1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets sign Daniel Theis (4 years, $36M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 2, 2021.

1. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

I've been trying to make sense of this signing ever since July...But, I think the Rockets made the right move to sign him.

We didn't know how Sengun would look against NBA competition, so it made sense to sign him. Now we have 3 centers to rotate in the 4/5 slots, and I like having Theis there if Alp has foul trouble or if Wood is stinking it up or gets injuried.

If We (knock on wood) stay injury free, and Alp, Cwood and Garuba play well, We can trade Theis pretty quickly. He has a good contract and can be useful in the right situation. All in all, even if he's not as impactful for us as We hoped, he's still easy enough to trade.

I would like to see Alp play more though. if our offense is going to look like this in the regular season, then we need a passing big to get our offense going. I like Alp setting screens, getting the ball in the high post and create looks for the guards and CWood

2. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I love Sengun and Garuba, but they need some time. There is no sense that Sengun have to figft 20 minutes agains a C like Dwight Howard or Steve Adams.
    His body is not ready for that.
    In 1 or 2 years they will be ready.

3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

LMAO A 19 year old isnt ready to play 20 minutes of basketball BAHHAHAHAH

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I'snt ready to play agains hard players.
    They muscle are no ready.
    Remember Dmo.

5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Stop it lol

6. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

????

D-rock likes this.
  7. fattz

fattz Member

Both have played with grownups already last year and did better than average at the age of 18 and younger. One was a starter on the best non NBA team in the world and the other was the league MVP of the 3rd best league in the world. The NBA is not the only league in the world, and g league is a joke compared to other leagues. Keeping them out of the real rotation spots is just lazy coaching and not putting the team’s long term goals ahead of some meaningless regular season wins in a non playoffs run. Playing sub par to average vets instead of our future players is almost criminal, IMO. The Thies, Gordon and Houses of the world are not going to make a difference now or later for us. Coach needs to be focused on development or gone. The worst thing that could happen is some patched up veterans led push by our coaching staff. If Silas wants to make a run with rehabbed vets then he needs to be reassigned.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Both these guys played big minutes on quality teams in good professional leagues. If anything, they are both more prepared physically than pretty much any other prospects their age

D-rock likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Lol sengun gonna school both these when they meet not sure bout garuba tho

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Alpi is the best passer on this team, (and the most willing one), i like kpj, augustin and the aussie guy but hes the best

D-rock, AroundTheWorld and Losmi_34 like this.
  11. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

if Alp did not come to NBA and transferred an Euroleague club ( exp. Anadolu Efes) he would take 15- 20 min.s from bench so it is not bad for at least half a year learning and coming from bench. And thesis would facilitate this process.

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

an impressive -23 tonight on the box score

D-rock likes this.
  13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I miss Olynyk already. I wish we weren't paying Wall that huge contract so we could re-sign Olynyk. Professional vet and makes smart decisions on court.

Bo6 likes this.
  14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I thought Theis was brought here to set hard picks for the guards and wings all night long. Where is that?

D-rock and ThrillaNManilla like this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

his picks are charmin soft

D-rock and cheke64 like this.
  16. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I've seen enough, trade him for Ben Simmons.

D-rock likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

They're trying to build chemistry on the floor right now so any plays--even the most basic like setting picks--is off the table. Remember, it's "Chaos Offense"

cheke64 and jch1911 like this.
  18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Theis is horrendous...he was getting embarrassed by Precious last night and last week by BAM, He is a backup center and he should only need 20 minutes a game. Sengun is physical, a elite passer and a good rebounder. Stone had his first bad signing....Theis is wasting our money and we need the 43 miilion dollar man off the bench and playing games

D-rock likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

But but the Rockets sets plays they're just private. They don't let the media in.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Can't wait for him to be gone.

Even if he ends up being a solid role player, there is no reason to have him taking minutes from Tate, Martin, Sengun or Garuba.

I hope he and Exum are solely for matching purposes for some sort of trade down the line.

I cannot stand the fact that Exum, House, Gordon, Wall, Theis and Augustin are eating roster spots. I'd take a flier on Doumbouya over any of those has beens.

Bo6 and D-rock like this.