1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans Game Thread: Heat @ Rockets 10/7/2021 (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 6, 2021.

1. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Weren't you like, a main contributing factor to dividing the fan base when Harden was here though? I mean, not even well thought arguments, you just posted so much that you drowned out real arguments.

Weird.

2. PatBev

PatBev Member

Yea he’s the self proclaimed leader who visibly gets butt hurt if anybody out shines him

ThatboyPhuong likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

He is also arguing in support of player who is inefficient score first and ineffectual on defense.

All his same talking points AGAINST Harden.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

MorningZippo and clos4life like this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

But you are stating this as if Sengun has the same skill set, traits, or acumen as those two players you mentioned. Green isn’t a 5 btw and he doesn’t guard large centers night in night out. He played 5 sparingly in that Hampton 5 set. All that said Green is a special PF who can handle, pass, and play D. Dream was still 7ft tall and had enough mass to play against elite big men in those days. Both these players are a rarity. Sengun isn’t as gifted or talented as the two players previously mentioned. He does have some good decision making and passing skills but defensively is a liability as he lacks agility and tenacity on defense not to mention height. I don’t know if he could play the 5 and guard elite bigs in this league the likes of Gobert, Embiid, and Ayton. I don’t see that happening with his size and skill set.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can you explain a real argument over a fake argument? I thought I explained myself well?

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol gobert got neutralized by smallball centers... i dont think sengun will have any trouble guarding anyone....if capela can stop embiied then sengun can as well

you went too literal with draymond.... draymond example is just to show traditional restrictions doesnt apply with exceptional players...sengun is as tough as it gets and hell have to play vs embiied only sparingly just like you stated for draymond

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Forward Jae’Sean Tate, who sat out Thursday’s game with back tightness, went through portions of practice. He is expected to be cleared for the full practice on Sunday and to play on Monday in Toronto. Guard Eric Gordon, who was out with a sore left ankle, did not practice though Silas said the Rockets are being “extra cautious.

“It kind of came from out of nowhere,” Silas said. “He’ll be fine.”

D-rock and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

like I said my man you specifically compared him to Hakeem and Green both whom are special players as I’ve said. There’s few players that can play like those two. Sengun isn’t that and won’t be that especially watching him throughout the pre season and summer league. And again capela is a talented defender with long arms, strength and size. I’m not sure if Sengun can be a legitimate 5. Not sure how tall Sengun really is as he’s listed at 6’9 or 6’10. He looks quite short compared to Dedmon last game maybe even 6’8. You are over valuing him as a defender in the paint. That’s what it comes down to.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

If Donkey can be a center in today's NBA so can Sengun. He is not athletically gifted but he can give you enough on defense and rebounding I think. He will develop into a good 5.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

If you’re referring to Green who is a man btw not an animal then your analogy makes little sense. Two different players. Green isn’t a center btw except when they played the Hampton 5 set years ago. He doesn’t guard centers unless switched up. Not sure why Sengun is compared to superior players in green and Hakeem etc. have you seen Sengun play defense in the summer league and pre season? It’s not good.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Want to see more of Garuba.

And not just in garbage minutes.

Rashmon, ApacheWarrior and saleem like this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Jalen Green isn't selfish. I liked his P/R with Theis. He has good range on his jumper. The G-league stint has helped him. He will get better as he gets stronger. I like his steals too.
    He's gotta long to go on defense, but I like his positive attitude. @ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, his defense with Ignite was cast in a negative light; but he often took himself out
    of defensive position by over playing defense and trying to anticipate way to often
    and suffered as a result.

It was way to easy to fake and Jalen would bite which opened a lane for the offensive
    ball handler to just coast through. I knew the Rockets would preach to him staying
    more in front of his defender and react instead of anticipate. Still see glimpses of
    Jalen trying to jump the route trying to deny where he thinks the ball handler wants
    to go. But I also see better judgement and communication now from teammates
    than I could see from G-league teammates. *Side note: Its different when forcing
    a player one way knowing you are setting up the ball handler to go where the help
    defense is ready to trap the ball handler.

