1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ted Lasso Best show on TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

It was intentional!

https://tvline.com/2021/10/08/ted-lasso-finale-nate-ending-explained-coach-season-3/

TVLINE: Before we dive too deep, I wanted to ask about something that is very much on the surface: Nate’s hair. Was that cosmetic alteration always intended to be part of Nate’s larger transformation in Season 2?

Nick: Absolutely… We discussed it quite early on. I’ve got flecks of grey hair on my temples, but they actually painted those black in Season 1 to give Nate a slightly more youthful quality. But we really liked the idea, and I remember chatting to Jason [Sudeikis] about it, and then to our makeup designer Nicky Austin, about how cool it would be to track Nate’s descent — the stress, the guilt, the anxiety, the shame… You hear often about all of that affecting someone’s physical appearance, and we liked the idea of using that to track his transformation. So yes, it was absolutely in it from the start. You can really start noticing it from Episode 5 onwards, as we were painting in gray hairs. It was a continuity nightmare, but it was worth it, and something that people have only just started to catch onto in the latter end of the season.

steddinotayto likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

As much as I hate his character's fall from grace, Nick did an outstanding job and should get a lot of award nominations.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yep, agreed! One thing I really like about this show is that most (if not all) of the secondary characters had either their own story arc, a scene in which they're heavily featured, a scene in which they'd definitely be nominated for an Emmy, or sometimes all 3. Even minor characters had something.

Sam had Edwin and rebelling against that one Nigerian company.
    Jamie had his dad and Keeley.
    Isaac (team cap) had the fact that he did badass haircuts.
    Dani had the fact that he killed the canine mascot.
    Higgins had his family.
    Beard had his own episode.

List goes on and on. The focus wasn't on just Ted nor was everything done for Ted.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It was a good change of pace but the way they used bits and pieces from the previous episodes and put it into the finale
    like Dani's penalty kick was to remind us of what happened many episodes and story lines ago, Jamie becoming a good person/teammate but then gets throwaway lines in the end, etc
    was a bit much. Nonetheless, still one of the best shows on TV.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

It’s nice to have something good in these past few ****ed up years.

clos4life, JW86, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There’s only so much room to show you the flip of Nate’s character, they hinted to it quite a bit particularly with all his dad stuff. I’m cool with that.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Seems like this has been discussed… as I’ll admit I’m old and much have caught a 2-3 minute nap at one point during an episode or two lol… but the Nate transformation is in now way explained anywhere close to logically. When he was blowing up at Ted in the finale I really didn’t know what the deal was.

Or how about the last scene between keely and Roy? They could have at least tried to make it make sense. Hey surprise I’m taking you on a 6 week vacation TOMORROW!! I know you’re starting a business and all but I thought this was a great idea!! … oh so sad, can’t go but go ahead and go on that 6 week vacation all on your own!!
    Like…. What?

tint little things like that made this season less successful.

still very entertaining and watchable show. Will keep watching for sure.

BigM likes this.
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My sense is that he is hired to take over for Keeley.

Agreed. No real idea where all of that came from. Was he that pissed that they hired Roy to the staff? There was no obvious thing that happened to make that level of anger make sense.

Longer vacations are more of a norm in Europe but you're not wrong. Was a strange set up for something. Maybe they're not sure that Juno Temple will be back for season 3?

As much as this has been, football wise, one of the most accurate and well done representations in fictional tv/movies ever, there are some things that are just silly. The American football "plays" in the season 1 finale against Manchester City. Nate even being hired to a staff after being a towel boy...let alone his next job heading a Premier League club? C'mon. Unless somewhere in the time lapse that he got his professional coaching license, this would obviously never happen. But fiction is fiction...

I have no opinion here. I loved Sam's reaction to the freakout Edwin had. Edwin is clearly a dude who has never been told no before. I don't think we have seen the last of him.

All in all, a fantastic season and definitely one that will win them many awards and entrench this show as one of the greatest of this decade. 3 season feels too short but it might be hard to turn this into something that would last longer without ruining the quality. Can't wait for season 3.

9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

On Nates blow up at Ted: A lot of what he said were criticisms that the show has gotten about the Ted character. They took things that critics and the public have said negatively about him and vocalized it through Nate, which I thought was pretty good stuff. It also reflects a lot of things he feels about his own father. Similar to how Sam addressed Ted but said what he wanted to say to Rebecca, I think Nate addressed Ted and said a lot of things he wanted to say to his father.

clos4life, daywalker02 and DaDakota like this.
  10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Nick Mohammed explains a lot of how Nate got to that point

Rashmon, clos4life, ryan_98 and 2 others like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just started watching it and have only seen the first two episodes. I can really see the appeal and might binge the rest over Thanksgiving.

DaDakota likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Welcome aboard BELIEVER!

DD

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

But West Ham really lmao.

WH are on fire these past 2 seasons though, riding high.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So we are all passive aggressives, duly noted!

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I just finished season one and the show is superbly written.

I'm avoiding reading this thread to avoid spoilers for season 2 but i'm really enjoying the show.

clos4life, rocketsjudoka and DaDakota like this.
  17. Roscoe Arbuckle

This past Halloween.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wife and I finished binging 1 & 2 on Sunday....we both really enjoyed it.

The story took some surprising turns but its all feels authentic and believable, the whole cast is pretty great, looking forward to season 3.....

DaDakota likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have been binging on it over the weekend and am halfway through the second season. I'm not reading much of this thread to avoid spoilers but it's lived up to billing as one of the best shows on.

In addition to being heartfelt and very funny it manages to keep from drowning in shmaltz with enough character flaws and conflict to keep it interesting.

On a personal note as someone who had been a longtime college coach I find the team dynamics very compelling. I had the experience trying to coach a Jamie Tartt type player who was far and away the best athlete on the team but also selfish and entitled and how Ted Lasso handled that situation was far better than I did. For those who haven't played or coached sports beyond the youth level both this show and Cobra Kai have very good insights into how team dynamics work and the often very difficult relationship between coaches and star players.

Rashmon and MadMax like this.
  20. Roscoe Arbuckle

[​IMG]