1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Have you read the 1983 editorial by Fauci where he supposedly asserted that normal social contact in the outside world will spread AIDS? The editorial linked appears to be behind a paywall. My experience, over and over, leads me not to trust in the faithful interpretation/reading of people with clear political agendas.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If anything, the CDC was slow to accept two things (there are many others including botched testing, lack of cheap easy test):
    1- SARS-CoV-2 is airborne.
    2- Mass scale masking help reduce transmission.

We could have avoided the huge spikes in cases if we had acknowledged both much earlier and recommended policies around them. We were NOT cautious enough and acted too slow.

Today, the story is a lot simpler. We have very safe and very effective vaccines. It is our cheapest and best tool to live with this virus. Soon, hopefully, we have effective widely available affordable antiviral for breakthrough cases and we can move on as indeed it's just a regular thing.

Ultimately, in the time of a new health crisis, there will be mistakes made, predictions that went wrong, and changes in opinion and policies. I think we should always err on the side of caution early on when we don't know much then calibrate as we learn. What we shouldn't do is ever play politics with health, ignore the facts and stay stubborn to original ideas no matter what.

Ottomaton, FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. edwardc

edwardc Member

6. Possum

Possum Member

Never said it did d******d

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

8. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Southwest had a better day today, but still not 'normal'. My wife had to take a SWA flight out of Hobby this afternoon and luckily it went without a hitch.

According to FlightAware, SWA had 10% cancelled and 39% delayed flight today. Yesterday was 30% cancelled and 33% delayed.

By comparison, United is 1% cancelled and 12% delayed today. American is 2% and 18%. Delta is 0% and 8%.

I don't know what the cause of these issues are, but I don't think it's likely to be to be weather related since it would have impacted other airlines too.

That said, I think it'll normalize very soon. If this is covid mandate related walk-out, SWA will move staff around and cancel flights if necessary. People will go back to work once they realize the company is not going to flinch. From all the mandates we've seen implemented, only a very small percentage people is willing to lose their job instead of taking the vaccine.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. TheresTheDagger

I pray for everyone's sake this is NOT the case.

I got the vaccine, stand by the decision but do not believe in mandates.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Tight operation margin with bad weather in FL + traffic control issue lead to the cascading effect. Similar things happen with Spirit Airline in Aug.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-airlines-cancellations-causes/

The confusion in initial messaging, coupled with Southwest’s looming compliance with the federal vaccination mandate, led to a rash of rumors that pilots and others — including air traffic controllers — were staging a walkout in protest of vaccine requirements, with politicians quickly jumping onto the narrative.

Southwest did not return multiple requests for additional comment on Monday.

Sources at both Southwest and air traffic control denied to TPG that there was a walk-out or other labor action, despite some employees vocally opposing the ban and threatening job actions (airline worker strikes are prohibited under the Railway Labor Act).

Still, rumors of a walk-out continued to spread. According to Brooke Binkowski, managing editor of TruthOrFiction.com, a website that debunks deliberate disinformation, the way the rumors continued to spread had the hallmarks of a standard disinformation campaign.

“You can always tell the mechanism of these campaigns because you start seeing swarms of these previously anonymous accounts clustering around journalists, and other high-profile Twitter users, trying to distract and stoke anger around hot button topics,” Binkowski said, noting that she has seen that type of activity surrounding the flight delays.

“There are different types of distraction campaigns, like ‘firehosing,’ or just changing the subject, or ‘I know you are but what am I,’ and the goal is always to move things to make it exclusively about another topic,” she added.

No Worries and jchu14 like this.
  12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Give me a break. People do not even know what's in their hamburger. I am more likely to get and die cancer from my cell phone than the vaccine.

The air is poisoned. The water is poisoned. The earth is poisoned. Yet somehow a vaccine that has saved countless lives already is the deal breaker for the evangelical and new age crowds?

13. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Is this sheit real or made up? Why is not one commenting about it? I haven't checked to see if this is some attempt at humor or like an onion piece or something. I definitely hope so though.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Was not worth commenting on. She also claims that vaccines will 'hook us all up to an AI interface'.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People who foolishly refuse to take the vaccine isn't reason to support not mandating the vaccine.

It's been tested and at this point the sample size is incredibly huge. The vaccine is safe, effective, and continues to be a great weapon against the virus. I'm glad that the people you know were LUCKY enough to not have serious effects from Covid-19. Sadly some of the people that I know weren't as lucky.

I know others that have had it and didn't have severe side effects.

I also know people who have survived cancer. That doesn't mean it isn't serious.

None of these other drugs being touted by some have been tested with the large sample size as the vaccine.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wait.....so you have proof that shes lying???

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Natural immunity has.

Possum likes this.
  18. TheresTheDagger

I don't pretend to know all the reasons people have for not wanting the vaccines. Some are serious. Others not. I just know once you successfully force people to do things against their will, ESPECIALLY when it deals with their health we've crossed a line and set a precedent. Imagine Trump having that precedent as President. What would you say to a mandate from him?

Possum likes this.
  19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump was still president when I was vaccinated.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't like mandate but I recognize it as a societal responsibility and accepted the risk of it. The precedent is for vaccines mandate. It has been standard practice.

[​IMG]

No Worries likes this.