1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Buck Turgidson

Easy now, I'm still in recovery mode.

#4981 Buck Turgidson, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  2. Buck Turgidson

That's what everybody said when Johnny Football beat them a few years ago

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What I meant was Ricky put UT back on the map with his Heisman along with team success. Which then all of the big recruits started to come in. Both of those guys if I remember were number one in the nation. Culminating with V Young etc

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Ricky sure helped get Mackovic in/out the door and Mack in. The rest is history.

peleincubus likes this.
  5. TheresTheDagger

This feels different though. That game (as great as it was) was literally won by 1 player....probably the best player who ever played for TAMU.

Tonight, they won with a backup QB and freshman offensive linemen and the defense is the best they've had in 20+ years (IMHO). This was a team win. Also, that was only 5 years into Saban domination. This is 9 years and 4 National Championships later. Alabama's program has achieved almost mythical status now.

And nobody would mistake Sumlin for Jimbo.

I feel like it's one more huge stepping stone for the program.

6. TheresTheDagger

7. TheresTheDagger

8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Anything that looks bad for shitface obrien is good with me. Still have no idea who hijacked Zach Calzada's body, but props. Reminds me of the Disney series, The Jersey. That sure as hell wasn't Zach Calzada out there.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think the program has come a long way since then. Better across the board. On field & off. Except QB where we went from 3 NFL guys at the same time under Sumlin to walk ons, lulz.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've been saying TAMU isn't bad all year. Just a terrible QB. But still... it's as if a genie granted someone a wish. Nothing made sense to me except the home crowd bringing it.

BOB effect I guess. Lulzt.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

It WAS a big win for the program then. Got the new stadium, helped with recruiting, etc. But Sumlin let it all go to heck.

But, to what I think is your point, yes, doesn't mean much overall if they don't capitalize on it. Need to close out this year with no losses, which didn't look likely before Saturday. Now, it might. Play like that, they can beat anybody else on their schedule. Of course, they have to continue playing like that.

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Been more than just the QB. Line couldn't block anyone, even New Mexico. They made some adjustments for Arkansas and Ole Miss (tightened the gaps), but not sure how the guys who couldn't block New Mexico were suddenly pushing Alabama around. Fisher and the rest of the coaches did a helluva coaching job all week. Not just in coaching 'em up, but in getting them ready to play. They were confident, focused, aggressive...all the things there weren't in the previous games.

The line play in turn didn't give Calzada any confidence. Not totally on the line, but that didn't help. He didn't feel comfortable in the pocket. Again, great coaching, getting him confident for this game. Completely different QB.

As I saw posted somewhere else: Aggies scored 10 against Arkansas, 10 against Ole Miss, and ... 41 against Alabama?

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I would love to hear the real inside story on what went down there. I don't think anything like that has ever happened. A testament to how messed up things got there.

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Ya, that must have been tough to watch. Not gonna gloat...been there, and it sucks.

Be interesting to see how they bounce back. Came back good after Arkansas game.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

What.the.**** :D

Duncan McDonuts, Uprising and Kim like this.
  17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wrong thread

18. Buck Turgidson

Wrong school.

;)

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ruit-2022-class-defensive-tackle-walter-nolen

LFG!

TheresTheDagger and Ziggy like this.
  20. TheresTheDagger

TAMU unbelievably still has an outside chance at the conference championship game.

Should Alabama stumble (came OH so close yesterday vs. LSU) like say to Auburn in the Iron Bowl and TAMU wins out....they would win the SEC West. The Aggies remaining schedule is @ #16 Ole Miss, Prairie View, and @ LSU, three very winable games. It's an outside shot, but considering where they were 1 month ago heading into the Alabama game it's amazing to think.

Such a bizarre season. Losing vs. Arkansas and Mississippi State should have completely shut down their hopes.

And picking up the #1 recruit in the nation is always a nice thing too!

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.