I would like for Jalen to use the rim more to shield off the defender from blocking his
    shot. Green was not use to the speed and leaping ability of one Adebayo. But that
    turning the edge and getting the angle in front of the defender and dunking it was
    Kobs-Jordan like at age 19. Thats what I was looking for in summer league.

Quick enough to get past his defender and force help defense to come over.
    For ever action there is a reaction and with that cutters or slashers to the rim
    will become available. The passing of Green has been underrated; if you look
    at his highschool footage he pulls off very good passes.

His lobs are a tad off and needs work; but he can hit a streaming cutter/slasher
    with a bounce pass or shuffle pass. I've never seen him as selfish....just lacking
    space while with the G-league Ignite.

**On another side note: I don't know if other people saw this; but Eric Gordon was
    doing a lot of coaching on the court as I saw him quite often directing traffic
    and pointing out where these young players needed to be on the court.
    Eric didn't play vs the Heat and the young players suffered accordingly.

Different quality of opponent as well as I see Washington and Rockets both battling
    for 10th in their respected conferences and Miami as one of the elite teams in
    the league. Challenging Nets/Bucks for top 3 in the East.

#1213 ApacheWarrior, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    saleem likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure what you are watching, Sengun defense has been very good. The stats and defensive ratings back that up.
    Also, Draymond and Sengun aren’t very different athletically

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Likewise. I'm seeing good things from Garuba.

Two games now and both games had the Rockets streaking when he enters the
    game. Not sure how much of it is Josh and Armoni Brooks?

I want to see Garuba away from Josh and Brooks.

Poor Garuba gets no love here on CF's. He is the stepchild where Sengun
    is the biological kid. Kinda reminds me of Terrence Jones and DMo.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. NewAge

NewAge Member

This comment didn't deserve pushback. Sengun is a bit small, nothing wrong with wishing he was a bit bigger and taller. He's still quite promising, whether 4 or 5...

Stephen_A likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Are you blind

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Garuba looks very raw on offense and defense. His one on one defense looks elite. He is currently lost on team defense. He is nowhere close as an offensive player. I fully expect for Garuba to spend most of this year in the G-League. That said I am extremely high on him and think he will be a starter and all-defensive 1st teamer at some point in the next couple of years. Seguin is much further along and I expect him to start this year at some point. Theis is an ok role player, but I can’t see the fit on this team at all, unless there is an injury. He will be in the starting line-up for a while, but at some point this year he will be relegated to a 15-20 min bench player.

I expect Josh will also go to the g-league to start the season, although I don’t like it. There is just not going to be enough minutes for him until Gordan is gone. Brooks needs to be signed in my opinion. He is an elite shooter and we will definitely need zone busters in the next year or two. People are going to sleep on Tate. He is going to be a very good SF defensively and will help immensely to make up for Green’s lack thereof. Green will improve, but until he gets some sand in his pants he is going to get abused. KPJ’s defense is improving every time I watch. Before too long, I think he will be an average one on one defender. He might be better equipped to guard SG’s and let Green try to stay in front of the quicker PG’s, although strong guys like Lowry are going to kill him and fighting through screens is going to be next to impossible. Sequin will be better equipped than both Theis and Wood when switching. He is not all that quick, but really moves his feet well and his bbiq is off the charts.

clos4life and hakeem94 like this.
  19. YallMean

YallMean Member

That’s sienfield like.

D-rock and palmsnbananas like this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I expect Garuba to spend time in the G-league up until mid December.

All he has to do is tighten up his rotations defensively.

And as far as offense, he runs the screen part of Pick-n-Roll like Capela.
    As other bigs in the NBA say, "That's the easy job in basketball."

Don't make it more complicated than that. See Willie Cauley-Stein or Marjanovic of Dallas
    during the days of Silas.