1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Patriots @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 5, 2021.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't even feel bad for those people. They knew damn well before the season this is what we were going to get and they still chose to spend the money. I cancelled my season tickets for good reason this year.

htownrox1 and clos4life like this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, there's NO HOPE HERE!

With the Oilers, the bad teams were devoid of talent, so you felt like if they can just get some good draft picks, it could change things. We still had hope!

With the Texans, you feel like even if they did get high draft picks, they will mess it up. I use to think Caserio could save us but after he cut Anthony Miller over 37yr old Amendola AND he gave up a 5th rnd draft pick in the process......I'M THROUGH!

THIS IS THE WORST IT HAS EVER BEEN!

BleedsRocketRed and rockets94-95 like this.
  3. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Well there's a new sheriff in town!
    And he got MAD SKILLS when it comes to incompetence!
    Like the punching power of Deontay Wilder combined with the technical game/charisma of Tyson Fury.

The king is dead!
    Long live the king!

Richie_Rich and B-Bob like this.
  4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You CLEARLY don't know WTF you are talking about. That was all Bud Adams.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

YOU'RE 100% RIGHT! Bud Adam's WAS the worst owner.....Cal has taken the torch and run with it!

In deed, Bud was a horrible owner but he has good personnel people and to me that's the difference. Eventually, good personnel people will get you back on top.

Bud just had bad coaching and that's why they never could get past the 2nd rnd. Just face it, we're screwed until somebody with some sense of intelligence takes the reins from Cal.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Maybe not franchise QB but a placeholder.

I don't think we'll be the worst team this season, maybe like 4 or 5, I think we'll win 5 games still that was my starting prediction. Probably another W in there against the Jags...we play the Jets, another W, Dolphins a possible W, an upset in there somewhere to be sure...

Point is, we might be in a spot where the best person on the board is a DE...we definitely need that. We generate close to 0 pass rush...also could use a corner because poor Lovie is terrified of putting these guys on an island...could also use a LB...A stud WR...we got a lot of holes to fill lol.

Only area on defense I feel safe about are the safeties. Reid is more than good enough and Lonnie is coming into his own as a safety.

7. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Exactly. The Oilers had a top-rate scout team and a GM (Mike Holovak) who had a knack for finding talent and diamonds in the ruff. This franchise is and has been a complete and utter joke from top to bottom.

Richie_Rich, IBTL, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  8. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Actually we could have kept the team here if we’d approved funding for needed upgrades at the Dome (or a new stadium). Well, we built the new stadium a few years later and got a crap franchise in return.

clos4life likes this.
  9. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

No I’m not kidding. There’s no comparison between the success and management of the Houston Oilers and the Houston Texans, When was the last time the Texans hosted a divisional second round game in Houston? Also, how many AFC title games have the Texans been to?

IBTL likes this.
  10. conquistador#11

How they lost the game:
    Dumb BOB style decisions. Why have the punter get under center ? Then They go wild cat because they're desperate to get more than 3 yards per carry. All wild cat did was take the ball away from Mills.which is exactly what hoody wanted.

The decision to go for a 56 yard fg with a kicker that just came back from injury and sucked all game was also huge.
    It really felt like a game from the 2017-2020 years.

Mills with a wow game.
    Safeties I'd lock them up for the future.
    Greenard and Lopez were good.

But can Culley really be blamed? He has been the fall guy since day 1, well compensated.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Agree with most everything here except that the Oilers did make it to the 3rd round (AFC Championship Game) twice before moving to Tennessee.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The Oilers made it to 2.....78 and 79. Otherwise...
    The Oilers were known as one the biggest chokers in sports. You think 24-0 is bad, that was the 1st quarter of game against the best offense in the NFL. 35-3 was a 3rd quarter lead, against a team using their BACKUP QB. The worst choke in sports HISTORY. The Only thing that tops that that was the Falcons Super Bowl collapse.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. If they had approved it, we would've still had the Oilers. Neither franchise is stellar but just knowing that Cal McNair would not be our owner me dream about WHAT IF.

rockets94-95 likes this.
  14. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

I'm no fan of Billionares pilfering taxpayer money, but if you're going to tell one to f*ck off then you need to do the same to the rest. Amazing how the Astros AND the Rockets got brand new stadiums, with $250M of taxpayer money funding the former and $180M for the latter.

Two BILLION dollars of taxpayer money got us THIS team? And of course the new stadium looks like post-modern garbage, almost as bad as the team.

off topic: Why do only new baseball stadiums look good? The Retro-Revival look produced over a dozen really nice looking stadiums since Camden Yards opened in 1992 (except the marlins park). A great departure from the brutalist concrete domes of the 60s-80s.

Can't really do much with Basketball/Hockey, but they haven't moved on from the Concrete+Steel+Glass recipe.

Football is the biggest offender, You have super old brick stadiums like Lambeau and dozens of great college stadiums and you've done nothing but build monstrosities like Goatse stadium in Atlanta and the new glass monolith in Minny.
    If you're going to spend so much money on these stadiums, why not make them look appealing?

clos4life and B-Bob like this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're tying in ON FIELD with OFF FIELD. Both teams have had On Field choke jobs but Cal has been so INEPT that he has taken it to a whole new level. He has taken a up and coming franchise and has single handedly ruined it in a manner of 2yrs.

#395 hlmbasketball, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Actually, he's never really come to my defense on here.

17. BleedsRocketRed

Come on guys I know the Texans as a franchise has sucked in epically laughable levels but lets not act like the Oilers were anything special as a franchise either. Outside of the late 70's the Oilers were always a team that disappointed when it counted, with their own train wreck issues as well (Bud Adams, Bills game, the Buddy Ryan year...etc) They were not worth keeping at the time, the city as a whole was over them.

Texans are no better obviously. However at least the O's had SOME success really early on in their history. The Texans have been a disaster since their inception.

Houston NFL football as a whole has been a disaster.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That punt to the helmet was amazing though, LOL. Like a junior high game in some non-Texas state.

Buck Turgidson and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

not even mad

showed some flashes/progression, but helped draft position

whag00, cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No. I guess you don't remember the Dome was upgraded in 87 (they took out the exploding scoreboard) after a Jacksonville threat. Adams came back 6 years later with a new threat. This was right after the Buffalo collapse. He proposed a downtown dome with the Rockets as the other tenants (Roof could be lowered for a more intimate Basketball arena). Problem is...he never talked to the Rockets...LOL. There was no way he was getting funding after the city ponied up 6 years earlier. He had NO relationship with Bob Lanier (Mayor). Basically, McNair said "see ya". At that point, the City (people) were sick of Adams and his choking teams. It was Never about support or Money. It was about Adams.