1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(OFFICIAL) Post preseason game hot takes thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Oct 5, 2021.

1. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

My thoughts exactly on both Green and Sengun. I was impressed with how Green responded to his shots not falling. Didn't sulk, didn't let that affect his other aspects of game, kept being aggressive, got fouled, missed even free throws but kept going, made a dunk, followed up with a midrange, tried again but missed, but it says a lot about mentality/potential how they respond to something negative

UTSA2step, Roxfan4lyfe and ArtV like this.
  2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Props for the Benny Anders reference. He was my favorite college bench player of all time. Energy and spark. Dunked with flair.

3. MystikArkitect

My initial knee jerk reaction:

Trade Wood and Gordon for someone who compliments this team.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

People talking about team fits, but this is not the team we want to build fits for. That team is at least a year and maybe two away. Work on the foundation and preserve options.

peleincubus, UTSA2step, ArtV and 2 others like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

A backcourt of Porter/Green is likely going to be really bad defensively. There can be improvement over the next few seasons.... but Green is a rookie with an offensive game far more advanced than his defense, and Porter is still trying to establish himself and while he has tools, he was terrible last year defensively.

When you have bad defenders at both spots in your starting backcourt, it is really hard to be a good defensive team. Go look at the Trailblazers for example.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Agreed completely. This is why people thinking that this team is going to find immediate success are going to be disappointed. They have the makings of a team that will score 125 and give up 127.

It doesn't mean I'm "hating on Kevin Porter Jr", etc etc like some people here say. They look at the names on our roster and assume we are a 46 win team. I'd say 35 would be impressive, because that would mean significant defensive potential is manifesting. We have enough guys like Theis, Garuba, Nwaba, Tate that should be able to cover some sins.

NewAge likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

All I wanna know is, can Porter Jr shoot 38-40% from 3. Can he get his TS on 60% or hihger.

burlesk, Crashlanded19 and D-rock like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't expect a lot of wins this season. Not saying that we should tank. Winning is not the top priority. Player development and system installation is.

Stone needs to figure out rotation, optimal lineups, defensive schemes, offensive sets, etc. They also need to figure out which players are the team's future and who we want to ship out eventually.

burlesk, ArtV and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Those are elite numbers.

You may need to lower expectations for his 1st season.

HP3 likes this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I want Porter jr to hit 48% from 3 with 70% TS......and 68 home runs

Go Astros!!!!!!

burlesk, catarax05 and D-rock like this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

TS 55%, 35% 3PT, 52% EFG

Those %’s are all about 2% below league average, I’m hoping both Green and KPJ can hit those. 2-1 A/TO ratio for KPJ would also be nice if he’s claiming PG.

burlesk likes this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

The league average is 57 TS% :eek:

D-rock likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yep .572%

Last year was the most effecient year in NBA history, players and teams have gotten so efficient, that the 73 win 2016 Warriors team would have only landed at #10 in offensive efficiency last season.

burlesk and HP3 like this.
  14. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Meet the g that killed me

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  15. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Hate on the stats nerds if you want...

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  16. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Needs to get back in the gym with Harden for foul-drawing lessons

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. Slabhurta3

Slabhurta3 Member

Exactly!

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’ve seen enough. I think Sengun should be starting and Wood should be coming off the bench.

Sengun just does so many of those things like Olynyk did last year that really helps the young wings. I just don’t see how Wood really does things to help the overall play. Harden made him look reaaallllyyy good last year.

19. dobro1229

And yes Olynyk should have been resigned. Theis I don’t think will expand his game like they had hoped. Solid big man towards the end of the rotation, but that’s not really what benefits this team right now.

Theis was probably a bad signing.

D-rock likes this.
  20. dobro1229

I’ve seen enough… Josh Christopher is going to be a good version of Russell Westbrook.

rhee and burlesk like this.