1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[I'm ignorant] Educate me on Silas' offensive system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Oct 7, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I've never pushed back on the idea to play/start Sengun alongside Wood. I'm just saying that bringing up the Lakers as evidence spacing is not the way to go is...well...not the way to go. Sure you can't preach spacing as the end-all, be-all but if you watched the game against Miami this team had little to no spacing every time they're down on the offensive end. That makes it harder for everyone to try and get a quality shot, regardless of distance/location.

I'd actually like to see Sengun play with the starters in lieu of Theis just for the simple fact that Sengun is not a complete zero on offense. If the offense collapses and Sengun as the ball at the top of the 3 point line, he's shown us that he has the ability to drive to the basket and that opens up opportunities where he can score, get to the foul line, or find an open man.

Also, if we are assuming that KPJ and Green are 2 of our best scorers, they need space to operate. They're not on Harden's level where he can counter a defense clogging the middle with step back 3s yet. They need room to create their own shots.

D-rock likes this.
  2. NewAge

NewAge Member

so in Silas' mind Theis is a spacer? I am not convinced...

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

please keep the politics out of GARM

fattz and D-rock like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

except Sengod!

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Watch where Theis positions himself, on perimeter.

And how many missed 3's has he taken?

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Plus Garuba and Nwaba.

hakeem94 and fattz like this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

Silas' only job this year is to get that number one pick. I am fine if they all run around clueless and in parabolic circles. Just want Green to learn how to be ball dominant, get to the foul line, and pass. That is literally all I care about. Add another top pick, and then get to gettin. Give Silas a complete waiver this year before holding him accountable for progress.

8. dmoneybangbang

I hope Silas takes a leaf from coach Bud’s book when he took over the young Bucks team, just simplify everything.

jch1911 and hakeem94 like this.
  9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is a bizarre stance to take. Sure, it fulfills your end goal, but what if he’s not getting that mandate from Stone and Fertitta? What if they are telling him that, despite the youth on the roster, they want as many wins as possible, and this is what he’s putting together? And most coaches would have more integrity than to put two years of doing nothing on film.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  10. NewAge

NewAge Member

Awesome! We get #1 pick, we draft White KD and pair him with Black Justin Bieber and next year we’ll be the weirdest freak-show in the entire NBA!

bmelo and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

LOL to be fair the guy you mentioned Garuba, Silas has him with 3rd stringers and not even coming off the bench. They'll proabbly send him to G league and our defense will be atrocious. Honestly I hope Sengun takes the starting C spot and they dont send Garuba to the G league. This interior defense we have now is soft like charmin.

NewAge and hakeem94 like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas resume as first time HC will look sweet amirite?

Career suicide dude.

13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Some of ya'll get tanking and rebuilding confused. The warriors tanked when Klay got injured they sat their stars and got Wisemen out of it they coulda won more games though. We will likely lose no matter how good of a coach SIlas is. Is that really tanking or just growing pains because we have a bunch of 19 year olds on the roster. SIlas will try to win (Eventhough I think his rotations right now suck I dont think he is trying to suck) but we likely wont so its best not to have your expectations up too high.

palmsnbananas and NewAge like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you said thicc AND SKILLED

D-rock likes this.
  15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sitting your best players and doing absolutely nothing as a coach are two different things, too. The Rockets have already done the first one. No need to do the second.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  16. steddinotayto

Fun facts:

Players picked in the Top 3 who had a coach with only 1 or 2 years of HC experience in the past 10 years going in their rookie season:

2011: Enes Kanter (3rd); Head coach Tyrone Corbin (lasted two more seasons until he was fired after the 2013-2014 season)
    2012: Michael Kidd Gilchrist (2nd): Head coach Mike Dunlap (lasted just one year)
    2013: Victor Oladipo (3rd); Head coach Jacque Vaughn (fired midway through 2014-2015 season)
    2014: Jabari Parker (2nd); Head coach Jason Kidd (lasted three more seasons until he was fired midway through 2017-2018 season)
    Joel Embiid (3rd); Head coach Brett Brown (lasted until the end of the 2019-2020 season)
    2016: D'Angelo Russell (2nd): Head coach Luke Walton (lasted until end of 2018-2019 season)
    2017: Lonzo Ball (2nd): Head coach Luke Walton (I'm not going to count his babysitting gig at Golden State as coaching)
    2018: Deandre Ayton (1st); Head coach Igor Kokoskov (lasted just one year)
    2019: Ja Morant (2nd); Head coach Taylor Jenkins (still coach)
    2020: Anthony Edwards (1st); Head coach Ryan Saunders (fired midway through Edwards' rookie season)

Y2JT and theDude like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Touche

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Most coaches dont last long no matter the situation.

34to11 and hakeem94 like this.
  19. steddinotayto

fify

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

The problem with our "spacing" is it isn't true spacing because we don't make use of the space inside the 3 point line.

NewAge likes this.