1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Should probably trade him tomorrow, that's what you are getting at right?

2. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Green seriously needs to live in the weight room.

3. MystikArkitect

Green looks like Suggs, Barnes and Mobley. Flashes but rough overall. They're all going to be fine just need to adjust to the speed and size of the game. Green won't bust but his outlook is up to him studying tape and seeing how teams are playing him.

Positives:

First step is there and it's lethal. Needs to go to it more.
    His jumper is still wet when he is in *rhythm*.
    He's trying to pass and make the right plays. Noticed this more vs Toronto.
    His footwork is advanced for his age.
    He is active defensively. Much more than Harden was. He just needs size and to study film.

Negatives:

Jacks up too many 3s.
    Too small to be an impact defender.
    Forces passes that aren't there.
    Doesn't really have chemistry with anyone on the team yet.
    Generally is just pressing. The game is too fast for him right now. Needs to settle down.

I think Green after the ASB will look very different. The ones I'm much more disappointed in is KPJ who looks *really* bad as a PG and Wood who looks really bad as a basketball player.

I think John Wall as PG and KPJ off the bench will be better for everyone's development. KPJ cannot facilitate this offense yet.

4. i3artow i3aller

Iverson was also 21 years old when he entered the league whereas Jalen's 19. As for Morant he just so happens to be one of Green's closest friends and confidants. Not a bad mentor for our young rook to have in his corner as he embarks upon his NBA journey.

For some odd reason a bunch of Debbie Downers in here have been after this kid since before he ever arrived. Since then he's been unfairly scrutinized for damn near anything and everything he's done both on and off the court. Hell we have posters already wishing to include him in Socialite Benji trades or calling him a bust before he even plays his first regular season game. Quite frankly it's absurd. I've been away from CF for a while, but I certainly don't recall this mecca having so many colossal idiots running amok.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Giddey has looked amazing, most of his great passes haven't even led to assists because okc is so bad. In hindsight, 6'9 elite passer/playmaker, dude's comp is magic Johnson. I admit I missed it, but fully on board now.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Yep, its like this contingent expects him to be this polished player. VERY few rookies look like world-beaters right out of the gate.

7. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

My expectations is that he gets better after a full season and stays healthy. The talent is there…. Just needs patience and maturity.

majicdonjuan and Verbal Christ like this.
  8. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

The casuals are just bored. Real fans have vision.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'm not disappointed in Green, but then again I never had the expectations of a franchise altering allstar, I was just hoping he's not a bust, which is still way too early to tell. All the weaknesses he's shown so far were written about at length, so really should not be a surprise. It's aways been about if he can grow and develop into something he isn't yet, that's the bet.

With that said, those saying anyone being critical doesn't know what a rebuild or rookies are, can you explain why Sengun looks so freaking good then? He's also a rookie, and younger than Green last I checked.

Crashlanded19 and NewAge like this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

This would sound a lot better if Sengun wasn't his teammate.

Y2JT likes this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sengun played in a man's league. He's been a professional for years. Physicality is nothing new to him plus he has the frame to take the rigors of the NBA on top of the high bball IQ he's developed playing alongside other professionals.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. Monkeychef02

Monkeychef02 Member

Do you think we are competing this year, or even next year? He has a few seasons…

13. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Sengun's played professionally in the world's 3rd or 4th best league for three years prior to this. Think about how we saw Luka Doncic come in far more advanced than his peers - its for the same reason. Guys like Sengun and Luka have been playing (and to some extent dominating) grown men for years.

Does that mean Sengun will be the better player for the Rockets when its all said and done when compared to Green? It's possible, but what I 100% know is that it won't have a thing to do with the player they both are right now at 19. One year of G-League is nothing compared to three years in Europe.

Green's talent is undeniable - let's just give him time to grow into his body and his game. His floor is All-Star, but it will take time.

14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Sengun's also played professional basketball since 2018. There's a huge experience difference between Sengun and the rest of our rookies. They're adjusting to playing with adults, he's adjusting to playing with better athletes. There's a big difference in those 2 scenarios.

berkowsk and Verbal Christ like this.
  15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Does that mean every player coming from Europe would look good? Did Luka Samanic not play in a man's league? He just got cut by Pop.

Y2JT and NewAge like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Of course not - you have to be blessed with the talent to begin with. Are you comparing Luka Samanic (whoever that is) to a guy who was the MVP of the Turkish league(Sengun)?

BonziWellsGOAT and TriumVirate like this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

I agree mostly. Aside from Cunningham, I didn't really predict/expect a franchise cornerstone after that. I am a little disappointed by Green's handles as he really gets ahead of himself, which I knew was an issue. Sengun has been playing professional ball for a few years now and the difference in experience is clear.

Time will tell with Green.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Luka Doncic came in looking far more advanced than his peers because he's a generational talent, not because of anything else.

Yall act like European prospects aren't littered with busts, why didn't the man's league help them?

Y2JT likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Ok, now we agree. Sengun is just that good. Put Green in the Turkish league for a year wouldn't make a difference. (People said the g league should better prepare him already)

NewAge and Verbal Christ like this.
  20. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

He's a generational talent BECAUSE he's been playing professionally since he was like 12.

Surely you don't believe he would have come into the league that advanced if he simply went to high school and did a year at Random State University, do you?

Verbal Christ likes this.