1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This isn't true, his G league team was slightly above average. They went 8-7 and made the playoffs. It's not like he was putting up those stats on the g-league version of a lottery team.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Seems almost like there are certain opinions you are allowed to have, and others you aren't. Weird.

NewAge likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

But why are we comparing him to rookies like Ja and Luka? Green was never advertised as a point guard or a scoring point guard?

Also "franchise altering player" is a pretty vague. Green was always a scorer who would need to work on playmaking for others.

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

There we go, another one.
    I thought that the smiley face would be enough indication that this was done in jest.
    For the record: I am neither progressive, not intolerant, nor "little incel"...
    But keep up with the name-calling if that's a diversion for you...

5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Green is a prime time scorer and a very good shooter as well. However we cannot depend on him being our 1st or 2nd option! If he is our 3rd option and just shoot and score and not made into a playmaker right now...he will be fine and should score18 points a game...55% FG, 41% 3's and 85 FTs...we are putting too much pressure on him let him concentrate on defense, shooting and scoring.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Every top 3 pick ever is described as a franchise altering player before they are drafted, its just koolaid.

If you chose to drink it it's your own problem. Any sane person before the draft knows none of the top 5 pick would be like Luka in their first season or ever.

It's hard to know with these picks, I remember Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo, jabari Parker, Wiggins etc.

7. harold bingo

Supporting Member

I'm comparing him to recent draft picks who appear to be franchise altering players. I'm pointing to players who came into the league in their first year and impressed, because others in this thread are acting like that's an unrealistic expectation for a franchise altering #2 overall pick. It shouldn't be unrealistic. If you have an issue with the position of the players I chose, how about D Wade averaging 16 points on 47% shooting, or Brandon Roy with 17 points on 46% shooting.

fryjol7 likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So, I am going to go with 13ppg, 2Apg, 38%FG, 29%3pt......

If he were a backup to EGo I think he would be more efficient, and less points, but I think we are going to ride or die with him and KPJ and it is going to be VERY ugly this year.

WAY worse than last year.

DD

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Common sense?

[​IMG]

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Yeah, because that's how y'all do it right? You start by throwing out aspersions on somebody (in this case Jalen, calling him feminine and casting aspersions based on an outfit of all things) then when you get called out on your bullshit you backtrack and try and flip the script and cry like a little b**** as if you're the targeted one. You couldn't be a bigger cliche if you tried.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Uh, it doesn't really get much worse than "worst record in the league"

dmoneybangbang and Verbal Christ like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

I just think loosely throwing out "franchise altering players" can lead to some unrealistic expectations. I think it's unrealistic to expect Green to play like Ja and Luka as they are very different players.

I think the bolded is more realistic since the games are more similar. Or even Bradley Beal since they are built more similarly than Green is to Wade.

Lastly, the 2021 may turn out to be a mediocre draft where there is not even a Ja level talent.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. harold bingo

Supporting Member

You're missing my point if you think I expect Green to play like Ja or Luka. I don't want him to play like either of those players, nor do I expect him to. As I said, I am just using them as examples of players who came in and made an impact in their first year. He can do the Jalen Green version of that, the "shooting guard" version of that. I don't think he's going to have 7 or 8 assists per game.

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I agree if the expectations were playoffs... But since it's not and shouldn't for anyone outside of Toyota Center personnel , start Green and let him learn on the fly... He's no different than anyone else on the roster

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

LOL

U actually think Jalen Green could produce 55/41/85 shooting splits? What is going on with this board these days? The nonsense is off the charts

charlieaustin likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

You don't expect Green to play like them but want to bring them up as players who came in and made a certain level of impact in their first year? I think the SG version of Ja and Luka first year impact is someone like Wade..... So a HOF player. Pure scorers just don't impact the game as much as point guards unless they are HOF level.

It just seems unrealistic to expect that from Green.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think he will average a decent amount of points on subpar effiency to go along with bad defense and bad assist-turnover ratio as a rookie

the scoring and efficiency will improve with time, and I’ll wait to see how much his defense and playmaking end up improving over the course of his career

Y2JT and sydmill like this.
  18. sydmill

sydmill Member

I am now Team Green but I was always leary of the expectations placed upon Jalen to be a Kobe or an MJ. The biggest problem is that most of prior MJ comps were, even at the time, obviously hyperbole (as in every 6'5''/6'6'' athletic 2 was comped to MJ even when they were obviously not as skilled) With Green people really thought he was going to be the GOAT day 1. I hope, for his sake, that expectations are tempered. He still can be, and I think will be, a very good player. But people do need to start thinking Zach Lavine or Bradley Beal and not Kobe or MJ.

19. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Good luck. Ppl here think Ben Simmons is a better defensive player than Hakeem.

20. sydmill

sydmill Member

To add to the context of the discussion, the rookie years of 19/20 year old shooting guards in recent years:

Bradley Beal (19) 2012/2013: 14 pts, 4 boards and 2 assists on 41% shooting (39% from 3)
    Zach Lavine (19) 2014/2015: 10 pts, 2 boards and 4 assists on 42% shooting (34% from 3)
    Devin Booker (19) 2015/2016: 14 pts, 3 boards and 3 assists on 42% shooting (34% from 3)
    Jaylen Brown (20) 2016/2017: 7 pts, 3 boards and 1 assist on 45% shooting (34% from 3)
    Anthony Edwards (19) 2020/2021: 19 pts, 5 boards and 3 assists on 42% shooting (33% from 3)

xaos and Dobbizzle like this.