1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

It’s possible the 20ppg with efficient shooting and solid facilitating might be a poor expectation for a 19 year old.

For reference, Kobe Bryant was 19 in his second season. He scored 15 points on .428 fg%, .341 3P% and 2.5/2.0 A/TO ratio.

And he turned out to be a damn fine basketball player and a fairly accomplished rapist.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Harden was dropping over 30 before he left. Seems reasonable that Green just picks up where he left off. But more dunks.

3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It's his first season, I'm not expecting miracles tbh. I've seen people actually comparing him to Harden like "he's no James Harden" as if Harden even was in his first year putting up 10 ppg. It takes time to become a top guy on a team or in the league. Steph Curry wasn't a superstar his first few years either. All I'm expecting is notable progression from where he is now to where he is at the end of the season. As long as he shows growth, I'm happy. Preseason is definitely way too early to start declaring the kid's entire future as set in stone.

4. Rockets4Life13

Some of y’all are so delusional and lack basic knowledge of how Rookies usually come into the league that it’s not even worth arguing about. That’s what years and years of staying competitive did to you, you never even had the chance to see how Rookies work.

newsflash: Rookies very very rarely ever contribute any positive impact to the team in their first year(s). This is the reason guys like Melton and Brooks, that all of you just love to bring up all the time, were given away for nothing during the time we were trying to win a championship.

The fact that we have people here who think 3 preseason games are enough to declare Green a bust would be comical if it wasn’t so sad.

get a grip.

5. NewAge

NewAge Member

you need to define "worried" and "fine"
    Is it "I’m not worried that he’ll be a total bust”? And “yeah, he’ll be fine as the next Clarkson"?

I was actually worried even before the preseason: the guy is just too girly, too ditzy, too Hollywood… I seen zero dog in this guy. Even if he’s a complete bust on Kwame Brown level, he’ll still make enough money to start a fashion brand or whatever his true passion is, if it is not hoops. So far I don’t see a serious baller… The bust potential is definitely there.

Y2JT likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

people really expose themselves as nothing more than casual fans

these are the ones who overhype freaking SL…no doubt many of the ones crying about Jalen Green now were on his nuts when he was balling down in Vegas

these are also the ones who start overreacting based off preseason rookie play

Jalen Green’s non-delusional outcomes have always been Bradley Beal, Zach Lavine etc. These dudes weren’t even good until about year 4.

casual fans get on my nerves

xaos, javal_lon, TriumVirate and 8 others like this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’ve been on the start Green train for awhile. I’m starting to think KPJ and Green trying to develop together may be problematic. I think KPJ is ready to break out now and having Gordan or even Brooks as his shooting guard for a while might help in his development. Green could come off the bench and be the focus of the offense not necessarily as the PG, but with the ball in his hands more often than if he is starting with KPJ. Green can still get 25-30 mins a game in the bench role so the argument that he needs to be playing to develop is moot. By mid-year Green should have it figured out and when Gordan is traded or hurt, he can move in next to KPJ and Christopher can take his role on the bench.

Y2JT, BallaDoc and NewAge like this.
  8. NewAge

NewAge Member

sengun is younger than Green, too

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The receipts Im going to pull out in a year or two are going to be exquisite! MUAH! The most vocal detractors will easily just say "welp glad I was wrong har har" and move on as if they were always onboard.

Jalen will struggle. He still needs to fill out and get used to the physicality of the NBA on a daily basis. I'd be happy if he produced an efficient 15ppg while adding rebounding and some playmaking. Tighten up the turnovers and in a few years he should have everything a winning team needs from a primary option. Yet there still remains a love fest for Mobley here who's team is getting waxed just as bad as the ROX and the injured Cunningham - all after a handful of meaningless games. Talk about casual! SMH.

[​IMG]

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Greens biggest problem right now is his size. He looks like a child out there which he is. 10-15lbs heavier is going to make a big difference. The explosiveness is obvious, there’s no way he busts.

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

the smaller you are the more dog you need in you. Iverson was small but a maniac. Ja Morant is a dog. If this kid doesn’t show some serious tenacity and passion, I’m not sure just getting beat-up like a puppy while waiting to fill-out will work out for him…

12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Rookies that are proclaimed as franchise altering, tend to have a bit more substance to them.

NewAge likes this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Its been 3 games.

14. NewAge

NewAge Member

I know, but he won’t fill out for at least a few more years… What’s the plan till then?

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

To be clear I don’t think his current size is going to keep him from being productive, it’s just keeping him from being what he’ll end up being. He will flash brilliance now and then. The plan should be to teach these guys how to play professional basketball. We’ll see if Silas is up to the task.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's obvious to me that people here really have never witnessed a true rebuild, and rookies before. There's still delusion here too that he is somehow going to average 20+ PPG THIS YEAR. Happy to eat crow on that of course, but I don't think people realize how hard it will be for this team to score points against NBA defenses. Green and KPJ have been getting shut down and forced into taking step back 3's by Miami and Toronto's B team. What's it going to be line in the regular season when he's going up against guys like Giannis or Lebron?

I think the play will improve a little bit with the chemistry getting better, but man... it's going to be a long season that's for sure. The best thing Green & co. can do for themselves is really get after it on defense to try and then get easier buckets pushing the ball off of turnovers. Some of the younger teams in years I remember have been very fun to watch in those type of bad teams that still play hard.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Pick up more foundational pieces to hopefully build a dynasty? Mind boggling stuff I know, but who really thought this team would be competitive this year???

I did!! Im ok with being wrong and dont have some psychotic need to be right about every prognostication and opinion in my life. Just going with the flow and enjoying the process.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

As I was reading this thread the sentence in my head that developed was, “negative presumptions dweebs.” I haven’t used the word dweeb in a long time. But I just picture an out of shape loser saying Green looks girlish and will probably suck. Also the poster that said we should have Giddy and Sengun because they are the most ready. Maybe that poster thinks the Rockets should only have Europeans lll who knows.

Sigh

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Preach!! I actually heard my kid use the word "SYKE" the other day and I did a look back like "whaaaat" LOL so Im bringing back all the old vernacular. "tubular, RAD, b****in'" lets keep it going! By the way that same son of mine was wearing a Death Row Records shirt and I asked him which rapper he liked from the label and he looked lost LOLLL

The 90s ruled!!

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  20. sydmill

sydmill Member

As a guy who really wanted Mobley, I was late getting on board the Green train. If you guys were expecting Green to come out and play like vintage Kobe then you were always going to be in for disappointment. Green's season is much more likely to be about surviving and learning than it is dominating. 12-14 ppg on mid to upper 40% shooting is all that I am looking for. Give him a season or 2 and maybe he will be that guy from the summer league when he is playing real NBA players. Until then be patient and enjoy watching him grow into that guy.