1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jaygup Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Oct 9, 2021.

?

Does Josh Christopher crack the regular season rotation this year?

1. Yes, by game 41

88 vote(s)
    69.3%
  2. Yes, last month of the season

26 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. No, RGV all year

13 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Delusional Sengun fan, It will b Armoni Brooks’ sniping from long range at an incredible clip who will lead our Rockets to greatness. He will go down as the greatest shooter to ever touch a ball, rifle, billiards cue or do a 1,2,3 shoot on paper rock scissors shoot contest. His jock will be hanging in the rafters when he retires.

3. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Look, I really like him but you said it yourself.. his problem is with decision making.

So why wouldn't you want him the RGV allowing him to make 100s of mistakes with no pressure? That seems like the only logical arrangement to me. Give him tons and tons of minutes being "the man" and letting him develop rather than 0-15 random odd minutes he would get on the NBA roster.

Hopefully by the deadline some of our deadweight is shipped off and we can recall him then.

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Delusional Brooks fan. It will be Garuba as Draymond-on-steroids who will lead us to the promise land. Soon, he’s going to block every attempted shot and nail every transition 3. Expect the Rockets to notch the first 82-0 season within 3 years under his smothering D and non-stop 3s.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes. That's who I would have drafted

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is gonna sound crazy but I think Jaygup may have higher ceiling than Jaylen Green. His shot isnt as pure as Green's and he isnt as athletic but he has a football player type of body and he is extremely agressive on both ends of the court. If he bulks up a little more he can be our full time SF IMO.

I wasnt that on board with the pick before but I am now. Has Jaygup even had a bad game yet? I'm not sure but it cant be more than 1 or 2.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bones is redundant with KPJ and Green. Jaygup fits better as a big guard who can slide to the SF like EG.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't think this sounds crazy AT ALL.

Also, I'll add that if Josh Christopher doesn't start then not only should Silas be fired, but they should hire Bun B, Slim Thug and Paul Wall to write a Silas dis track. Then he should be permanently exiled from the City of Houston and the County of Harris.

Jontro likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont think he should start, he fits perfectly as a 6th man he can be the heir apparent to EG for now IMO.

Jaygup has a lot of potential but he is lacking in terms of maturity and game sense, that's something KPJ and Green have over him RN cuz those two already experienced higher level competition in GLeague and in KPJ's case, he actually played in the NBA already.

jcmoon and majicdonjuan like this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Actually Jaygup is the carbon copy and redundant one, doing much the same of what
    we (Rockets) will be asking of Green/Porter Jr. to perform. Facilitate, score, kick out pass.

Bones is a true defender who can guard 1-3.......consistent 3 spot up shooter. 3 & D vs guards
    and SF's when you consider SG's are being moved to SF and SF's are being moved to PF.

I'm told Josh can guard. I reserve judgement until I see it against 1st & 2nd stringers consistently.
    He did a poor job on defense in the 15 games in college. Watching him closely now
    and not going strictly off summer league comp.

I'm also reserving judgement on Green as well. Who also only played 15 games (with Ignite).

Same thing goes for Jaygup's shooting 3's (consistency). Not just 3 out of 4 in one preseason game.

#30 ApacheWarrior, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Jontro likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

How can bones guard 1-3 when he is 6'2 without shoes and only 169 pounds? Jaygup is 214 pounds and an inch taller, he is a big boy he can go against the smaller SFs.

I like how you say you reserve judgement for Jaygup until you see him play against comp better than SL when Bones is literally the same. Sp with Jaygup you need to see more but with Bones you've seen enough? You want consistency from Jaygup but what was Bones' shooting prior to his last one? 1-5 and 1-6 right? How's that for consistency?

LOL cmon leave your bias outta the door.

KPJ and Green will both be asked to lead the offense, where jayGup has a niche is in terms of being a off the ball threat, defense and attacking the rim. KPJ and Green can't bang bodies like Jaygup does because they aren't as big. They may be taller but they don't have his wide body he is a lot like Anthony Edwards or Eric Gordon he has a lot of mass.

Bones is the exact copy of KPJ and Green he is an athletic but extremely thin scorer. He seems like a better shooter than KPJ and Green with deeper range but the other two are just more athletic and a lot taller than him. Bones is stritcly a pg unless he grows a couple more inches he is too short to be an SG and definitely can't be a SF.

Prior to the draft I had JC very low, definitely among the bottom tier among the freshman guard prospects below guys like Springer, Bones, Primo etc But seeing his work ethic now and his new found discipline in terms of refining his shot and defense then I def think Jaygup is a superior prospect to Bones. He is just more versatile, and in a 1 on 1 Jaygup can def out physical Bones, suffocate him on defense, beat him on rebounds and just shut him down. That's what having 44 more pounds does to you.

