forever.

20. rockbox

Tuve isn't going anywhere. We will give him 10 million bucks a year to ride out his career. Just don't expect all-star Tuve. I wouldn't be surprised if he does prove everyone wrong but I wouldn't build a team with that expectation.

King1 likes this.