#31 roslolian, Oct 9, 2021
    clutchdabear, cheke64, Nook and 3 others like this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Here I will let you read about him

https://www.midmajormadness.com/202...ard-scoring-threat-a10-conference-first-round

Their measurements are about the same.
    Hyland 6'3" plus in shoes Jaygup 6'4" plus in shoes.
    Hyland vertical 34" to Jaygup 37"
    Hyland wingspan 6'9.25" to Jaygup 6'9".25"

Weight is not always the best guage for defense. Avery Bradley has always been
    a great defender at 6'3" that can guard 1-3. Hyland is in that mold. Hyland may
    need help defensively vs post ups but holds his own out on the perimeter. Christopher
    might be able to hold his own vs post ups but needs help on the perimeter.

League is less guard defense in post ups than a need for good perimeter defenders.
    Good basketball I.Q. on defense can mean just moving the feet and taking a charge.

Mental lapses is the bigger mark im looking at. Hyland is/was always focused....Josh
    was known for taking defensive plays off. Thinking in advance of the next offensive
    possession? Cam Thomas was also criticized in the same manner. Cam would have
    been another carbon copy of Josh Christopher and Porter Jr and Green offensively.

Jaygup has to prove he can be engaged more often defensively for me to change my stance.
    Kawme Brown had the body of a Greek god.......but what good did that do if Kawme didn't
    want to apply himself.

#32 ApacheWarrior, Oct 9, 2021
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why bother with that go with the official draft combine stats. Don't use 2nd hand material go to the official source.
    https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/

You aren't really saying anything that I didn't say already. Jaygup is an inch taller and has 40 pounds on Bones. Taking a charge when you are paper thin you think Giannis will give a F about a 169 body standing in his way? Moving the feet and taking the charge when you are paper thin you will just be called for blocking and the opponent will finish with an And 1. Being a small forward involves more than defense it also includes grabbing rebounds and making scrappy plays, Bones just gonna get bumped around like Mobley except Mobley is 7 ft and Bones is 6'2.

I haven't watched a lot of Avery Bradley all I know is he is always injured and never really been a contributor to a championship team. Nobody mentions him when talking about the best perimeter defenders they mention Tucker, Ariza, Simmons, Thybulle etc Avery Bradley gets mentioned as good defender but nobody I know has said he is a GREAT defender. Saying Bones can hold his own on defense just because Bradley can defend guys as a 6'0 guard I mean that's the definition of wait and see. You made all that hullaballoo about JC proving himself so Bones should prove first that can guard forwards with 169 pound and 6'2 frame before you make these claims. Let's see him lock down Tate or Kmart Jr first then I can believe he can guard guys 1-3. As per Bradley's latest comment he is 180 pounds which is guess what sill 11 pounds heavier than Bones. Bones is like his name he is just a pile of bones right now.

I don't understand why do you think Jaygup need help on the perimeter? He is a guard same as Hyland. Difference is Jaygup can run around on the perimeter and STILL bang bodies in the paint. Hyland is rail thin he can guard on the perimeter but he cant' do anything vs guys driving to the rim. JC had faster lane agility than Jaden Springer do you think Springer is too slow to guard guys on the perimeter?

#33 roslolian, Oct 9, 2021
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

We disagree.

I feel Hyland is much quicker, smarter and more consistent defensively than
    Christopher will be. Which is something that compliments Porter/Green
    to a greater extent.

Good day

DeBeards and roslolian like this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I really only give smarter to Bones. He is also the superior shooter with logo range, that's something nobody among our 3 guards have.

However to complement Porter/Green you need to play SF as Porter and Green are the starter pg and sg. That's really the bottom line IMO.

16. NewAge

NewAge Member

I’d say higher floor, on the account that he already has an NBA body. I can clearly see a solid NBA player, given his positive attitude.
    With Jalen, I am not sure what I’m looking at…

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He needs a lot of playing time, I wouldn’t mind him getting big minutes in RGV.

18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Hopefully we trade gordonand he becomes 6th man and we see what he has.

19. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think Christopher needs to get the KPJ treatment. If he can improve his shot and become more combo than 2 guard then the Rockets might have their 3 man guard rotation with Green and KPJ. I think he should really look at EG as a model for his NBA career. He'll probably never be the shooter Gordon us but he might be that type of 1/2 difference maker.

20. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

He’s arriving.